What applications benefit most from SSD?

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by micrometers, Aug 7, 2012.

1. micrometers

micrometers Diamond Member

I'm guessing that for SSD it's best to put your OS on there for responsiveness purposes but what else benefits? Photos? documents?

I'm going to guess photos because with photos you tend to flip through 10 mb files and only spend seconds on them.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - applications benefit Forum Date
    Benefits of having 16GB RAM? Memory and Storage Jan 29, 2017
    Fibre Channel Abort - could an application/OS cause it? Memory and Storage Aug 26, 2014
    2nd SSD for the OS/Applications Memory and Storage Aug 13, 2014
    OS and applications on SSD? Memory and Storage Feb 13, 2013
    Raid 5 transfer problems. For bulk storage application Memory and Storage Oct 10, 2012

3. Denithor

Denithor Diamond Member

Photos & documents are actually the last things you want on an SSD. How long does it take you to open a photo on your current HDD? It's just not an issue, they open almost immediately already.

SSDs are more suited to programs that feature lots of reads from/writes to the drive while in use. A good example would be a very large database application, perhaps with multiple users. Searching for info in the database, updating large blocks of info, etc - these are the kinds of things that an SSD accelerates nicely. An SSD also helps with opening large programs quickly. On a HDD, AutoCAD can take a minute or more to open and multiple minutes to load a large 3D rendering. On an SSD you will likely have the project open in less time than it takes to just start up the program on the HDD.

4. Rifter

Rifter Diamond Member

OS, as it draws alot of small files at bootup.

Anything that accesses alot of small files(OS, database) will see most benifit from a SSD, a program that only uses a few files will not see as large of a boost.

5. maxxpower18

maxxpower18 Member

What about audio workstations, or Matlab?

6. hhhd1

hhhd1 Senior member

All different applications loading and saving and closing and file browsing, all involves dealing with many small reads and writes to files and registry.

7. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Any with random I/O.

8. Soundmanred

Soundmanred Lifer

Photoshop CS5 will launch in 2 seconds,, other apps,, 1 secon or 0 seconds. boot up 20 seconds

9. leonlee

leonlee Golden Member

The fast write speeds of an SSD can also significantly improve frame rates of screen-recording programs like FRAPS and Dxtory.

10. KingFatty

KingFatty Diamond Member

Hmmm I kind of like the idea of having photos and videos on an SSD.

Currently I view my family photos and videos on the living room TV using a "slideshow" mode of Picasa that flips through the pictures and videos. It can be annoying and break the sense of immersion when you have to sit and wait on a black screen while the video loads up (my videos are 1080p MP4 from a Samsung compact camera). Also, if I want to flip through the pictures manually, I'm constrained by the speed of the hard drive.

I guess my point is that when you are viewing a slideshow of family photos/videos, I could see that an SSD could actually improve the experience because it should keep the immersion up and avoid waiting on blank screens, and also improve the ability to "flip through" lots of photos quickly.

Has anyone tried this? I plan to migrate my current desktop SSD to my TV's laptop for this purpose, but not yet as I'm waiting for lower prices on 256GB SSDs to do the swap.

11. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Everything.

If you don't want to spend the money on a large enough SSD for everything, then put your media on 16+ GB SD cards or USB sticks.

Say no to mechanical media of all forms unless you are nostalgic for the 1950s and enjoy measuring accesses in kilobytes. Wait.. what's a kilobyte?

#10 exdeath, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  12. thelastjuju

thelastjuju Senior member

Wherever there are load times... wherever you have medium - long load times on an HDD, they vanish into thin air when they are placed on an SSD..

Not for HTPC or media PC usage.. audio and video files will not warrant an SSD what-so-ever. Surely you don't think an SSD is going to launch an MP3 or AVI file any faster than an HDD.. they already launch instantaneously.

13. jhansman

jhansman Platinum Member

Whether one app or another benefits from an SSD, IMO the more important factor is the user experience. While only my important applications are on the SSD, I love that Word or Firefox pop up in 3 sec. (or less), Photoshop in 10; it makes my system much more enjoyable to use. I don't care if my audio editing program or PDF reader take 45 sec. to load from my D drive spinner.

14. nk215

nk215 Senior member

I have pictures (those are raw pictures taking from 5DmkII - very large file) and the Photoshop bridge cache on SSD.

It's not about what will take the most benefit but rather what I use the most often.

15. thelastjuju

MS Word literally launches in a split millisecond for me .. Firefox, in about 1 second.. on a mechanical HDD that is... these are the exact types of lightweight apps that do not warrant being launched off an SSD what-so-ever. Photoshop will indeed though, so will any audio editing programs.

16. KingFatty

KingFatty Diamond Member

Are you sure they aren't already pre-cached into memory to give you those good speeds? Windows can pre-cache stuff and make the HDD-installed apps feel faster than they normally would be if freshly launched from the HDD.

17. micrometers

micrometers Diamond Member

So basically, productivity applications.

I'm going to guess that Source games also would get a nice improvement (they stutter so much)

18. thelastjuju

Not that I know of. On multiple computers, the MS Office suite launches without the slightest bit of hesitation after I click its icon, and firefox is never more than a 1-2 second delay.

Not at all with IN GAME performance.. if you're seeing stuttering while in game, its either the CPU or GPU holding you back.

It will indeed help with LOAD TIMES though, quite dramatically actually. I have an intensely modded game which would take up to EIGHT minutes just to load (on the HDD) and when I got the SSD it takes only about thirty SECONDS till its up and running. A rarer case of course, but you get the idea.