what alcohol % is freezer safe?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I know beer will freeze in a normal freezer. 80 proof alcohol won't.

Does anyone know the actual % of alcohol that a beverage has to contain to never freeze in a normal consumer freezer?

I naturally prefer cold alcohol, but I don't want to put something in the freezer and end up with a big mess when the liquid freezes and breaks the bottle it is in.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
knew somebody that stored Canadian Mist in their freezer, so it doesn't have to be that much

that's 80 proof

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
I'd think anything over 20% probably wouldn't freeze (about 40 proof) not sure though, just a guess.

Feb 6, 2007
It does depend on the freezer settings, but I think you're generally looking at 40 proof and up at minimum. Most stuff you'd want to store in a freezer (vodka, gin, peppermint schnapps, jaegermeister) are 80 proof or higher, so it's not generally an issue. What liqueur were you thinking of freezing (or is it just for curiosity's sake)?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Atomic PlayboyWhat liqueur were you thinking of freezing (or is it just for curiosity's sake)?

Rum, 70 proof. I'm pretty sure it would be safe in my freezer, but I was just curious, never know what I might want cold in the future.

I like my drinks cold, but I don't like unnecessary dilution with ice.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
80 proof will freeze at about -30ºF.

20 proof will freeze at about 20ºF.

Pure alcohol freezes at -173.2ºF.

My freezer is 4ºF.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Do some tests and find out. Mix 80 proof 50/50 with water so that it's 20% ABV and see what happens.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
You're fine with the rum. It is good to keep it in the freezer if you make cocktails, alcohol melts ice quickly so it helps to start off cold.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Its higher than 26%. I make wine and hard cider and allow the yeast die a natural death(alchohol poisoning)my batches end up anywhere between 18-26% and all of them will freeze in a chest freezer.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
Its higher than 26%. I make wine and hard cider and allow the yeast die a natural death(alchohol poisoning)my batches end up anywhere between 18-26% and all of them will freeze in a chest freezer.

Says the man who's illegally distilling apple-jack ;)

Gonna try oaking my cider this time to try and enhance body. mmmm... cider....

Suggest yeast strains and sugar amounts via... I'd like to kill them off and back sweeten a batch....

Rebasxer

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
It does depend on the freezer settings, but I think you're generally looking at 40 proof and up at minimum. Most stuff you'd want to store in a freezer (vodka, gin, peppermint schnapps, jaegermeister) are 80 proof or higher, so it's not generally an issue. What liqueur were you thinking of freezing (or is it just for curiosity's sake)?

I'm pretty sure Jager is 70proof. Although it doesn't freeze very easily.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: waffleironhead

Yeah, I think it's between 30-35%, I had some 26% Apfelkorn freeze.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
If your hard liquor freezes solid in your freezer, it's because someone been nipping on it and topping it off with water.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic
If your hard liquor freezes solid in your freezer, it's because someone been nipping on it and topping it off with water.
:D

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

if my parents only knew what percentage of their whiskey bottles are filled with iced tea from high school. :p

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481

if my parents only knew what percentage of their whiskey bottles are filled with iced tea from high school. :p
Iced tea?!

Were they complete drunks? LOL.. You would almost have to be not to notice that.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Rebasxer
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy

I'm pretty sure Jager is 70proof. Although it doesn't freeze very easily.

Jägermeister is 70 proof. I keep it in my freezer which is set at 0 degrees F and it does not freeze.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001

Tip of the day from a true boozer. :) :beer: :wine:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Eli
Originally posted by: loki8481

Iced tea?!

Were they complete drunks? LOL.. You would almost have to be not to notice that.

my parents never drink the stuff... my dad works part-time as a security guard at giants stadium and takes home whatever crap they confiscate.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Baloo
It' safe an any %. May not freeze, but not like it's gonna explode or something.

wrong. Unless the container is open it WILL break the glass and get everywhere.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: uclaLabrat

The proof determines the water content, does it not?

Almost, but not technically.. though they are closely related. Proof is alcohol % by volume (times two). Water will likely make up most of the remaining volume, but there are other things like sugar (in liquors) or grains (in beers) that will affect freezing point. A beer with alot of salt, though it has lots of water too, will not freeze as readily as a low-proof malt beverage like a wine cooler which doesn't have salt.

edit: So I guess I talked myself out of water being the main factor. All things being equal, proof is probably the easiest way to determine freezing point. :)