Western Digital Mainstream Internal Hard Drive = Green

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, Red and Black would hardly be mainstream. You were expecting a Blue?

I would have. Didn't Seagate announce that they were discontinuing their 5900 RPM drive lines, because the power savings on 7200 RPM drives had become so good? And yet, now, WD is stuffing their "Mainstream" retail drive boxes with 5400 RPM "Green" drives.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Didn't Seagate announce that they were discontinuing their 5900 RPM drive lines,

No idea about that, but I did get one a few years back when WD greens were out of stock. Regretted it as the seagate's seek noise was just bad.

I know it was as I was using external USB drive docks at the time.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I hope not, the rotation speed of the drive says intellipower. ONLY green drives use intellipower.

This is exactly why I was expecting a green type drive.

I was a bit surprised to see that the drive's label had not been updated, though.

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
So you pay 20$ for a box...

I hope not, the rotation speed of the drive says intellipower. ONLY green drives use intellipower.

That, and also the blue range tops out at 1TB for some reason. Afaik intellipower just means 5400rpm constant. Anyway, 5400rpm with 1TB platters isn't so bad.

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
Well, I only buy oem so I don't really know, but I thought the difference would be smaller. Then again, price difference between Windows retail and oem version is much bigger I think.

But they describe it as a kit, so maybe some screws are included.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Well, I only buy oem so I don't really know, but I thought the difference would be smaller. Then again, price difference between Windows retail and oem version is much bigger I think.

But they describe it as a kit, so maybe some screws are included.

LOL

That's exactly what they mean by "kit".

Also, I think the OEM green drives are a bit cheaper as they dump stock of old models (just a guess on my part).

sub.mesa

Feb 16, 2010
Green harddrives actually DOES mean 5400rpm or 5400rpm class. WD Green is one brand of green harddrive, but WD Green is not the same as green harddrives. Just like Mercedes is a type of car but not all cars are of the Mercedes brand.

Intellipower is a marketing gimmick to hide the fact that drives run at 5400rpm-5900rpm because consumers think that is slow. Of course, what consumers are not being told is that the REAL specification is the data density which is kept outside of marketing material. Otherwise, you could quickly judge whether a harddrive is modern or using older technology. The marketing department doesn't want you to have this ability; it wants to use marketing speech.

Actually Intellipower means that the RPM is slightly different for each batch of drives that leave the factory. During manufacturing, the exact rpm is tuned and programmed. This is why changing the PCB of one drive for another even of the same type doesn't usually work.

Contrary to popular belief, the lower the RPM the better. The real advance is not in higher RPM but rather in higher data density. Higher RPM does help IOps performance, but that has become more or less irrelevant with the advance of SSD storage devices. HDDs today are pretty much used for mass storage of large files, so sequential performance is key here. Low RPM drives with high data densities do very good in this respect, and you have all the other advantages of lower RPM as well.

I would say the ideal drive is a 4200rpm drive with insane high data density. It will be faster than 15.000rpm drives of the current generation, but only use 15-20% of the power and thus run much cooler, more quiet, generate less vibrations and is likely to be more reliable as well.