What are the advantages/disadvantages of Linux over Windows?

Xernex

Jul 15, 2002
Just curious as I was thinking of trying out Linux for something different, but don?t know if it?s worth it. I only use my comp for general purpose stuff like web browsing, chat and lots of game playing ^_^. I?m not a programmer or anything like that so although I use my PC a lot it?s not for anything work related etc. So is it worth it for someone like me to try out windows?

Probably my biggest question is game and program support though, what?s Linux like for games these days do all the latest games that get released run off Linux no worries right off the bat? Or are their usually many problems?

Any other advantages? (apart from the fact its free)

Thanks.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Yes, try out windows.

Plenty of games work using wine or winex. But really, if you have to ask if it is worth learning something, Linux probably isn't for you.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
But really, if you have to ask if it is worth learning something, Linux probably isn't for you.

That and games, if they're important to you, you should probably buy console or stick to Wintendo.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
UT2004 comes with native linux support (ie put the cd in the drive, install the game and you're off, just like windows).

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Something like 7 out of 10 of the top most popular games can be made to run on linux. Like ut2003/ut2004 run natively in linux, stuff like BF1942 can be made to run thru WineX.

WineX will knock off some performance though because of the translations it has to make to have windows version executables and directx stuff translated to Linux executable formats. Some games can be run at near windows performance levels, most games you going to see some performance hit. Varies from title to title. Some games are just unbearable.

I've run a couple games thru WineX, but mostly I try to stick to linux games that have been ported. Mostly I play quake3 mods, because I like the competetion of online stuff.

Otherwise I just have a Nerdtendo (as my roomate likes to call it.) running thru a Tv capture card(my TV is sitting disused in a corner of the room right now). Games are cheaper and are easy to find. (I go down to the used game shop and pick up a couple old titles time to time, or hit up Ebay)

Reasons for using Linux?

It's cheap. It's secure. It's stable.

You can get tech support for it, just like you can thru windows. But it costs then, just like windows.

No unneccessary pop-ups, pop-unders, viruses, worms, spyware, adware, and all sorts of crap that you pick up and have to regularly clean from windows stuff.

It's easier to run internet services from home. Like a personal website, for instance. I like to use ssh to connect and transfer files to and through the various computers that end up using over a week or so. It's nice to play around with different things like that (but you do have to be carefull, a badly configured Linux box is as easy/easier to hack as a any Windows box.)

It's nice to have if your a computer enthusiest, even if you don't use it as a desktop. It's a very powerfull tool to have at your disposol. Also if your into developement and like to hack away at programming time to tme then Linux is a very friendly enviroment.

Customization is also nice. You have a much wider veriaty of choices to what programs you want to use or need to use. Most of them are free and open.

It's definately daunting to use if your use to being a fairly knowledgable Windows guy.

On badly supported(hardware makers supporting linux is the real problem) hardware, linux can be a nightmare to try to install, and it will never quite work correctly. But that's becomming less and less as time goes on. On hardware that is supported well, a install is actually somewhat easier then a windows install.

It's considured more difficult to use by most people.

But it's more difficult in the same way that a big tank-like catapiller tractor is more difficult to operate then a lumbering SUV with automatic cruise control. If getting from point a to point b is most important then the SUV (windows) is going to be much better/easier (except for the occasional faulty tire-induced rollover) for you, but then again have you ever tried to dig a trench or tried to knock down a building with a SUV?

Xernex

Jul 15, 2002
Thanks for the replies guys, i think i'll probably stick with windows for now.

And thanks for all that insight drag.

pitupepito2000

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Nothinman
But really, if you have to ask if it is worth learning something, Linux probably isn't for you.

That and games, if they're important to you, you should probably buy console or stick to Wintendo.

just curous Nothinman, was that Wintendo on purpose or was it supposed to be Nintendo

pitupepito2000

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
hey drag is winex, free for download linux other gnu programs or not. I cannot tell by their documentation. Some parts say that it's free, like in the CVS, but in others it says it isn't.

thanks,
pituepito

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: pitupepito2000
hey drag is winex, free for download linux other gnu programs or not. I cannot tell by their documentation. Some parts say that it's free, like in the CVS, but in others it says it isn't.

thanks,
pituepito

I think you can download it via CVS for free, but if you want binaries it will cost you. Not positive though.

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Originally posted by: pitupepito2000

thanks,
pituepito

I think you can download it via CVS for free, but if you want binaries it will cost you. Not positive though.

You can get the CVS code for free. It's all tied into the Wine project stuff (nowadays they are different enough you can run them side by side, were before you would get dependancy conflicts). However Transgaming had to make a few closed source style agreements to get their hands on the some of the software technology.

For instance many games use the installer sheild type stuff and other protections to prevent people from pirating the games. WineX's software will allow you to get past paraniod installers. Some of the directX stuff is like that, too, I think.

WineX also has a front end that propriatory, and incorporates the installer software. It also can handle all the packaging needed for WineX.

For instance you can download and install (they even have deb packages) the front end. Once you have that installed you open it up and it can download the actual WineX software from online servers (once you give your username and password). It can even juggle between different versions of WineX incase a newer version breaks compatability with one of your games.

It has the normal cludge and clunkyness of most propriatory software, but it works well and makes it fairly easy to manage games and run stuff well.

You also get access and ability to post in their (crappily formatted) online forums. They also allow you a single vote in determining the outcome of various polls and questions. Like for instance what game to concitrate on getting working next, or what bugs to concitrate on fixing first. If you want more voice in the community you simply pay more.

It works off of a monthly subscription rate, with a minimal 3 month subsciption. 5 bucks a month(IIRC). You can keep and operate the software beyond those initial 3 months if you like. There is no activation or anything, but you loose your vote and the ability to get any updates.