What are the benefits of unlocking a cell phone?

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
I've had maybe 4 or 5 cell phones over the past years and I've never unlocked any of them, because simply, I didn't know what the benefits are. So now I'm curious as to what are the benefits of unlocking a cell phone (more specifically a Verizon cell phone)?

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
It's all about flexibility. More flexible in usage, and also more flexible when you want to sell it. This is especially true of quad-band GSM phones, such as the SE w810i I'm about to buy online tonight :) Can't decide if I want to splurge and get a 4GB due card with it... I'll at least get a 2GB one.

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
I read that since Verizon forces people to pay 25 cents to send a picture from the phone, unlocking it (or perhaps correctedly termed flashing the firmware in this case) allows easy phone to PC transfers of all files. Is that something unlocking a cell phone can do by the meaning of flexibility?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: MazerRackham
It's all about flexibility. More flexible in usage, and also more flexible when you want to sell it. This is especially true of quad-band GSM phones, such as the SE w810i I'm about to buy online tonight :) Can't decide if I want to splurge and get a 4GB due card with it... I'll at least get a 2GB one.

Get a K790A. Much better camera and slightly improved interface. :)