What actually happens if you run a video card underpowered? (300W instead of 400W)

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by riddlen, May 12, 2008.

1. riddlen

riddlen Junior Member

I mean, clearly they have requirements for a reason, but dont most people not even look at that? I have a 7800GT that I am moving from a 400W PSU to a 300W PSU PC. My first thought was #$% I need a new power supply (not too mention it only has SATA, no molex). What actually happens though? Does it work worse?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - video card underpowered Forum Date
    What brand and model of low profile video card support DVI-I and Windows 10? Video Cards and Graphics Monday at 9:00 PM
    Good easy to use software for managing new video cards? Video Cards and Graphics Feb 19, 2017
    EVGA GTX 10xx videos cards (1060, 1070, and 1080) Video Cards and Graphics Feb 17, 2017
    Where can a person buy new MXM video cards? Video Cards and Graphics Feb 16, 2017
    Looking for cheap dual HDMI/DP video card Video Cards and Graphics Feb 9, 2017

3. BladeVenom

BladeVenom Lifer

Usually it will cause your computer to crash. A cheap power supply may be destroyed and short out your PC.

4. riddlen

riddlen Junior Member

specifically, I am moving it into a Dell Inspiron 530. From what I have read, the power supply could go, but I am thinking of replacing it anyway so why not run it till it dies? I am really wondering if it degrades the video card performance much or if there is a data loss/mobo risk.

5. krnmastersgt

krnmastersgt Platinum Member

Different things happen under different circumstances, I've seen anywhere from just no posts to artifacts/graphical bugs and some people who forget to plug in their 6 pin connectors get something like a high pitched screaming noise from the card.

6. error8

error8 Diamond Member

Sometimes, in rare situations, when the PSU blows, it takes some pc parts with it: maybe a hard drive, or motherboard or just about everything. So, it's better to avoid the risk of being in one of those rare situations and just buy a good PSU.

7. taltamir

taltamir Lifer

DEATH BY FIRE!

Seriously though, don't do it...

8. Lithan

Lithan Platinum Member

Most commonly it will reboot or shut off during gaming.