Discussion Western Digital Customer service redeem codes

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
Just wanted to put this out to folks, I had purchased a 1 TB WD Black SN750 se Battlefield 2042 special edition which was on sale. It turns out that the redeem code was not valid, doing a quick search tells me that others have had this problem.

So I had to call WD and get a ticket started, they said all that was required was a picture of the receipt, and of the code card. I suppled them those things, and just got another e-mail stating that they wanted a picture of the actual drive. So I did that as well, which was annoying as I had already deployed the drive.

At this time I have two WD black drives one 500 GB SN 750 is running Linux, the other this one is on a PCIE adapter card running at gen 3 speeds. I did not want to swap out the drives due to having a good setup under Linux, even if I have a gen 4 M.2 slot on that machine.

For those who are curious I know that the SN750 is dramless, but gen 4, while on the adapter card I am seeing about a 10%-12% drop from other speed tests so am satisfied with the performance. I used AS SSD benchmark test, and ran a few tests.

The test I compared too were using the CrystalMark Benchmark so not an apples to apples comparison, but good enough. I am also on X370 Motherboard that is my gaming machine which happens to run windows 10. So I would not have a gen 4 slot anyway. This machine also has a 3900X bios date of 2020. For the most part this board is is EOL, will not get any bios updates, or other software upgrades. The board is an MSI X370 SLI plus all X16 slots are full, have a GTX 1080, NVME adapter card, and a 10 gig Intel nic card on the bottom slot. I assume that with said cards my GTX will run at X8 speed, but can't tell the difference for the most part.

Just wanted to say that I will no longer buy any WD products I was hesitant with this purchase, but it was on sale and I thought that Battlefield game was a good deal as I haven't played much battlefield and would probably not buy the game outright. But the bundle got me, and I got a good deal on storage. I already had the pcie adapter card so figured why not.

I think in the future I will go with Sabrent or a non dramless card, funny thing is a Sabrent card went on sale for about same price I paid for the black. I will not support a company that has such poor customer service, and changes the requirements of whats needed just to avoid some bots, or folks who might have used key code generators. Yes I have thought about returning the drive, and get my money back make WD eat a used drive due to how they deal with redeem codes.

R81z3n1

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Just wanted to put this out to folks, I had purchased a 1 TB WD Black SN750 se Battlefield 2042 special edition which was on sale. It turns out that the redeem code was not valid, doing a quick search tells me that others have had this problem.

So I had to call WD and get a ticket started, they said all that was required was a picture of the receipt, and of the code card. I suppled them those things, and just got another e-mail stating that they wanted a picture of the actual drive. So I did that as well, which was annoying as I had already deployed the drive.

I think in the future I will go with Sabrent or a non dramless card, funny thing is a Sabrent card went on sale for about same price I paid for the black. I will not support a company that has such poor customer service, and changes the requirements of whats needed just to avoid some bots, or folks who might have used key code generators. Yes I have thought about returning the drive, and get my money back make WD eat a used drive due to how they deal with redeem codes.

So they needed a few pictures to ensure you were a legit buyer, but ended up sending you a new valid code for you to get the video game?

I agree it would slightly annoying, but just like companies like Noctua, Be Quiet, etc. requiring a few pictures in order to send out free adapters for their products for new sockets, it's just the name of the game to weed out scammers/bots.

I guess we all have reasons not to do business with certain companies, but IMO this is kind of a weak reason to avoid all WD SSDs in the future. o_O

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
That's the good thing about competition an alternative is available, just don't like to reward companies for bad behavior. I will say this it will be many years before I consider WD again.

R81Z3N1

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Huh, and all this time I've been doing the stupid thing of evaluating components based on their performance and features against their price. Clearly, game codes are a far more important determining factor. Silly me.

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
It's funny how all this works, I guess some don't consider the time involved as well as the aggravation that poor customer service puts on customers. Shame on us if our time is valuable.

Not to mention that other products are better in this segment as well as prices. I already mentioned that Sabrent had some good deals on what might be considered a better product.

I also wonder how some folks forget that this is not the only incident this company has problems with. I guess SMR, and not to mention changing controllers within a product line seem to fly under the radar.

R81Z3N1

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
WD has some really good products, I for one have really been a fan of their WD black mech drives over the past decade.

And as far as bundled game codes I hope you learned a valuable lesson, since many others have gotten screwed by lots of companies. For example many of them are "while supplies last" so you can't count on them at all.

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
I am still waiting on code's as we speak, been over a week since sent in original request. Been over a day since last request, as a global company the customer service is really unacceptable.

The reason I had to call global number is I did not want to create an WD account just for a code that should work out of the box. I bet after Christmas a lot of folks who got these drive's as gifts and really wanted to play the game will be really upset.

You have to remember other alternatives are available, and like I mentioned before some folks seem to have a short memory. If WD treats their customers this way they should loose market share.

As a recap, company wants to gain market share, makes special widget, partners with famous software developer agrees to bundle software with hardware. Software token is invalid, customer not getting what they paid for and what was advertised. Makes customer wait, and treats customer as 2nd or 3rd class citizen. Folks think that this behavior is acceptable?

R81Z3N1

R81Z3N1

Jul 15, 2017
Just a small update, I was finally able to get my game code in e-mail today, the process was stated on Nov 30th and the code was redeemed in Origin. I am just glad that it was resolved and is over.

Good luck you all of you if you have purchased this product, I honestly think they disabled the codes in the box due to key gens, or scalpers who might have access to large amount of those drives. I honestly feel that a lot of folks will be upset at Christmas time, who got these as gifts.

R81Z3N1