Question Western Digital SN850 NVMe SSD model version differences, WDS100T1X0E WDBAPY0010BNC

Nov 26, 2005
Just read the Anandtech review today for the SN850 WD Black NVMe SSD and picked one up. Both the Anandtech review, and the store advertisement, stated the SN850 model number as WDS100T1X0E. I left the store, checked the SN850 out and the model number is WDBAPY0010BNC. Did I just buy some nerfed SN850 with a different controller revision er something?

I did a little searching and could only find a question on a bestbuy page and the response was: "Hi, Please be informed that the WDBAUY0010BNC is a bare SSD drive sold without any pre-installed software. Whereas, WDBAPY0010BNC is not bare and backward compatible with PCIe Gen3 x2, PCIe Gen3 x1, PCIe Gen2 x4, PCIe Gen2 x2, and PCIe Gen2 x1 Need Help? Please see our "'Contact Us" page for information."

Should I return it and get something else?

What the crap!

DSC_0115.jpg

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Best Buy is known to get specific model numbers in SSDs that they only sell (so as not to have to price match).

I don't know what software would come preinstalled on the drive, and pretty much all the PCIe 4.0 drives I've seen listed are all backwards compatible with past revisions (e.g. PCIe 3.0, 2.0, etc.). So to me it appears that whoever typed that answer you referenced simply didn't know what they were talking about (or weren't allowed to say it was a Best Buy specific model for price-matching reasons).

I doubt there is any difference in speeds (or anything else) between the two different versions.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Best Buy frequently has tech companies create proprietary model numbers so they do not have to price match the same product at other retailers. I have seen no evidence WD is making multiple hardware revisions with different specification.

I wouldn't sweat it, WD is a reputable enough brand (excepting the HAMR stuff)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I see.

Microcenter also has specific models at times as well. I don't have a local Microcenter, but I've seen plenty of just-for-Best Buy Western Digital versions over the years. The specs of the drive are the exact same as I can see, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

SalvadorSTM

Jul 25, 2021
This is incorrect.
The reason they have different models is because the one sold at best buy is OEM but not warrantied by WD.
This means that if it ever breaks, WD's limited warranty will not apply and they're not responsible for it. They will point fingers at best buy.
You will not even be able to register the bestbuy drives on WDs site.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
This is incorrect.
The reason they have different models is because the one sold at best buy is OEM but not warrantied by WD.
This means that if it ever breaks, WD's limited warranty will not apply and they're not responsible for it. They will point fingers at best buy.
You will not even be able to register the bestbuy drives on WDs site.
Proof of your claim?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
That's odd. They show the warranty as 5 years in the image above.

B&H Photo also sells the same model, and they list the warranty as 5 years as well: B&H Photo link

While B&H Photo sells some products that are international (like some Galaxy cell phones), they state so and say it doesn't have a warranty in the U.S. As far as Best Buy, I don't recall seeing them ever sell "grey market" PC components before.