Western Media's Manipulation of Tibet Riots Exposed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken

Yeah, it's not true that Reuters, AP, and CNN have all put forth complete BS that, somehow, always tends to be anti-war, anti-Bush, or anti-US in nature. Rathergate wasn't liberal in nature. The fake soldiers and real soldiers making up stories about Iraq weren't liberal either.

Why, to prove it you can even provide a couple links, out of the hundreds of studies you claim to exist that show otherwise, that one has to pay for to even see. Yeah buddy. You've been over it and showed everyone.

:roll:

Edit: btw, I'm still waiting for your answers to my questions in this thread.

You don't have to pay to see them at all. Any public library will have access to those journals. Go ahead and dismiss the real research that's out there, you obviously know better because you have isolated experience. Your view on Iraq and the Bush administration in general very much relies on this concept of persecution and looming liberal bias. I offered you some abstracts and conclusions, and I even offered to PM you some other materials so you could educate yourself. Amazingly enough, I never heard back. Why? Because you don't care what's real. Even if you did read those studies you'd probably just assume they were a bunch of liberals too.

I'll give you a hint though: reality doesn't care what you think. Also, how many studies do I have to link before somehow that fulfills your requirements? How much of my own time do I have to spend feeding your ignorance? You should want to go learn these things for yourself, you shouldn't need me to go find things to teach you with.

I already laughed at you in that other thread enough and told you that I wasn't debating definitions with you. You were flailing and attempting to change the argument to one you could win. I've had more then my fill of those stupid arguments with you, and so I felt that reminding you that you were a 40+ year old man that was behaving that way was enough.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Yeah, it's not true that Reuters, AP, and CNN have all put forth complete BS that, somehow, always tends to be anti-war, anti-Bush, or anti-US in nature. Rathergate wasn't liberal in nature. The fake soldiers and real soldiers making up stories about Iraq weren't liberal either.

Why, to prove it you can even provide a couple links, out of the hundreds of studies you claim to exist that show otherwise, that one has to pay for to even see. Yeah buddy. You've been over it and showed everyone.

You don't have to pay to see them at all. Any public library will have access to those journals. Go ahead and dismiss the real research that's out there, you obviously know better because you have isolated experience. Your view on Iraq and the Bush administration in general very much relies on this concept of persecution and looming liberal bias. I offered you some abstracts and conclusions, and I even offered to PM you some other materials so you could educate yourself. Amazingly enough, I never heard back. Why? Because you don't care what's real. Even if you did read those studies you'd probably just assume they were a bunch of liberals too.

I'll give you a hint though: reality doesn't care what you think. Also, how many studies do I have to link before somehow that fulfills your requirements? How much of my own time do I have to spend feeding your ignorance? You should want to go learn these things for yourself, you shouldn't need me to go find things to teach you with.

I already laughed at you in that other thread enough and told you that I wasn't debating definitions with you. You were flailing and attempting to change the argument to one you could win. I've had more then my fill of those stupid arguments with you, and so I felt that reminding you that you were a 40+ year old man that was behaving that way was enough.
Yep, more flailing from you. Apparently baloney-based bravado is about all I can expect from you because that's about all you put out.

You accused me of making specific statements yet you can't back it up whatsoever. So just stop right now while you're only a little bit behind and have a microscopic shred of respectiblility left. Don't completely trash it and end up looking foolish like you usually do. Just answer the questions.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
The Chinese government still has to answer for Tienanmen Square. Until that happens I don't care what their proxy website says about CNN.

Go ahead and blame that one on western media bias.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: sunzt
Using video that show Nepalese and Indian police and claiming them to be Chinese, completely mistranslating an interview of Tibetan, and making false statements on major western media outlets exposed.

http://anti-cnn.com/ (has English and Chinese) The video they have sums it up. Made by a Chinese student currently studying in Canada.

The media in question include Germany's N-TV, Bild Zeitung, RTV, and the Washington Post. They all have used pictures of baton-wielding Nepalese police in clashes with Tibetan protesters in Kathmandu, and claimed that the officers were Chinese police. More notably, the BBC's and Germany's Berliner Mogenpost's websites both mistakenly labeled a photo of a "rescue" as an "arrest." CNN.com used a cropped photo of Chinese military trucks, cutting off the half of the picture showing a crowd of rioters throwing rocks at the trucks. Germany's weekly journal The Mirror was also singled out for using the distorted caption to tarnish the truth behind the photo.

Heh, instead of attacking the western media, those Chinese student should be asking their government why no journalist was allowed in Tibet to report the riot. Why there is no freedom of speech, and why is there so much censorship. Of course there is gonna be bias against some government who won't allow democracy and freedom, and bully minority group with brutal, heavy handed tactic. If I were citizen of China, I would be ashamed of having such government, and not be so defensive about media around the world reporting unfavorable stuff about the government.

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
sunzt:

"Using video that show Nepalese and Indian police and claiming them to be Chinese, completely mistranslating an interview of Tibetan, and making false statements on major western media outlets exposed.

http://anti-cnn.com/ (has English and Chinese) The video they have sums it up. Made by a Chinese student currently studying in Canada."

If we use just a little logic, if the Nepalese and Indian police were handling Tibetan protestors in this manner, one can only imagine the fate of the Tibetans at the hands of the Chinese.

If the Chinese have been hurt so badly by this mis-reporting, they can surely open up Tibet to be toured freely by journalists so that the Tibetans can themselves tell the world how wonderfully they are being treated by the Chinese?

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Please let this thread die.

As a patriotic American, I cannot afford slightly more expensive Happy Meals. Those toys come at a price--a hefty price of our national security.

If I am not relieved by the affordable "happy" of my happy meal, I will most likely end up drowing an innocent man. This is just the plain 'ol truth coming from a regular-Joe American.

Never forget.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Originally posted by: tvarad
sunzt:

"Using video that show Nepalese and Indian police and claiming them to be Chinese, completely mistranslating an interview of Tibetan, and making false statements on major western media outlets exposed.

http://anti-cnn.com/ (has English and Chinese) The video they have sums it up. Made by a Chinese student currently studying in Canada."

If we use just a little logic, if the Nepalese and Indian police were handling Tibetan protestors in this manner, one can only imagine the fate of the Tibetans at the hands of the Chinese.

If the Chinese have been hurt so badly by this mis-reporting, they can surely open up Tibet to be toured freely by journalists so that the Tibetans can themselves tell the world how wonderfully they are being treated by the Chinese?

Ok so you're Assuming that the Chinese are doing something like torturing and killing all those Tibetans? If you use a little logic you can see that your logic is based off of horrible assumptions. This is not Tienanmen. The government knows it is being watched under a microscope and will avoid any needless conflict that can hurt the image.

Did you know that the government actually let the separatists protest and riot weeks before they came in? They knew what kind of sh*t the separatists wanted to start and actually let them vent their anger for a while. However, once those protesters became violent, turned into rioters, and started killing civilians the government had no choice but to come in.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/...s.interview/index.html

Essentially, the government sacrificed the lives and livelihoods of Han civilians in order to avoid going in with military and appease the international community. Many Chinese got upset at the government for not going in sooner. The government is damned if they do anything, and damned if they don't do anything. Tibetans also get benefits that Han and other ethnicities in China don't such as being able to have two children. Lets not also forget that we're only talking about a very small percentage of people involved in these protests. Most Tibetans just want to live peacefully like they were before all the violence broke out.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Yep, more flailing from you. Apparently baloney-based bravado is about all I can expect from you because that's about all you put out.

You accused me of making specific statements yet you can't back it up whatsoever. So just stop right now while you're only a little bit behind and have a microscopic shred of respectiblility left. Don't completely trash it and end up looking foolish like you usually do. Just answer the questions.

You are truly a being who exists completely separate from any sense of irony.

Poor poor TLC. I just want to pat you on the head right now.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Thump553
China won't even let Western media anywhere near Tibet (at least not without chaperones and only to see carefully staged events) and then has the unmitigated gall to complain that the Western media doesn't get the story right? Give me a break.

It's interesting to see state controlled media complaining about corporate dominated media. Personally I think corporate media is the lesser of two evils.

Why report if you can't confirm the story? Is that not counter-productive to print partial stories?

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

If I don't watch it, how the hell can I support it? I don't care about Fox one way or the other. I pay it no mind. Nor did I state that the media is "completely" biased left. WTF is wrong with those certain people in here that feel they must misrepresent what their ideological opposition is saying?

The majority of the MSM leans left, yet the lefties don't want to acknowledge that fact. Yet if a single one leans to the right, like Fox, you guys get your collective panties in a twist in here. You know what that attitude demonstrates? It demonstrates the overwhelming left tilt to P&N.

Thanks for yet another demonstration.

Nor did I need to state anything about Fox because you chimed in anyway. I had no doubt someone would raise that flag. So thanks for being predictable too.

All I asked was some proof of the MSM leaning left. You've provided nothing other than an example of your ability to put up a useless rant.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

http://www.abc.net.au/news/ind...tureitems/s1695769.htm

Chinese body parts are in hot demand, with Western patients sick of long waiting queues and in need of a transplant.

Customers, including dozens of Australians, are prepared to pay up to $US170,000 ($255,700) for a major organ such as a lung or heart.

And that makes it OK? I wonder if more than just fulongong get murdered for bodypart money.. think Tibetans are being murdered in Chinese Prisons by Chinese Govt Employees for bodypart money?

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Originally posted by: dahunan

Chinese body parts are in hot demand, with Western patients sick of long waiting queues and in need of a transplant.

Customers, including dozens of Australians, are prepared to pay up to $US170,000 ($255,700) for a major organ such as a lung or heart.

And that makes it OK? I wonder if more than just fulongong get murdered for bodypart money.. think Tibetans are being murdered in Chinese Prisons by Chinese Govt Employees for bodypart money?

Nope, but there's two sides to blame here. Neither is innocent.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
The Chinese are committing cultural genocide of Tibet and the Dalai Lama is the absolutely worst leader for the Tibetans at the moment.

Someone needs to save the Tibetans from the Dalai Lama first.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Harvey

Your source is a Chinese government mouthpiece. :thumbsdown:

anti-cnn.com

Jim Rao
Tsinghua University
Beijing, CN 100084
+86.1085148520
lastromance@163.com

Creation Date: 2008-03-18
Registration Date: 2008-03-18
Expiry Date: 2009-03-18

Thanks, but I choose to believe the word of the Dali Lama, a man with a long, verifiable and far greater reputation for credibility and integrity over some flakey, amateur three day old site conveniently started by the Chinese government.
Ding ding ding, QFT.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
A comment from that link by a Chinese person.

14. At 10:05 AM on 28 Mar 2008, regina wrote:

i can't understand why some Tibetians were angry

The first bolded statement is awfully pretentious. I don't know....maybe because you took their country away? Amazing how people don't like that.

It was wrong to do so

Pot meet kettle

i perfer there is no Games [sic] how can it become a tool

That just shows the naivety of the 'student'. The games have been used as a 'tool' long before - don't act like its something new just for China.

Whether the site is a plant or not (and I am inclined to believe it is) it reeks of blind nationalism and ignorance.

Are 'we' (westerners) being harsh on China? I don't know, maybe we're tired of toothpaste having poison in it, toys being made with lead, electronics coming laden with spyware and their government paying hackers after they attack other governments' websites....

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

That's your defense of Chinese organ trade? What an apologist! I don't think this helps your case.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: glutenberg

If I don't watch it, how the hell can I support it? I don't care about Fox one way or the other. I pay it no mind. Nor did I state that the media is "completely" biased left. WTF is wrong with those certain people in here that feel they must misrepresent what their ideological opposition is saying?

The majority of the MSM leans left, yet the lefties don't want to acknowledge that fact. Yet if a single one leans to the right, like Fox, you guys get your collective panties in a twist in here. You know what that attitude demonstrates? It demonstrates the overwhelming left tilt to P&N.

Nor did I need to state anything about Fox because you chimed in anyway. I had no doubt someone would raise that flag. So thanks for being predictable too.

All I asked was some proof of the MSM leaning left. You've provided nothing other than an example of your ability to put up a useless rant.
Proof? How about pulling your head out?

Rathergate

leaked classified intel

faked photos

staged photos

fake soldiers

real soldiers making up fake stories

Your failure to acknowledge the proof that's out there doesn't mean the proof doesn't exist. It merely means you refuse to acknowledge it's there because doing so would severely erode your position.

Notice in this thread that nearly every naysayer refuses to discuss the actual photos and videos. Instead we get accusations of "the Chinese government is behind this website," as if truth is immediately invalidated if a government is behind something. Erm, even IF the Chinese government were behind this website it still doesn't explain why those photos and images were manipulated by the western media outlets, which thy clearly were, and why.

Anyone care to address that issue? Anybody at all?

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Braznor
The Chinese are committing cultural genocide of Tibet and the Dalai Lama is the absolutely worst leader for the Tibetans at the moment.

Someone needs to save the Tibetans from the Dalai Lama first.
yeah they need Bin Laden, converting them to be suicide bombers.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Rathergate

leaked classified intel

faked photos

staged photos

fake soldiers

Your failure to acknowledge the proof that's out there doesn't mean the proof doesn't exist. It merely means you refuse to acknowledge it's there because doing so would severely erode your position.

Just so you know, the 'proof' you just offered in no way proves the statement you made before. There's no point in arguing this with you though, you can't fight religion with science. The media being liberal is part of your religion of persecution.

Sep 12, 2004

Rathergate

leaked classified intel

faked photos

staged photos

fake soldiers

Just so you know, the 'proof' you just offered in no way proves the statement you made before. There's no point in arguing this with you though, you can't fight religion with science. The media being liberal is part of your religion of persecution.
Keep telling yourself that.

Close your eyes and click your heels together three times while you're repeating it over and over too.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: dahunan

Nope, but there's two sides to blame here. Neither is innocent.

Hmm, one side wants organs for medial treatment. The other side murders prisoners and then harvests the organs to be sold on the organ market. Why yes, sick people are to blame for wanting to get better.