WH Counsel Don McGahn might depart on the heels of Ty Cobb

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 25, 2011
Greeting the Democrats, if they take the house, with a WH bare of lawyers seems like an unwise strategy really.
I'm more concerned where the priorities will lie of the lawyers that do come in. The White House council is supposed to serve as a sort of check against the office and ensure the legality of what they do. If he puts Emmet Flood in there I don't have the same confidence that will happen.

McGahn at least understood where his loyalty was supposed to lie and it wasn't with Trump.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm more concerned where the priorities will lie of the lawyers that do come in. The White House council is supposed to serve as a sort of check against the office and ensure the legality of what they do. If he puts Emmet Flood in there I don't have the same confidence that will happen.

McGahn at least understood where his loyalty was supposed to lie and it wasn't with Trump.

McGahn's loyalty really is, in the end, to conservatism at large rather than Trump. There is a reason Grassley was so dismayed to hear he's going since it could staunch off the flow of judicial appointments and other regulatory rollbacks. Flood doesn't have that experience/interest and is mainly a hedge against impeachment.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
McGahn's loyalty really is, in the end, to conservatism at large rather than Trump. There is a reason Grassley was so dismayed to hear he's going since it could staunch off the flow of judicial appointments and other regulatory rollbacks. Flood doesn't have that experience/interest and is mainly a hedge against impeachment.

Flood is another of the few remarkable attorneys in this mess and I agree that he's there to function as an attorney, not a fanatic for Trump.

As far as Conservatives go I don't know if there are any. Goldwater (who was pretty nutty but not always wrong) would be standing up to the reprehensible attack on the Constitution in the person of Trump. Many Trump supporters, many Republicans, but Conservatives died and their husks are taken over by bodysnatchers.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Flood is another of the few remarkable attorneys in this mess and I agree that he's there to function as an attorney, not a fanatic for Trump.

As far as Conservatives go I don't know if there are any. Goldwater (who was pretty nutty but not always wrong) would be standing up to the reprehensible attack on the Constitution in the person of Trump. Many Trump supporters, many Republicans, but Conservatives died and their husks are taken over by bodysnatchers.

Modern conservatism agreeably and publicly moved beyond all claimed principles when faced with the opportunity for naked political expediency. Conservatism or whatever you want to call it now is for sale as long as the price is right.