what are some good online retailers for buying a laptop?

JC0133

Nov 2, 2010
I have 3 questions.

1. I am looking for more credit able online sources for buying laptops (I now of stuff like walmart and best buy, but they don't seem to have a lot of good options). I know about Amazon and Newegg. These are the main two that I shop from.

Anymore good ones? I live in the US.

2. I notice on amazon, you can filter by Computer Upgrade King. They seem to have MSI and ASUS, etc. How is that different then just buying ASUS?

3. When looking on Amazon, I am having a hard time telling if a laptop is upgrade able or even if it is new. They don't always have new on the laptop labels. I mean, I assume it is new if it doesn't say used but is that a good assumption?

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
I've ordered my last 3-4 laptops from Dell Outlet (during a good sale). I've gotten the laptops at really nice prices, and they have the same warranty as brand new units from Dell. Also, all have been in pristine condition, and they appeared brand new (probably were cancelled orders).

Searching for items, or finding out detailed info on Amazon is just about impossible. For example, search for a X570 motherboard and you get a lot of results for items like Z490 motherboards. In fact, when I order a computer component from Amazon, I usually have to go to Newegg to get the search results first.

Edit: B&H Photo is another legit retailer to order from. I've bought video cards, CPUs, printers, etc. from them over the years, and all the experiences have been solid. However, I've never ordered a laptop from them before.

Shmee

Memory and Storage, Graphics Cards
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What kind of laptop are you looking for? If you are looking for a higher end or custom latpop, check out xotic pc and ava direct, selling things like custom Asus, MSI, Sager/Clevo, etc.

JC0133

Nov 2, 2010
What kind of laptop are you looking for? If you are looking for a higher end or custom latpop, check out xotic pc and ava direct, selling things like custom Asus, MSI, Sager/Clevo, etc.
I do a lot of gaming and content creation but I have roommates, so I don't really have my own space. So I use my laptop for most of it. So I am looking for a high end laptop. Around 2500 - 3000 price wise.

ASK THE COMMUNITY