What are some good games off GoG's catalog

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
What are some good story games off GoG's catalog? I already have Arcanum, DarkStar One and Longest Journey.

Doesn't matter if they are shooters, RTS, adventure, RPG or what long as there's plenty of hours of story. Cutscenes preferred too.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
RPG:
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Planescape Torment
Fallout 1 & 2
Space Quest 1-6

Strategy:
Master of Orion 1 & 2
Master of Magic
X-Com: UFO Defense
X-Com:TFTD
X-Com Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri
Dungeon Keeper
Total Annihilation
Caesar III

Shooters/Other:
Privateer
Descent 1 & 2
Painkiller
Shogo:Mobile Armor Division

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If you haven't played FO 1&2, then you should.

I've never played Planescape or Baldur's Gate games, ...but I will when those are on some crazy sale for $5 or so.

Also: The Spacequest series. such awesome games.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I agree with all of these:

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Planescape Torment
Fallout 1 & 2

If you play and like Fallout 1-2, Fallout Tactics is more combat heavy but still has a decent (if linear) story.

Also, Neverwinter Nights 1 is a great deal at $10, more for the second and third campaigns than for the first. You can also find some good user-created campaigns for it (Adam Miller's collection, Darkness at Daggerford, etc.)

p0nd

Apr 18, 2011
Icewind Dale - like Baldurs gate but more combat oriented. hard but rewarding

Arx Fatalis - very atmospheric first person rpg. dated graphically but it has a certain charm imo. made by the people that later did Dark Messiah. Oh, and this game has probably one of the most innovative and fun spell casting systems I've ever seen.

Temple of Elemental Evil - awesome turn based rpg

Last edited:

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
If you haven't played FO 1&2, then you should.

I've never played Planescape or Baldur's Gate games, ...but I will when those are on some crazy sale for $5 or so.

Also: The Spacequest series. such awesome games.

BG, Planescape worth the 10 bucks each. Can understand waiting for a sale though.

Dungeon Keeper was a fun game back in the day. Now sure how it holds up.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Dungeon Keeper is still awesome and addicting. Definitely get that one.

If you want to play the best RTS ever made (imo), then get Total Annihilation.

The Witcher is CDP Red's own RPG and it's really good.

Not to mention, all the older RPGs like Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment (as everyone mentioned) are awesome.

Lots of good games on there. :thumbsup:

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Some of the games are priced at Promo $2.99. I looked in their FAQ and it talked about Promo Codes for a free $5.99 or $9.99 which obviously has nothing to do with that. So are these $2.99 promos a daily or weekly thing?

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Planescape: Torment = Best game ever made (IMO)
Freespace 2 = One of the best games ever made, and still the best space sim that still looks beautiful (with the fan updated graphics)
Baldurs Gate I and II = Fantastic RPG classics
Masters of Orion I & II = Perhaps the pinnacle of 4x games.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
You realize that GOG has ratings on all of the games they offer and have their own community, right?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Check on GoG.com, and filter the list of available games by their score (stars), those are pretty much the best ones, I just happen to agree with those ratings.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Giant: Citizen Kabuto > *

Well, maybe not, but it's still friggin awesome and easily in my top 10 game of all time.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Outcast, Gothic and Syberia. Syberia is similar to the Longest Journey, which is one of my all time favorites. Recommended to all. Ah, nostalgy ;)

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Most of the games published by interplay back in the day are good. Rayman 2 is good, I just bought that, since my copy doesn't work on 64 bit windows. I use Xpadder and nglide 93.

However, make sure you have nglide v 93 if you have a GTX 460 768MB like I do and want to force AA through the control panel (you also need to move some of Rayman 2's files from their default location to get it to recognize nglide). Under the DX6 rendering path, Rayman 2 looks like shit because it only runs in 16 bit color. Why nvidia and ATi don't just force the the back and front buffers and all textures to 32 bit (via drivers and createDevice command or something like that), I'll never comprehend. AIDA says dithering is supported, but it doesn't look like anything is dithered. It must be only for DXT formats and most DX6 games don't use DXT formats.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
LOL I went to buy games and apparently my bank card doesn't work with GoG as they are international. Oh well, figure it out later I guess.