What are some common things some people do wrong when driving a car with manual transmission?

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
I bought a car with a manual transmission, I haven't driven a manny tranny in about 10 years. I'm trying to brush up, what is the best way to conserve the clutch? E.g., I read that braking instead of downshifting is good, and always shift between 2500 to 3000 rpm's. any other tips?

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Don't prevent rollback on a hill by holding the clutch at the friction point. Use the parking brake.

iluvtruenos

Banned
Apr 14, 2005
Downshifting adds wear/tear on clutch, and uses more gas. Brake instead.

Usually I skip either first or second overall.

It's either 1, 3, 4, 5, or, 2, 3, 4, 5.

From a start where you need the extra torque, start with 1, then rev into about 5k, and shift into 3rd. This does save fuel as you don't need to waste any gas in second. (although the engine might work harder if it's not as powerful).

Missing 1st is also good for mileage, and most cars are able to start in 2nd without problems.

Just learn to 'feel' your engine.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Downshifting doesn't add much wear to the clutch if done properly. Just make sure to rev-match.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
You are supposed to run it to the redline on EVERY shift. At least thats the way the ricer kids around here do it, and I figure if anyone knows cars its those cool cats.

iluvtruenos

Banned
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Downshifting doesn't add much wear to the clutch if done properly. Just make sure to rev-match.

True, but the majority of the kids around here think it's cool to downshift at an RPM high enough to cause the engine to choke and backfire. Whenever I hear 'downshift' I automatically visualize a WRX or something choking.

You're right however, if you do it correctly, it won't add much extra wear.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: iluvtruenos

From a start where you need the extra torque, start with 1, then rev into about 5k, and shift into 3rd. This does save fuel as you don't need to waste any gas in second. (although the engine might work harder if it's not as powerful).

Missing 1st is also good for mileage, and most cars are able to start in 2nd without problems.

This guy has no clue how to drive a stick, ignoring him would be a great place to start.

One of the biggest mistakes people make is slipping the clutch to get the car moving from a stop. This is what causes 99% of the wear on the clutch. If you learn how to let the clutch out and then give it gas as you do very slowly there is no slipping and the clutch will last almost forever if you don't abuse it in other ways. I have sold cars with 150K+ miles on the original clutch.

iluvtruenos

Banned
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Ronstang

This guy has no clue how to drive a stick, ignoring him would be a great place to start.

One of the biggest mistakes people make is slipping the clutch to get the car moving from a stop. This is what causes 99% of the wear on the clutch. If you learn how to let the clutch out and then give it gas as you do very slowly there is no slipping and the clutch will last almost forever if you don't abuse it in other ways. I have sold cars with 150K+ miles on the original clutch.

Thank you. How long have you been driving?

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003

Very QFT.. :thumbsup:

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000

26 years.....stick the whole time. Sorry to be harsh but your post is full of misinformation.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000

26 years.....stick the whole time.

Dont you think its time to stop for a cup of coffee?

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Sluggo

26 years.....stick the whole time.

Dont you think its time to stop for a cup of coffee?

Don't drink it, then I would have to stop and pee. I'm not peeing in a can.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
:eek: dunno, come watch me and youll see every problem.

Ron im guessing you drive a stang? If so what year and model?

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
It annoys me when someone pushes the clutch in and it takes them 20mins to figure out that they are supposed to shift.

Also when starting, its kind of annoying, and shows lack of skill, when someone revs the engine and then lets the clutch out slowly. VRrrrrrrmmm.

-Kevin

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Don't rest your foot on the clutch. Only put your foot on it when you're using it.

Aim for smooth shifts. If you shake the car, you're wearing your clutch.

Practice downshifting until you can do it as well as you upshift. Only downshift when necessary - use your brakes instead if you're coming to a complete stop.

That's about it.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003

Can you explain that a little more? I think I slip the clutch, but I want to make sure. Are you saying let the clutch out first slowly, then give it gas? I let the clutch out slowly while giving it gas slowly at the same time.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: TheLonelyPhoenix
Don't rest your foot on the clutch. Only put your foot on it when you're using it.

Practice downshifting until you can do it as well as you upshift. Only downshift when necessary - use your brakes instead if you're coming to a complete stop.

That's about it.

I have trouble shifting smoothly between 1st and 2nd, and also between 2nd and third. What can I do to correct that?

Thoreau

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
It annoys me when someone pushes the clutch in and it takes them 20mins to figure out that they are supposed to shift.

Also when starting, its kind of annoying, and shows lack of skill, when someone revs the engine and then lets the clutch out slowly. VRrrrrrrmmm.

-Kevin

You just described my manual transmission 'skills.' I've never actually owned a car with a stick, but I basically taught myself by taking new cars on test drives and acting like it's been a while since I drove stick when the salesguy looks at me funny. Totally molested a new Hyundai Tiburon, Dodge SRT4, Acura RSX Type S, Saturn ION Redline, and Audi TT Quattro in this manner, but took it nice and easy when a friend let me drive his 350 Z.

Overall, I tend to give it too much gas on starts and let the clutch out either too slowly or too fast. That damn left foot just isn't used to precision movement like the right foot is.

On a lighter note, not once have I ever ground any gears.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

LOLOL

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
I have 112k on my Chevy, original clutch :)

I wonder when it's gonna go ...

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I usually rev between 1250-1500 RPMS to get the car moving. What method are you other guys using? No-gas method?

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Originally posted by: daveymark
Originally posted by: TheLonelyPhoenix

That's about it.

I have trouble shifting smoothly between 1st and 2nd, and also between 2nd and third. What can I do to correct that?

You're probably letting off the clutch too soon and too fast. Let the revs drop down some, and press on the gas a bit as you release it. Eventually you'll feel out how to make a smooth transition.

Took me about 4000 miles in my car before I could do it. Every clutch is different, you just have to get used to yours.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: daveymark

Can you explain that a little more? I think I slip the clutch, but I want to make sure. Are you saying let the clutch out first slowly, then give it gas? I let the clutch out slowly while giving it gas slowly at the same time.

Yes, I let the clutch out first just to the point of contact and then push the gas and immedialtely let off the clutch. There is no slipping. It is not real hard to master but most people do not even know how to do it or that it can be done. When one of my stepdaughters started driving she wanted to learn stick and I showed her this trick and she does not slip the clutch either and drives a stick better than 99% of the men I have seen.