• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Wester Digital MyCloud single Bay doesn't support remote backup

rameijn

Oct 27, 2016
Hello,

Recently I bought 2 Western Digital Single bay My Cloud. One to store my local backups and a second one to make a copy of the first cloud storage to the second one so I could keep a backup out site my home.

This is what I did also with a previous edition (MyBook live).

WD says now to me that only the new single bay storage doesn't support external backup-ups even when an icon is build in to create a remote storage. All other my cloud storages does support the remote backup. The version I bought is firmware 2.xx.xx. The previous firmware version 4.xx.xx does support a remote backup.

WD wouldn't help me to solve this issue so does any one know a solution how to fix this? Otherwise I want to warn other customers about this lack of functionality of this my cloud edition.

Kind regards,

Richard Meijn

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, that stinks that they are apparently crippling the firmware of the single-bay MyCloud NAS units, to not have the same level of functionality throughout the entire MyCloud NAS lineup. They must be learning from Intel. :(

Noted.

Edit: Waitasec, nearly all of the MyCloud NAS units, from 1TB to 8TB, are single-bay. And I'm pretty sure that the LonOnTech YouTube review of his MyCloud unit showed / tested the remote backup feature.

So, either you are mistaken, and didn't configure something correctly, or they're removing functionality that was advertised.

Edit: Are you saying, that the units you recently purchased, are on 2.xx firmware, but units you previously purchased that had 4.xx firmware, DID have the functionality? Why not just update to the 4.xx firmware?

Last edited:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
My my cloud drive had Mionet for external login but WD since shuttered that functionality. I presume the relationship soured.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

rameijn

Oct 27, 2016
Today I got an answer from WD:

Dear Richard Meijn,

Thank you for your reply.

My name is Luis and I have taken over your case.

Single bay My Cloud doesn't support remote backup to another Single bay My Cloud, this can be only be done with My Cloud that has Remote Server. It is basically every My Cloud from the My Cloud series except for the single bay device.

We can't guarantee this will change with the next Firmware update.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

This is still not a solution. Does any one know how to get an decent solution from WD?

Kind regards,

Richard Meijn

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Networking 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY