what are some most common VBA and general programming interview questions?

VAisforlovers

Jun 24, 2009
For an upcoming interview, the company says that knowledge of VBA and general programming are highly preferred. What are some basic VBA and general programming questions that someone might get?

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
For an upcoming interview, the company says that knowledge of VBA and general programming are highly preferred. What are some basic VBA and general programming questions that someone might get?

How much is your experience?

VAisforlovers

Jun 24, 2009
How much is your experience?

I've used it during one of my internships and sparingly throughout the past few years. On my resume, I just have them listed under my technical skills with no mention competency level

I feel that I can do anything asked but I have to rely on google searches for help.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
1. Why do you still use VBA?

Lol!

I would probably ask for the difference between a function and a sub and what two keywords you need to require advance declaration of variables.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Just Google vb interview questions. Your going to get asked about syntax, class differences, types, maybe how it's different or the same as other languages. Compile, maybe run time questions..maybe they will make you do fizz buzz lol.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I've used it during one of my internships and sparingly throughout the past few years. On my resume, I just have them listed under my technical skills with no mention competency level

I feel that I can do anything asked but I have to rely on google searches for help.

Then it will vary from basic to intermediate.There are some good online tutorials available for VBA.I would personally ask why do you need VBA? :)

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
The majority of what I do currently is VBA (it is such a waste of time that there aren't many good developers for it). I mainly was asked what projects I worked on previously and what a Class Module was. Was easy for sure.

The difference between a function and a sub is such a stupid question. In fact it is a stupid "feature" of the language. I basically only use a Sub when I don't need a returned value (think void function in other languages). But, you can also have a function that doesn't return anything.

I might have also been asked about collections... can't recall.

It might be best just to state what you're fuzzy about and maybe we can help.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
The majority of what I do currently is VBA (it is such a waste of time that there aren't many good developers for it). I mainly was asked what projects I worked on previously and what a Class Module was. Was easy for sure.

The difference between a function and a sub is such a stupid question. In fact it is a stupid "feature" of the language. I basically only use a Sub when I don't need a returned value (think void function in other languages). But, you can also have a function that doesn't return anything.

I might have also been asked about collections... can't recall.

It might be best just to state what you're fuzzy about and maybe we can help.

You forgot another thing Buddy, function name=return value.This is pure gem :D

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
You forgot another thing Buddy, function name=return value.This is pure gem :D

Yeah that is pretty bad since if you don't specify it anywhere, the function returns a default value as if the type was dim'ed and no value specified.

So if you have a Boolean function and you never set functionname = true/false, it will always return false.

If it forced better requirements, it is as good as saying "return false;" for example, just another way of writing it.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
VBA is that funny looking stuff my excel macro recorder uses right? ;)