What actually happens if you run a video card underpowered? (300W instead of 400W)

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by riddlen, May 12, 2008.

1. riddlen

riddlen Junior Member

I mean, clearly they have requirements for a reason, but dont most people not even look at that? I have a 7800GT that I am moving from a 400W PSU to a 300W PSU PC. My first thought was #$% I need a new power supply (not too mention it only has SATA, no molex). What actually happens though? Does it work worse?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - video card underpowered Forum Date
    What is the next video card after the GTX 1080ti? Video Cards and Graphics Wednesday at 4:24 PM
    Which video card by end of the month? Video Cards and Graphics Oct 8, 2017
    8440GS video card - did Linus get snookered? Video Cards and Graphics Sep 15, 2017
    Onboard video card Video Cards and Graphics Sep 11, 2017
    Any recommendation for a good Video/Graphics card for Photo Editing? Video Cards and Graphics Aug 17, 2017

3. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

Usually it will cause your computer to crash. A cheap power supply may be destroyed and short out your PC.

4. riddlen

riddlen Junior Member

specifically, I am moving it into a Dell Inspiron 530. From what I have read, the power supply could go, but I am thinking of replacing it anyway so why not run it till it dies? I am really wondering if it degrades the video card performance much or if there is a data loss/mobo risk.

5. krnmastersgt

krnmastersgt Platinum Member

Different things happen under different circumstances, I've seen anywhere from just no posts to artifacts/graphical bugs and some people who forget to plug in their 6 pin connectors get something like a high pitched screaming noise from the card.

6. error8

error8 Diamond Member

Sometimes, in rare situations, when the PSU blows, it takes some pc parts with it: maybe a hard drive, or motherboard or just about everything. So, it's better to avoid the risk of being in one of those rare situations and just buy a good PSU.

7. taltamir

taltamir Lifer

DEATH BY FIRE!

Seriously though, don't do it...

8. Lithan

Lithan Platinum Member

Most commonly it will reboot or shut off during gaming.