What are some of the biggest "IT Guy" stereotypes?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: SLEEPER5555
wow this thread has ballooned to more than i expected. i was looking for just physical appearance type things but you guys went off on it didnt cha?

Another thing i think many IT guys have is long hair, any others?

Check

Originally posted by: her209
Is it just me or do the majority of software engineers think they are entitled to admin privileges on their workstations?

We ARE.

Originally posted by: DougK62
Braided leather belts. I want to slap whoever still wears those.

Get some! :p
It keeps my pants up, and I'm not buying another one until this one wears out or I get too fat.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: JackBurton
Originally posted by: smack Down
Originally posted by: RGN
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Users tend to hate them because they think that their problem is the most important in the universe.

Oh yes, everyone else should drop what they're doing because you forgot your password. Again.

Or after you let it expire after the system prompted you half a dozen times.

Well you are the idiots that implemented expiring passwords.
No, the idiots are the ones that can't understand WHY we implement passwords that expire.

Because you are to incompetent to detect when the password file is compromised.
Setting up password expiration intervals give less of a chance for a system to be compromised in the first place genius. And if you keep b!tching, I'll set your password to expire everyday. Now go back to work and STFU.

No it doesn't. The password expiration does is prevent attacks when you released the password file and reduce the amount of time an unauthorized user can attack your system. You have the password set to 90 days so on average an attacker will get your password from social engineering at 45 days. 45 days is more then enough time to do as much damage to the network so it is pointless.

That leaves your in incompetence at protecting the password file as the only reason.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: hiromizu
Originally posted by: RadiclDreamer
Users tend to hate them because they think that their problem is the most important in the universe.

Oh yes, everyone else should drop what they're doing because you forgot your password. Again.

No, the idiots are the ones that can't understand WHY we implement passwords that expire.

Wow, you are dense. Password changing is implemented so if by chance someone was say looking over your shoulder and got your password they wont have it for long before its changed, this protects you. There is no technical solution for knowing that your password has been breached in meat space

But yea there is, it's called technology..use it! /non IT person

Here is a tip if one day a person logs in local and 20 minutes later log in from china they may have had their password compromised. Are you really counting on expiring passwords to protect your system. Do you think with the 90 day window they can't find a local exploit and get new passwords, login, what ever? Hell in 90 days an attacker could download your whole intranet.

bwatson283

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2006

Setting up password expiration intervals give less of a chance for a system to be compromised in the first place genius. And if you keep b!tching, I'll set your password to expire everyday. Now go back to work and STFU.

No it doesn't. The password expiration does is prevent attacks when you released the password file and reduce the amount of time an unauthorized user can attack your system. You have the password set to 90 days so on average an attacker will get your password from social engineering at 45 days. 45 days is more then enough time to do as much damage to the network so it is pointless.

That leaves your in incompetence at protecting the password file as the only reason.

The hacker can't tell when the 90days are up, they have to assume that the reset period is anyday.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: bwatson283

The hacker can't tell when the 90days are up, they have to assume that the reset period is anyday.

Thats an even stupidier excuse then the last few.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

What are you freakin' retarded? There are SEVERAL steps involved in securing a system. The FIRST rule is, take all the necessary steps to make sure someone doesn't compromise your system. And again, expiring passwords is only ONE step involved in securing the perimeter. I'd rather have a 90 day window instead of an infinite window. You THEN implement an IDS IF someone does compromise your system. It's not either or, it's everything.

Now let the IT guys worry about security. You just need to concentrate on YOUR job and try to figure out how that complex Word program works.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
The only way to make conversation with an IT guy, is to tell them about your personal computer problems.

...like we don't get enough of THAT at work....

Tech support can magically see everything you're doing on your computer and are watching AT ALL TIMES.

We had a user like that back in the days I worked help-desk, and a particularly slackerish guy got her and said, I sh!t you not, "That's a very nice sweater you're wearing"....

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005

What are you freakin' retarded? There are SEVERAL steps involved in securing a system. The FIRST rule is, take all the necessary steps to make sure someone doesn't compromise your system. And again, expiring passwords is only ONE step involved in securing the perimeter. I'd rather have a 90 day window instead of an infinite window. You THEN implement an IDS IF someone does compromise your system. It's not either or, it's everything.

Now let the IT guys worry about security. You just need to concentrate on YOUR job and try to figure out how that complex Word program works.

How quaint, you have a rule book. Now why is expiring passwords necessary and there for falls under rule 1. Because you can't protect your own systems. If you could protect your own systems it would no longer be necessary.