What are my chip options for a MSI K8N Neo4 board

RoamDog

Dec 28, 2004
I know that a MSI K8N Neo4 board is not a state-of-the-art board, but it is what I have available. So, what CPUs are my options at this point?
(I am guessing that this is old enough that everything is probably a mid-grade chip by today's standards and so I wont have to worry too much about price, but feel free to point out any true bargains).

Jun 8, 2008
You're limited to the old Socket 939 CPUs, so really, not much. You can get the second gen AMD Athlon 64s, but you need to make sure they aren't the AM2 nor Socket 754 versions. I don't even think they sell them anymore, but you can try checking around. These CPUs at today's standards can't really compete with modern mid or low end CPUs, but then again, that's what happens when you work with 3-4 year old technology.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I had the same board. I used a Opteron 165, overclocked to 2.6GHz, and I tried a 3800+ X2
It was a fine overclocking board, and if you can find a CPU to overclock to 3 GHz, it would be close in performance to something like a AM2 6000+ X2 rig.
IIRC, there was not a huge performance difference between the DDR ram the socket 939 used, and DDR2 ram of the AM2, at stock speeds.
Of course, performance compared to a more modern Intel rig , or AMD, would not be close

RoamDog

Dec 28, 2004
Totally understand that this set-up will not be close to a "real" rig. But I have all these parts hanging around and would like to do something other than throw them away. So, I am trying to just get the other needed items to make a working system. Maybe I can use it as a dedicated machine to do video storage and playback or a web server or...

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
attempt to find a cheap 939 x2 chip or dual-core opteron.... pretty much your only hope at this point

i got an old 3800 x2 sittin at 2.8ghz on a msi k8n neo-4 board