What are tanks for?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Retro2001
Zim: If you ever have a few days to kill, visit your library and check out this book, " "The Effects of Nuclear War" (Washington: Office of Technology Assessment, Congress of the United States, 1979)" refrenced in the link. Its an adventure. (mmm....Nuclear Winter...)

Peace,
Will

Will thanks for the book suggestion, I will definately put it on my "to read" list.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001

you seem to believe in the rationality of man.... too bad man isn't entirely rational:p try reasoning with someone in a cult.. or even a cult leader. it is impossible

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
I think we should hire you to go over to other countries and give [REMOVED] to our enemies...after all, how can they attack us if you're giving them a [REMOVED]?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: bsobel
Originally posted by: rgwalt
War is a sin, but sometimes it is a necessary one.

I just have to ask; I'm reading 'sin' in the Christian context, I presume that is what you intended. If so, how exactly is 'war' a sin? Are the war's that the God helped out in (you know, knocking down protective walls so the inhabitants of some besieged city could be slaughtered) sins too?

Bill

might fall under wrath... i think war goes against kindness.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
I would love to live in a world composed entirely of pacifists. Except me. I'd take over the world with a spork from Taco Bell.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
I love it when the second people hit college it becomes cool to be counter-culture. Gotta love elitist people, good old self-righteous people who think they are so enlightened while the rest of the world is SO barbaric and cruel. You're especially cool if you pick on the United States.
rolleye.gif

*edit* The points you raise are nothing new. I'm sure people have been rehashing this shat you're reciting since the U.S. became a superpower. Thanks for bringing up your opinion about the evils of society with no recommendations for what can be fixed. Grow up, utopias don't exist because they don't work.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
> might fall under wrath... i think war goes against kindness.

But the old testimate is full of stories of wars where God him/her/itself helped out the Isralei's during battle. And these stories weren't defensive... How can it be a sin if God's taking part?
Bill

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
> might fall under wrath... i think war goes against kindness.

But the old testimate is full of stories of wars where God him/her/itself helped out the Isralei's during battle. And these stories weren't defensive... How can it be a sin if God's taking part?
Bill

who knows, but wrath is one of the seven sins.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
I think we should hire you to go over to other countries and give handjobs to our enemies...after all, how can they attack us if you're giving them a handjob?

Oh, I think he could do more than just handjobs... although, with handjobs he can take two at once...

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Retro2001
What are tanks (in the military since) for? Give up? KILLING PEOPLE. Same goes for Fighters, Bombers, Artillery, M-16s, etc...

DUH?

What do you think they are for? To impress that new girl?

"Wow, that's a nice tank or F-16 or whatever you got there."
"Thanks. It's much better than that shiny new Mercedes Benz you have."
While shaking head, "I know, I know. I'm at such a low status class."

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Those Tanks and Bombers are keeping you from becoming Saddam Hussein's or Osama Bin Laden's bitch, Retro2001. You should be damn happy that we have them, because it would be impossible to defend this country without them.

Seriously though, I think that Anandtech should add an IQ test to the signup process, to keep retards like this guy from posting in Off Topic.

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: gopunk
Originally posted by: rgwalt War is a sin, but sometimes it is a necessary one.
I just have to ask; I'm reading 'sin' in the Christian context, I presume that is what you intended. If so, how exactly is 'war' a sin? Are the war's that the God helped out in (you know, knocking down protective walls so the inhabitants of some besieged city could be slaughtered) sins too? Bill

Who gives a flying rats ass what war is? It's really like an argument. Except, this isn't done in court room, an alley way, or a street in the Bronx and Compton. And, it's a little more "showy".

In the end, you're trying to win an argument. It's fighting over oil prices, land, girls, poverty, girls, diamonds, girls, agriculture, girls, and power.

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Those Tanks and Bombers are keeping you from becoming Saddam Hussein's or Osama Bin Laden's bitch, Retro2001. You should be damn happy that we have them, because it would be impossible to defend this country without them. Seriously though, I think that Anandtech should add an IQ test to the signup process, to keep retards like this guy from posting in Off Topic.

I say we strap him to a tank and take him to war. See if he likes being shot at or not. Yes, it's so you can kill them first before they get to you, not for protection. Now, do you appreciate tanks and other methods of mass destruction?

Thats what tanks are for.

TopGun

Nov 5, 1999
FUN AT THE PEACE RALLY

When you meet a peacenik...

1. Approach ignorant moron talking about "peace" and saying that there should be "no retaliation".
2. Engage in brief conversation; ask if military force is appropriate.
3. When he says "No," ask, "Why not?"
4. Wait until he says something to the effect of, "Because this would just cause a vicious circle of more innocent deaths, which would be awful and we should not cause more violence."
5. When he's in mid sentence, punch him in the face as hard as you can.
6. When he is about to punch you back, point out that it would be a serious mistake and contrary to his values to strike you, because that would "be awful and he should not cause more violence."
7. Wait until he agrees that he has pledged not to commit additional violence.
8. Punch him in the face again, harder this time. Repeat steps 5 through 8 until he understands that sometimes it is necessary to punch back.

rofl, I have to go try that now. :)

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: dude
Originally posted by: gopunk
Originally posted by: rgwalt War is a sin, but sometimes it is a necessary one.
I just have to ask; I'm reading 'sin' in the Christian context, I presume that is what you intended. If so, how exactly is 'war' a sin? Are the war's that the God helped out in (you know, knocking down protective walls so the inhabitants of some besieged city could be slaughtered) sins too? Bill

Who gives a flying rats ass what war is? It's really like an argument. Except, this isn't done in court room, an alley way, or a street in the Bronx and Compton. And, it's a little more "showy".

In the end, you're trying to win an argument. It's fighting over oil prices, land, girls, poverty, girls, diamonds, girls, agriculture, girls, and power.

You can fight over girls... I'll fight over babes :D

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: TopGun
FUN AT THE PEACE RALLY

1. Approach ignorant moron talking about "peace" and saying that there should be "no retaliation".
4. Wait until he says something to the effect of, "Because this would just cause a vicious circle of more innocent deaths, which would be awful and we should not cause more violence."
6. When he is about to punch you back, point out that it would be a serious mistake and contrary to his values to strike you, because that would "be awful and he should not cause more violence."
8. Punch him in the face again, harder this time. Repeat steps 5 through 8 until he understands that sometimes it is necessary to punch back.

Just becareful or you might get punched in jail later that night

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: TopGun
FUN AT THE PEACE RALLY

I heard that this worked pretty well in the 60's, but it probably wouldn't have the same effect today. The hippie would just probably press assault charges against you, and you would end up spending the night in the slammer with a big fine :(

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I think that it would be best to remember that society needs those opposed to war. It does not matter that you disagree with them either from an ideological or practical standpoint, but imagine a country where EVERYONE thinks war is a good thing? The tension between pro and anti military action tends to pull the nation towards center, which is where I would like to be. The use of force is necessary on certain occasions, but a policy of attack when it feels good is not a good thing, just as letting our citizens die at the hands of the Hitlers of the world is a bad thing. To bring it to a personal level, if you come by my home, I would welcome you, but if you tried to murder my family I am quite capable of killing you. Not a pleasant prospect, but true. The goal is to be able to extend that welcome, without being harmed in the process.