Western Media's Manipulation of Tibet Riots Exposed

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Using video that show Nepalese and Indian police and claiming them to be Chinese, completely mistranslating an interview of Tibetan, and making false statements on major western media outlets exposed.

http://anti-cnn.com/ (has English and Chinese) The video they have sums it up. Made by a Chinese student currently studying in Canada.

The media in question include Germany's N-TV, Bild Zeitung, RTV, and the Washington Post. They all have used pictures of baton-wielding Nepalese police in clashes with Tibetan protesters in Kathmandu, and claimed that the officers were Chinese police. More notably, the BBC's and Germany's Berliner Mogenpost's websites both mistakenly labeled a photo of a "rescue" as an "arrest." CNN.com used a cropped photo of Chinese military trucks, cutting off the half of the picture showing a crowd of rioters throwing rocks at the trucks. Germany's weekly journal The Mirror was also singled out for using the distorted caption to tarnish the truth behind the photo.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Here's a quote by 'amylee' from the forum post regarding the cropped image...

You USA invaded Iraq and killed lots of ordinary people. That's your so-called democracy and human rights? It makes me disgusting.

That post says what a lot of people around the world think of the US and *that* is the problem I have with GWB&Co and their 'war on terror'. I hope some of these people realize that there are plenty of US citizens that are just as - if not more - disgusted.

*Sorry to the OP for this brief diversion but I think that point needed to be made.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: sunzt
Using video that show Nepalese and Indian police and claiming them to be Chinese, completely mistranslating an interview of Tibetan, and making false statements on major western media outlets exposed.

http://anti-cnn.com/ (has English and Chinese) The video they have sums it up. Made by a Chinese student currently studying in Canada.

The media in question include Germany's N-TV, Bild Zeitung, RTV, and the Washington Post. They all have used pictures of baton-wielding Nepalese police in clashes with Tibetan protesters in Kathmandu, and claimed that the officers were Chinese police. More notably, the BBC's and Germany's Berliner Mogenpost's websites both mistakenly labeled a photo of a "rescue" as an "arrest." CNN.com used a cropped photo of Chinese military trucks, cutting off the half of the picture showing a crowd of rioters throwing rocks at the trucks. Germany's weekly journal The Mirror was also singled out for using the distorted caption to tarnish the truth behind the photo.
Completely disregarding the ridiculous red herring of the second comment in this thread...that sort of manipulation by the western media is not unknown. We've seen it from Reuters, AP, CNN, and others when they decide they want to present their viewpoint instead of actually presenting the news. And, of course, people trot their reports out as facts that are accepted as the gospel truth even after they've been exposed as lies.

That's why I don't trust the MSM much. Bias, particularly a left-leaning/liberal bias, seems to taint just about anything they put out these days.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Completely disregarding the ridiculous red herring of the second comment in this thread...that sort of manipulation by the western media is not unknown. We've seen it from Reuters, AP, CNN, and others when they decide they want to present their viewpoint instead of actually presenting the news. And, of course, people trot their reports out as facts that are accepted as the gospel truth even after they've been exposed as lies.

That's why I don't trust the MSM much. Bias, particularly a left-leaning/liberal bias, seems to taint just about anything they put out these days.

Whatever. You can disregard it all you want (and I know you will) but GWB&Co have ruined world opinion of this country. Amazingly you somehow blame the liberal left. I'm shocked. :roll:

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

Come on now, you can't just conveniently leave out Fox News just because you support it. Also, can you show me a report showing that the media is biased to the "left" and not just biased to whatever sells? UCLA report has been debunked many times on this forum so any other sources would be appreciated.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: glutenberg

Come on now, you can't just conveniently leave out Fox News just because you support it. Also, can you show me a report showing that the media is biased to the "left" and not just biased to whatever sells? UCLA report has been debunked many times on this forum so any other sources would be appreciated.
I never watch Fox News or read their website, so I really don't give a shit about them like some do in here. I mentioned MSM outlets that I actually watch/read.

But nice assumption. Stupid assumption, but nice seeing you stick your foot in your mouth.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

I never watch Fox News or read their website, so I really don't give a shit about them like some do in here. I mentioned MSM outlets that I actually watch/read.

But nice assumption. Stupid assumption, but nice seeing you stick your foot in your mouth.

Support = watch? You're complaining that the media is completely biased then left out the one major source of news that's known for right leanings, this would lead one to believe that you support it whether you watch it or not. It's no secret what your leanings are in regards to your posts on this forum. You're bashing the media for being biased because they're left leaning and yet you can't provide proof. But thanks for the basically pointless response. Good to see that your posts are still the status quo.

bgeh

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
The BBC makes mistakes too you know...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/the...unblocking_access.html

I quote:

There's no doubt that many in China are annoyed at the way the western media have reported the story. A video on YouTube takes the BBC to task for captioning what appears to be an ambulance with the phrase "there is a heavy military presence in Lhasa". It was a mistake. We don't always get it right - when we get it wrong, we need to say so. On this occasion, the caption was not appropriate for the photograph. The facts are not in dispute - there is a heavy military presence in Lhasa - but we should not have captioned the photo in the way we did.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000

Those videos do show certain Western media use footage wrongly, it's not even good journalism. I am surprised they sneak by without much people object to Indian police labeled as Chinese.

But two wrongs don't make a right--China's brutal treatment of Tibet monks and their culture. Just because Western media is biased, don't mean China is in the right in lot either.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

We've already been over this.

No.

Continuing to say it won't make it true. I guess reality really does have that well known liberal bias.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I call bullshit! Your source is a Chinese government mouthpiece. :thumbsdown:

anti-cnn.com

Jim Rao
Tsinghua University
Beijing, CN 100084
+86.1085148520
lastromance@163.com

Creation Date: 2008-03-18
Registration Date: 2008-03-18
Expiry Date: 2009-03-18

Thanks, but I choose to believe the word of the Dali Lama, a man with a long, verifiable and far greater reputation for credibility and integrity over some flakey, amateur three day old site conveniently started by the Chinese government.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Originally posted by: bgeh

I quote:

There's no doubt that many in China are annoyed at the way the western media have reported the story. A video on YouTube takes the BBC to task for captioning what appears to be an ambulance with the phrase "there is a heavy military presence in Lhasa". It was a mistake. We don't always get it right - when we get it wrong, we need to say so. On this occasion, the caption was not appropriate for the photograph. The facts are not in dispute - there is a heavy military presence in Lhasa - but we should not have captioned the photo in the way we did.

A comment from that link by a Chinese person.

14. At 10:05 AM on 28 Mar 2008, regina wrote:

I am a girl from Guizhou. First, i have to say i can visit the western website ,like BBC. Secondly, i want to let you know there are 56 ethnics in China , not only Tibet and Han. Chinese government didn't treat Tibet different from any other ethnics, instead, they get more support. For example, Han people can only one child ,as you know, however, Miao people and other ethnics can have two. in my opinion, i can't understand why some Tibetians were angry with Han and killed some innocent Han. It was wrong to do so, although we know you wanted to have your voice heard all over the world. As for the some western reporters distorted it as a Peaceful protest, i felt very disappointed. It made me feel i am unwelcome to the westerner ,because you have very deep bias . So many my friends said why we should take too much care of what the westerners said ,most of who have never been to China. Finally, we have been trying very hard to prepare a excellent Olympic Games, even the people the small town like Leishan are excited . However, because of the Tibet protest, it seemed that many westerners were angry with Chinese. If we knew this early, i perfer there is no Games . And this really hurt and frustrated us, the common Chinese people.Olympic Games is just Sport event, how can it become a tool? how i wish my English would be better or you can understand Chinese, then i can show my feeling clearly.Please let the world become peace, Chinese need it , and the people in the world need it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey

anti-cnn.com

Jim Rao
Tsinghua University
Beijing, CN 100084
+86.1085148520
lastromance@163.com

Thanks, but I choose to believe the word of the Dali Lama, a man with a long, verifiable and far greater reputation for credibility and integrity over some flakey, amateur three day old site conveniently started by the Chinese government.

pwned

bgeh

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Originally posted by: bgeh

I quote:

A comment from that link by a Chinese person.

14. At 10:05 AM on 28 Mar 2008, regina wrote:

I am a girl from Guizhou. First, i have to say i can visit the western website ,like BBC. Secondly, i want to let you know there are 56 ethnics in China , not only Tibet and Han. Chinese government didn't treat Tibet different from any other ethnics, instead, they get more support. For example, Han people can only one child ,as you know, however, Miao people and other ethnics can have two. in my opinion, i can't understand why some Tibetians were angry with Han and killed some innocent Han. It was wrong to do so, although we know you wanted to have your voice heard all over the world. As for the some western reporters distorted it as a Peaceful protest, i felt very disappointed. It made me feel i am unwelcome to the westerner ,because you have very deep bias . So many my friends said why we should take too much care of what the westerners said ,most of who have never been to China. Finally, we have been trying very hard to prepare a excellent Olympic Games, even the people the small town like Leishan are excited . However, because of the Tibet protest, it seemed that many westerners were angry with Chinese. If we knew this early, i perfer there is no Games . And this really hurt and frustrated us, the common Chinese people.Olympic Games is just Sport event, how can it become a tool? how i wish my English would be better or you can understand Chinese, then i can show my feeling clearly.Please let the world become peace, Chinese need it , and the people in the world need it.
Seriously, what's the point of quoting the person? My point was to show that the BBC admitted that they've made a mistake. End of story. Well, unless you consider the mistakes to be part of another Western conspiracy against China.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

anti-cnn.com

Jim Rao
Tsinghua University
Beijing, CN 100084
+86.1085148520
lastromance@163.com

What bullshit are you calling out? Even if the website was a Chinese government mouthpiece, the evidence is flatly put out there. The evidence does not change because the motive changes in this case. Someone above you even posted a retraction by the BBC in regards to one of the pieces of evidence.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003

anti-cnn.com

Jim Rao
Tsinghua University
Beijing, CN 100084
+86.1085148520
lastromance@163.com

Like i said, he's an overseas student in Canada who apparently was from Tsinghua U. Are you saying that everyone that goes to a state school is suddenly a government mouthpiece? Man what's your beef with the guy?

It's obviously a very real and serious bias that he is reporting. BBC and CNN are taking the site very seriously and have publicly made statements about them. Do you not like it just because it doesn't fit into your view of everything you've been reading about China so far? Do you get off by hearing all the biased news about China?

Have you even looked at the material or do you just deny everything on that site by closing your eyes and believe it's all photoshop? Do you believe those Indian and Nepalese officers are actually Chinese? You are living in a disillusioned world if you believe so.

The site's new, but it's a little longer than 3 days old though. Theres posts on the forum that are from the 3-26-08. That's a minor detail though. He owns the site, not the Chinese government. Sorry to break it to you, just because he's Chinese doesn't mean he works for the government.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

What bullshit are you calling out? Even if the website was a Chinese government mouthpiece, the evidence is flatly put out there. The evidence does not change because the motive changes in this case. Someone above you even posted a retraction by the BBC in regards to one of the pieces of evidence.

Which part of their bullshit are you calling "evidence?"

Their STATEMENT on "CNN statement on Tibet coverage" is nothing more than a forum post. The first paragraph says:

It is glad to know that CNN has realized the tremendously negative publicity it had earned itself over the Internet recently, and it has abandoned its usual "keep silent" way of dealing with credibility charges by putting out a statement clearing itself on its Tibet coverage, which had been criticized for distorting facts and taking side by many bloggers and news agencies all over the world. The pressure must have been huge that CNN the experienced defendant against credibility accusations (number speaks, googling "CNN lies" returns 653,000 results, more than double of the 305,000 results for "Spitzer prostitution", the hottest news this year) has to respond.

Did you read CNN's statement at the link?

CNN statement on Tibet coverage

(CNN) -- CNN has been singled out for criticism for our coverage of events in Tibet through an anti-CNN.com Web site and elsewhere. We have provided comprehensive coverage of all sides of this story, but two specific allegations relate to pro-Tibetan bias. We would like to take this chance to respond to them:

Allegation 1: CNN intentionally cropped an image in order to remove Tibetan protesters throwing stones at Chinese trucks.

CNN refutes all allegations by bloggers that it distorts its coverage of the events in Tibet to portray either side in a more favorable light. We have consistently and repeatedly shown all sides of this story. The one image in question was used wholly appropriately in the specific editorial context and there could be no confusion regarding what it was showing, not least because it was captioned: "Tibetans throw stones at army vehicles on a street in the capital Lhasa." The picture gallery included in Tibet stories includes the image. (See the gallery)

We have also published images showing violence by Tibetans against the Chinese. A March 18 story shows Tibetan youths attacking a Chinese man. (Read the story)

Additionally, we have published video from the Chinese media apparently showing Tibetans attacking Chinese interests in Lhasa.

Allegation 2: CNN referred to Tibet as a "country."

CNN's policy is to refer to Tibet as "Tibet Autonomous Region of China." In our dozens of stories on the topic to date, we are aware of only two instances where it was incorrectly referenced as a country.

CNN's reputation is based on reporting global news accurately and impartially, while our coverage through the use of words, images or video always reflects a wide range of opinions and points of view on every story.

I'm not going to waste anymore time picking it apart. It isn't worth the time or the effort. I'll just say that, along with the word of the Dali Lama, I also trust CNN far more than I believe anything on this very questionable site.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Which part of their bullshit are you calling "evidence?"

Their STATEMENT on "CNN statement on Tibet coverage" is nothing more than a forum post. The first paragraph says:

It is glad to know that CNN has realized the tremendously negative publicity it had earned itself over the Internet recently, and it has abandoned its usual "keep silent" way of dealing with credibility charges by putting out a statement clearing itself on its Tibet coverage, which had been criticized for distorting facts and taking side by many bloggers and news agencies all over the world. The pressure must have been huge that CNN the experienced defendant against credibility accusations (number speaks, googling "CNN lies" returns 653,000 results, more than double of the 305,000 results for "Spitzer prostitution", the hottest news this year) has to respond.

Just like a mouthpiece you only post part of the actual statement. Do you believe the videos are fake?

STATEMENT on "CNN statement on Tibet coverage"

As witnesses of the false reports from CNN, we recognize the effort CNN makes to polis***ainted image, however, we can only find the statement in its whole an evasive and vague piece trying only to make excuses. We feel pity for CNN again acting in such a dishonest and unapologetic way.

Taking a quick look at what CNN has to say, one will find CNN's excuse for cropping picture laughable. Web based publication has great deal of freedom in presenting multimedia materials including pictures. CNN could have posted the picture in its entirety while moving text to the rest of the area without any trouble at all. Web pages are not printed materials, resizing and reframing paragraphs are virtually costless and effortless. In fact, after being attacked for cropping the picture, CNN modified the page to put a zoomed out version of the entire original photo, without having to move text format at all. Then why did CNN need to crop it in the first place? Also, CNN argues in the statement that the picture was captioned "Tibetans throw stones", then by what motive would a rational editor crop out the exact part of people throwing stones? No excuse can possibly be found to justify the discrepancy between what CNN did and what CNN claims.

Besides, CNN's factual mistakes are not limited to the picture or calling Tibet as a country. During its TV airing until as late as March 25th, when multiple sources had confirmed Tibet riot violent and deadly, CNN anchors repeated called Tibetan turbulence a "peaceful protest". It was exceptionally misleading and was a major distortion of fact. Even after www.anti-CNN.com had published the mistakes of CNN and other news outlets, Lou Dobbs of CNN continued to use the same wrong descriptions in his TV program. Even an whole team of unprofessional reporters and editors would not be a strong excuse to make up for this.

CNN also repetitively refused to identify the dead as victims of the riot, and in their carefully calculated lines constantly implied that they were protesters left dead by government actions, while in fact, they were murdered by those CNN-called "peaceful protesters".
Observing all these facts, no one could be convinced that CNN's distortions and erroneous messages were simply editorial or technical mistakes. They are consistent and still on-going, in favor of one side of the story.

In addition, CNN has in its reports repetitively excluded Tibetan ethnics from the Chinese. This is unacceptable, or in the American term, politically incorrect. It is just similar to calling African American and Caucasian American as Blacks and American.

While the German news agency RTL had quickly acknowledged and apologized for its mistake after www.anti-cnn.com pointed it out, professionals in journalism at CNN still refuse to acknowledge mistakes to redeem trust. We have to say, the denial issued by CNN on March 28th was just a weak and pathetic attempt to weasle away from the systematic lying campaign CNN had conducted in the past weeks.

By FridayInLove Anti-cnn.com

Originally posted by: Vic
pwned

If you mean that he pwned himself by looking like an idiot then yes. Otherwise, no.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

Just like a mouthpiece you only post part of the actual statement. Do you believe the videos are fake?

The more operative question is whether I care. I don't.

The Chinese government invaded Tibet and has been the oppressing native Tibetan people for decades. I have no reason to believe anything they say, and I don't have time to waste trying to overcome their lack of crediblity.

I'm out of this one.

Jetster

Aug 1, 2005

can you tell me what makes Dalai Lama so great, I keep hearing how great he is, but I have yet to find what he has really done for the world. yes, he is a good speaker, and can really use metaphor, and can give people warm and fuzzy feeling, but it seems he is all talk and no walk, even so many Hollywood actors have done so many more real practical things than him. he received Nobel peace prize, but so did Yasser Arafat, who in contrast has really accomplished something and left a legacy whether it's good or bad. the only action i can find about dalai is that his group received millions of dollar and training from CIA, and support for India nuclear development. It just seem the more I look into it, he is nowhere near what he is made out to be.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I know this is a diversion.. but, never trust any corporate media.

Look at what they have allowed Neocons to do to America.. we are nearly bankrupt financially and morally.

Sep 12, 2004

Support = watch? You're complaining that the media is completely biased then left out the one major source of news that's known for right leanings, this would lead one to believe that you support it whether you watch it or not. It's no secret what your leanings are in regards to your posts on this forum. You're bashing the media for being biased because they're left leaning and yet you can't provide proof. But thanks for the basically pointless response. Good to see that your posts are still the status quo.
If I don't watch it, how the hell can I support it? I don't care about Fox one way or the other. I pay it no mind. Nor did I state that the media is "completely" biased left. WTF is wrong with those certain people in here that feel they must misrepresent what their ideological opposition is saying?

The majority of the MSM leans left, yet the lefties don't want to acknowledge that fact. Yet if a single one leans to the right, like Fox, you guys get your collective panties in a twist in here. You know what that attitude demonstrates? It demonstrates the overwhelming left tilt to P&N.

Thanks for yet another demonstration.

Nor did I need to state anything about Fox because you chimed in anyway. I had no doubt someone would raise that flag. So thanks for being predictable too.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
China won't even let Western media anywhere near Tibet (at least not without chaperones and only to see carefully staged events) and then has the unmitigated gall to complain that the Western media doesn't get the story right? Give me a break.

It's interesting to see state controlled media complaining about corporate dominated media. Personally I think corporate media is the lesser of two evils.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: eskimospy

We've already been over this.

No.

Continuing to say it won't make it true. I guess reality really does have that well known liberal bias.
Yeah, it's not true that Reuters, AP, and CNN have all put forth complete BS that, somehow, always tends to be anti-war, anti-Bush, or anti-US in nature. Rathergate wasn't liberal in nature. The fake soldiers and real soldiers making up stories about Iraq weren't liberal either.

Why, to prove it you can even provide a couple links, out of the hundreds of studies you claim to exist that show otherwise, that one has to pay for to even see. Yeah buddy. You've been over it and showed everyone.

:roll:

Edit: btw, I'm still waiting for your answers to my questions in this thread.