What affect does voltage have other than heat?

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I have a Duron 600@900MHz running with 1.85v, but it only runs at around 93-95F. Since this chip runs so cool, what effect will the voltage increase have with this chip.

I've been overclocking for years with over 7 different setups, but I've never had a chip run this cool at such a high voltage.

btw: My machine will post at 900MHz with less voltage, but only 1.85v is stable.

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
It shortens the life span of the chip. By how much I don't know. The prices of chips are falling so fast that its not a big concern as it was a couple of years ago. Gotta love AMD for the price wars. I have a 700@980 using 1.85 V. It runs at 104-109F under full load. If the chip lasts me another 6 months I'll be happy.

paulip88

Aug 15, 2000
By the time the chip dies from heat or whatever, it'll either cost $15 on pricewatch, or you can just get a 1G chip for $100.

Besides, even if it dies now, its only a $40 replacement. Gotta love the cheap Duron 6's.

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Jugernot,

Temps that appear too low can be a problem. What mobo and hsf setup do you have.??

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Abit KT7 Raid and for cooling I'm running a modified Globalwin FDP32. Though I did get similar temps with stock cooling, maybe a couple degrees higher.

btw: I don't think my thermistor is misreporting the remp because I can put my fingers on the heatsink and it is just barely warm. ohhhh yah, I am using Circuitworks Silver heatsink compound.

My case temp hovers right around 70-72F.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I don't recall the technical term right off, but exceeding the recommended voltage will begin to break down the electrical connections in the CPU until it begins to become unstable because it can no longer make good data transfers.

As others have said, by the time this happens, you will probably be ready to upgrade to a new processor anyway, so as long as you don't go higher than 1.85 (AMD's recommended max) then you should be fine, especially with temperatures like yours.