what age do you explain your political views to your kids?

at what age do you explain your political views to your kids?

• 1-2

• 3-5

• 6-8

• 9-12

• 13-18

• before they can talk (comedy option)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Teach them to think on their own and come to their own conclusion, that way they don't act like some of the drones on this forum who I won't mention the names of.

Nov 8, 2012
I honestly have no plans to directly tell my kids what my political agenda is. My parents never did for me. I never thought to ask them such questions until I was older in my college years.

As much as I would hope to steer them in the correct directions in life, I would overall let them form their own opinions of the world they see.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Didn't want to complicate things much, but it seems to me the age at which politics gets thrown into the mix with all of those other things that kids have to deal with growing up depends on what the intent of the parent is.

For example, there are those parents that feel it's imperative that their kids follow in their path as far as what political ideology their kids should adhere to. As well, there are those parents who feel their kids should decide all on their own.

It seems to me though that the practical thing to do is to expose children to politics that is up to their level of comprehension, WITHOUT personal prejudices that could influence their views. Having children get curious about politics and then have them discover for themselves (with a little objective help from mom and dad) what the whole process is about historically and contemporarily seems to me to be a fair and impartial way to go.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
An option or two missing, like: when they are able to comprehend the real world around them regardless of age. It is not my job to steer my kids to or away from a political party. My job as a parent is to raise them as healthy productive members of society, who care for their fellow man, and understand the difference between right and wrong.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What, they don't get to sit by the TV and listen to you BP&M about Clinton?
For a party ticket punching family, I was introduced to their ideology around 8-10, and exposed to it through family friends and political activity itself. There was no conversation or watershed moment.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
When they ask or start a conversation about it. That's when I'll let them know that conservatives are the devil and should be put in internment camps. (comedy option)

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I honestly have no plans to directly tell my kids what my political agenda is. My parents never did for me. I never thought to ask them such questions until I was older in my college years.

As much as I would hope to steer them in the correct directions in life, I would overall let them form their own opinions of the world they see.

Same with me. This isn't like sex ed.

My parents' political views became apparent through their actions and conversations. Although I still ascribe most of my conservatism to my father, who used to run an adoption agency. That led me into the pro-life camp.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Teach them to think on their own and come to their own conclusion, that way they don't act like some of the drones on this forum who I won't mention the names of.

This is what my parents did. This is what I will do.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012

No they won't. The second they decide they want to be a Young Earth Creationist, for example, that'll fly right out of the window....

Me, I'm going to teach my children what I value and why, and since I see how my life is enhanced by my "political views", I'm going to encourage them to follow that same path.

In my opinion, what political views one holds are far too important to leave it to chance.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
See, this is the problem. You should let your kids make up their own mind! This is why we have religious nuts in 2015. The idiots keep passing their idiot ideology down to their kids.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
My daughter is in her mid 20's and I never raised any political topic with her. She is aware of my views, however, as she lived in the same house with me most of her life. Ditto her mother's views. However, until she reached her late teens whatever she heard went in one ear and out the other. She just wasn't interested in politics until she reached adulthood.

Status
Not open for further replies.