what absurd recommendations does your Amazon homepage have ?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
tactical vests.

the kind you wear when you go to war. for guns, n stuff.

i have searched for "griptape" once two years ago - that's the only connection i can think of.
im in the UK so guns are a no-no.

which absolutely irrelevant items do YOU have on your amazon homepage?
Defibrillators?
Balaklavas?
St Valentine's Gifts? (lol, like anyone here has a girlfriend)
(OK WELL I DONT)
Jackhammers?

Reactions: WelshBloke

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
This is probably because I order a lot of stuff off Amazon, but most of the recommendations are strongly based on stuff I've ordered, nor does it make any cardinal mistakes like recommending HP or Apple kit to me :) I wonder whether this also might be because I don't generally browse Amazon while being signed in and my browser configuration dumps site data/cookies for everything when I close it. I generally only sign in to Amazon when I'm about to buy something or I need to look up something in my past orders.

ebay on the other hand once had a never-ending home page setup (maybe they still do, no idea), and shortly after I ordered a job lot of USB brackets, I loaded ebay and had nothing but USB brackets as recommendations, so USB brackets all the way down :)

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
are you sure it's USB brackets all the way down and not turtles?
or 1 USB 1 turtle, alternating?

Reactions: mikeymikec

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You mean you don't get 55GA of personal lubricant amongst your recommendations?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Everything looks normal. The weirdest thing is a bunch of shitty chainsaws "inspired by my wishlist". I didn't know I had a wishlist.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Lots of makeup/hair stuff since my GF and I order off my account. Random garbage 'inspired' by my past orders, like shower curtain hooks, PH testing kits, oven mitts, UV lights.

For like the longest time I got advertised small engine spark plugs, because I bought one. One time. After that Amazon was like 'OH YOU LIKE SPARK PLUGS? HOW ABOUT MORE SPARK PLUGS! HEY CARL THIS GUY LIKES SPARK PLUGS, HE NEEDS MORE, SOMEONE GET HIM MORE'.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Everything is pretty relevant to what I've searched for or bought in the past. Somebody probably hacked your Amazon account.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
thanks to this thread i cancelled a subscribe and save order for dog bags. 1000 dog bags is about a 1 year supply but the longest s&s period is 6 months.

so i had that, a bunch of stuff for sound bars because i looked at one of those the other day thanks to a thread here, some stuff for hobby hands and soldering stations because i'll need some for repairing an old flashgun, shoes and jeans, that chris pratt thing, the overpriced unitasker housewares thing (hey, a tortilla toaster!), the new & interesting thing where the item shown doesn't seem to be sold anywhere, the "buy something for yourself" bar of stuff i've had saved for later for the last 5 years.

amazon is an unorganized mess

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
The wife and I are on the account so she's always looking for stuff for our kid or our dogs. I looked and found what appeared to be baby strollers thinking there must be something I don't know about yet, then realized it's for dogs. Thank goodness! I forgot my daughter was asking about them, so apparently my 10 yr old has been shopping on Amazon also. I've been doing a ton of research on upgrading my truck's sound system, I've been avoiding amazon so as to keep the wife unaware of how much I may be spending lol. But apparently amazon knows, because there's a shit-ton of speaker/head-unit/amp recommendations.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
One of my cats is dealing with a mild, ongoing respiratory infection, and I bought a diffuser/humidifier and some lavender oil. It supposedly should help ease his congestion. Half the time I log in I get suggested a whole bunch of essential oil and other dubious health products. I might as well embrace my life as a hippie now.

• Haha
Reactions: DigDog and lxskllr

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
One of my cats is dealing with a mild, ongoing respiratory infection, and I bought a diffuser/humidifier and some lavender oil. It supposedly should help ease his congestion. Half the time I log in I get suggested a whole bunch of essential oil and other dubious health products. I might as well embrace my life as a hippie now.
We've given our cats lysine for respiratory infections with good results. However NIH says that lysine is ineffective so maybe the cats just got better regardless of the lysine. :confused_old:

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
We've given our cats lysine for respiratory infections with good results. However NIH says that lysine is ineffective so maybe the cats just got better regardless of the lysine. :confused_old:

I sprinkle a lysine powder on their wet food that I give them in the morning as well. He's doing a lot better - he was sneezing blood and on doxycycline when I got him. It is just taking him awhile to completely kick it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
amazon is an unorganized mess
you know, Amazon has google-like search terms, so you can "search" and +search etc..
and yet, even then it will throw out results that have nothing to do with your search terms. This is absolutely done on purpose, to get you to buy weird shit. Say you are looking at shoes, and WOW a new sonic toothbrush!, or a toy you had as a kid, and bam, Bezos is singing i'm in the money.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I don't think the Amazon algorithm knows what to think of me.

I end up searching for a lot of products on there from people who post links or products here, but I also shop for things from car parts, my wide-ranging musical tastes, plumbing tools, Star Wars toys, air-soft guns and gear for my kids, things for my wife, things for my dogs, etc.

The oddest thing I've seen for a bit from them is when I go to the music CD page, and they keep recommending some kind of hair gel:

7.jpg

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
you know, Amazon has google-like search terms, so you can "search" and +search etc..
and yet, even then it will throw out results that have nothing to do with your search terms. This is absolutely done on purpose, to get you to buy weird shit. Say you are looking at shoes, and WOW a new sonic toothbrush!, or a toy you had as a kid, and bam, Bezos is singing i'm in the money.
if i'm looking for men's wool pants why do i get children's polyester pants?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
scattergun approach.

i get womens hoodies when looking for motorcycle gloves.

It wants you to look at things you were *not* looking for. Kind of like publicity on TV, except the product you see is for sale right away.

PSA: DO NOT turn on 1-click-buy.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't think the Amazon algorithm knows what to think of me.

I end up searching for a lot of products on there from people who post links or products here, but I also shop for things from car parts, my wide-ranging musical tastes, plumbing tools, Star Wars toys, air-soft guns and gear for my kids, things for my wife, things for my dogs, etc.

The oddest thing I've seen for a bit from them is when I go to the music CD page, and they keep recommending some kind of hair gel:

View attachment 16704
I took a look out of curiosity, and that's just the "Top Rated" section. I have the same first four items as you there, those three specific albums and then the hair gel. For some reason I have Post Malone as my fifth entry though.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I took a look out of curiosity, and that's just the "Top Rated" section. I have the same first four items as you there, those three specific albums and then the hair gel. For some reason I have Post Malone as my fifth entry though.
Weird.

I guess Amazon really wants to move some hair gel then. :p