What amusing mis-pronunciations have you heard?

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Our city has an annual craft fair near my office. Mentioned it to a customer because of the traffic. She says, "Oh, Mr. Robert. They got them fornicates. I just love me some fornicates. Don't you?"

Yes ma'am, I do.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I almost forgot the best one ever: boujwa

I've heard:
"Boo-shee"
"Boo-coo"

I often see it spelled "boogie" o_O

I can't be too judgmental about that one. It's an unnatural word for English-speakers.

Correct spelling is "bourgeois."

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Our city has an annual craft fair near my office. Mentioned it to a customer because of the traffic. She says, "Oh, Mr. Robert. They got them fornicates. I just love me some fornicates. Don't you?"

Yes ma'am, I do.

What was she trying to say?

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I've heard:
"Boo-shee"
"Boo-coo"

I often see it spelled "boogie" o_O

I can't be too judgmental about that one. It's an unnatural word for English-speakers.

Correct spelling is "bourgeois."

I pronounce it bourjwah, which probably isn't quite right but I know very little about French. Still, I actually saw that spelled as boujwah once. Not even close.

Boo-coo would be an anglicanization of beaucoup, I think, but we hijacked that word so long ago that it's practically ours anyway.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
My daughter calls socks - "cocks." Makes for some very funny sentences. E.g. she routinely says, "where my cocks go?" "I need cocks on my feet!" "Yay, penguin cocks!"

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My daughter calls socks - "cocks." Makes for some very funny sentences. E.g. she routinely says, "where my cocks go?" "I need cocks on my feet!" "Yay, penguin cocks!"
Won't be so funny when she's 14.:D I am so glad I have a boy.

Feb 6, 2007
One of my cousins had a pronounced Southern twang when she was younger (which made no sense at all, since she was raised on the Oregon coast by parents with no discernible accent). She had a lot of trouble with the word ice. It amused the family to no end every time she asked for a bowl of ass cream.