What airports have great views when taking off/landing?

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
I was looking at some pictures that I took a few years ago when I was landing at LAX from Hong Kong. It was at night and it was a gorgeous view of the city and surrounding suburbs, especially since I remember that plane having to circle for a while to get in for landing.

Washington DC Reagan National has an amazing takeoff, too. Quite a view of the city if you're on the right side:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=22310926&size=l

I also like JFK's landing around mid-to-late afternoon. Fantastic views of Lower Manhattan and of Jamaica Bay & Long Island.

What airports have you guys flown out of that have amazing views?

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
SeaTac (Seattle) has some great mountain and volcano views when flying east to west, but the weather has to be good otherwise it's just clouds.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
If you come into LHR from the east you fly right down the Thames right over the Millenium dome, Houses or Parliment etc.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
If you come into LHR from the east you fly right down the Thames right over the Millenium dome, Houses or Parliment etc.

I've flown into that airport at least 6 times and each time, it was from the west. :(

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Hawaii is great for obvious reasons. And I think SanFran has you landing over the water too.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Savij
Boston Logan Night view of the city is pretty good.

Landing? I have an LAX-BOS flight on Wednesday night. I'll be reaching very early Thursday morning. Hopefully I'll be able to see this view you're talking about.

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Amol
I was looking at some pictures that I took a few years ago when I was landing at LAX from Hong Kong. It was at night and it was a gorgeous view of the city and surrounding suburbs, especially since I remember that plane having to circle for a while to get in for landing.

Washington DC Reagan National has an amazing takeoff, too. Quite a view of the city if you're on the right side:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=22310926&size=l

I also like JFK's landing around mid-to-late afternoon. Fantastic views of Lower Manhattan and of Jamaica Bay & Long Island.

What airports have you guys flown out of that have amazing views?

agreed... i fly out of regan way too much now... so its lack luster...

the last one i have been wowed by is vegas mccarran international airport... the strip at night... very cool...

edit also portland internation airport... nice view of the mountains when you fly in...

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
SLC in winter or summer during the day, spectactular mountains and of course the lake, but the lake isnt that pretty

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Vegas at night. It's awesome to see the city of Vegas, hanging out in the middle of a desert.

Manuwell

Jan 19, 2006
Newark Liberty is nice. Depending the way you take off/land, you can see the NJ turnpike on your left/right (not to mention the Ikea store).

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Manuwell
Newark Liberty is nice. Depending the way you take off/land, you can see the NJ turnpike on your left/right (not to mention the Ikea store).

:D

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Manuwell

:D

New Jersey is beautiful in its own way :p

I bet it's a good sight when you're leaving, though not so great when you're coming back. :D

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Landing at night in most any large city is always fun. I particularly like landing at DFW international at night, the relatively flat terrain and population density provide for a sea of lights as far as you can see in all directions, and best of all for me it means I'm home:)

astrosfan90

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2005
Denver is underrated. You're far enough from the mountains that you can see the progression from the plains where the airport is located to the hogsback to the foothills all the way to the Rockies, and you fly in parallel to the range, which is pretty cool.

Aeroparque Jorge Newberry in Buenos Aires is really cool if you're flying in while there's a soccer game going on, becuase you fly right over an 80,000ish capacity open stadium that's jam-packed with a soccer game going on in it. You also have a great view of the Rio de la Plata and most of Buenos Aires.

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
Landing at night in most any large city is always fun. I particularly like landing at DFW international at night, the relatively flat terrain and population density provide for a sea of lights as far as you can see in all directions, and best of all for me it means I'm home:)

I can't handle DFW, only because everytime I fly American, they always put me through that damn airport and make me change terminals. :frown: Even when I'm flying to a major city from Los Angeles.

T3C

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2003
Chicago Midway at night feels like you are divebombing the city. Crazy how low you are over all the houses.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
JFK
SFO

San Diego is pretty good too. You fly right near downtown and have a nice view of the Coronado Bridge (assuming you are sitting on the left side of the aircraft).