What’s the purpose of the federal government?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
This used to be a simple question with a simple answer but now it seems like either the answer has changed or people don’t understand the purpose of the federal government.

So, what’s everyone’s opinion on what the purpose of the federal government is (please do not confuse the federal government with state and local governments)?

I’ll give my option once the discussion has started.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
To coordinate common efforts between the states, to resolve disputes between the states, to protect the states from foreign and domestic threats, and guide the states towards the future with greater capability than any single state could manage. Might have missed a few relevant bits.

That purpose is fulfilled by the myriad agencies that exist within it. I suspect there's a lot that goes on in the federal govt that doesn't fall into one of the above categories (or any other reasonable categories I didn't cover) which ideally would be made public and dealt with. I also suspect there's a lot not going on in the federal govt that should be, and same deal there.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
If only there was some sort of decision about this in the past, and if only that decision was written down. If that were done, it might have gone something like this:
in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity
And then, if that had been done, maybe they would go into specific details in different sections. The details could possibly be written something like this:
To establish Post Offices and post Roads;
among others.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
To coordinate common efforts between the states, to resolve disputes between the states, to protect the states from foreign and domestic threats, and guide the states towards the future with greater capability than any single state could manage. Might have missed a few relevant bits.

That purpose is fulfilled by the myriad agencies that exist within it. I suspect there's a lot that goes on in the federal govt that doesn't fall into one of the above categories (or any other reasonable categories I didn't cover) which ideally would be made public and dealt with. I also suspect there's a lot not going on in the federal govt that should be, and same deal there.
Another part is to protect the citizens' rights from the state.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If only there was some sort of decision about this in the past, and if only that decision was written down. If that were done, it might have gone something like this:

And then, if that had been done, maybe they would go into specific details in different sections. The details could possibly be written something like this:

among others.

Thank you. A lot of people seem to have forgotten the preamble to the constitution.

The founding fathers set up our government so that different parts of the government can put a check on other parts and so no one piece had full control of the country and people. This means that the states were closest stoke the people and were the “laboratories” of government policies and the federal government is the check on the states. The federal government, of course, was split into three main pieces that were to be a check on each other.

So when a state infringes on a persons rights or is a threat to the US, be it our democracy, people, or other states, it’s the federal government’s duty to put them in check. If anyone doubts that then they should revisit our history and remember that we actually tried a system of government that put a majority of the power in the hands of the states, do the articles of confederation ring a bell? Yeah, that system of government failed quickly.

However, the overarching duty of the federal government and state government for that matter, is to provide for the general welfare of its citizens and that’s a very broad umbrella of responsibility. So it’s odd to hear politicians talk about policies or ideas that directly contradict the preamble and the constitution and it’s even sadder when people support politicians who directly violate those goals.

It would be wise for us to remember our history.