what annoys me...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: theAnimal
Originally posted by: Rattledagger
All the GPU-clients is dated 2008, so I've not got the foggiest idea what's you're talking about...

New core.

Beta DLLs.

And of course ATI releases new drivers every month.
core != client

Ati-Catalyst 9.6 for Vista still puts a download-link on desktop, to the fah-gpu-system-tray-client, a client that has a good chance of dying a horrible death if tries to see WTF it's doing... And, if bothers reading enough of the FAQ, you'll basically see: "oh, and this client doesn't work correctly on Vista, and isn't supported on Vista"...

In other words, an "excellent" client to offer as the only option for Vista-users... :disgust:

As for the cmd, tried the various environment-variables, and managed to either use 100% GPU and sacrificing one cpu-core, or, using 40-50% GPU and negligible cpu. Then tried the 2nd. option, it worked fine until:
[00:43:22] Completed 95%
[00:53:43] - Autosending finished units... [June 30 00:53:43 UTC]
[00:53:43] Trying to send all finished work units
[00:53:43] + No unsent completed units remaining.
[00:53:43] - Autosend completed
[06:53:43] - Autosending finished units... [June 30 06:53:43 UTC]
[06:53:43] Trying to send all finished work units
[06:53:43] + No unsent completed units remaining.
[06:53:43] - Autosend completed
[11:33:09] ***** Got a SIGTERM signal (2)
[11:33:09] Killing all core threads
After manually terminating client, re-started... and BSOD... :(

Well, I did manage finishing the wu, but I won't run any more FAH-gpu-wu's anytime soon. In my opinion it's too unstable, and too much work getting it to run for mediocre result. Also, you've got the "friendly" FAH-forums...

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
core != client

No, but the core is what does the work.

There are far more people having issues with the GPU on XP than Vista.

Is your card OCed? What variable settings did you try?

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: theAnimal
core != client

No, but the core is what does the work.
But the core doesn't work then the client has died a horrible death...
Please remember, the client Ati/FAH "wants" you to run is http://www.stanford.edu/group/...ecial/DownloadATI.html

There are far more people having issues with the GPU on XP than Vista.

Is your card OCed? What variable settings did you try?
Not overclocked.

used
CAL_NO_FLUSH=1
BROOK_YIELD=2
FLUSH_INTERVAL=128

With flush_interval=16 it used roughly 100% GPU and 100% of one core, while 24 or 32 used roughly 50% GPU and negligible cpu-core... Now, maybe 128 wasn't the best choise, but still used it...

Also, FAH is configured as "low"-cpu-usage instead of "idle". It did use very little cpu, except, after paused BOINC for a couple minutes, then continued FAH-GPU apparently used a full cpu-core even it hadn't used it before...

Did also try CAL_PRE_FLUSH=1, but this gave worse GPU-performance, and wasn't used then BSOD.