What alternative careers fit social workers / counselors?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Qacer, Jan 10, 2010.

  1. Qacer

    Qacer Platinum Member

    Apr 5, 2001
    Likes Received:
    I'm trying to help a friend out. He's bummed out because the job that he is doing is not what he wants to do anymore. He got his Master's degree in counseling (mental health), but now wants to move out of his field. I really don't have any idea on what other types of field he can try.

    The Bureau of Labor Statistics describes mental health counselors as:

    Mental health counselors work with individuals, families, and groups to address and treat mental and emotional disorders and to promote mental health. They are trained in a variety of therapeutic techniques used to address issues such as depression, anxiety, addiction and substance abuse, suicidal impulses, stress, trauma, low self-esteem, and grief. They also help with job and career concerns, educational decisions, mental and emotional health issues, and relationship problems. In addition, they may be involved in community outreach, advocacy, and mediation activities. Some specialize in delivering mental health services for the elderly. Mental health counselors often work closely with other mental health specialists, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, clinical social workers, psychiatric nurses, and school counselors.[/q]

    I was thinking maybe police officer, but frankly, I think he needs to do some more work out routines to become fit for the job.

    Any suggestions?