West Virginia: The state no one cares about.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: senseamp
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: M0RPH
Why is it that when whites vote for the white candidate, it's racism... but when 90% of blacks vote for the black candidate, somehow it's not?

Double standards are great.

It's not a double standard because it's not racism for blacks to vote for Obama, just like it's not sexism when women vote for Hillary. It IS sexism to not vote for Hillary because she's a woman, or to not vote for Obama because he's black.

Is it racist for blacks to vote for Obama because he's black?
Is it racist for whites to vote for Hillary because she's white?

I sure hope you have same answer to both questions.

You're trying to create a parallel where one doesn't exist. Whites aren't an ethnic group, they are the substantial apparent majority made up of a lot of ethnicities, and there is nothing special about a viable "white" presidential candidate.

The analogy for blacks voting for Obama because he's black is Irish voting for Kennedy because he was Irish, or Evangelists voting for George Bush because he's an Evangelical, or women voting for Clinton because she's female, none of which represent bigotry.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Interestingly enough, exit polls in W.V. suggest that race IS a factor. Go figure.

EXIT POLLS: The Race Factor in West Virginia
One-Third of Whites Citing Race in Vote Would Support Obama Over McCain

[...]

The Race Factor
Racially motivated voting ran somewhat higher than elsewhere: Two in 10 whites said the race of the candidate was a factor in their vote, second only to Mississippi. Just 32 percent of those voters said they'd support Obama against John McCain, fewer than in other primaries where the question's been asked.

Indeed, as noted, among all West Virginia primary voters, only 53 percent they'd support Obama vs. McCain, far fewer than elsewhere and one of many signs of antipathy toward Obama in the state.

Among Clinton's supporters, just 37 percent said they'd vote for him against McCain; nearly as many said they'd back McCain, the rest, sit it out.

[...]

Ninety-five percent of voters were whites, just 30 percent were college graduates -- the fewest in any primary this year ? and 55 percent had household incomes under $50,000, among the most in primaries to date.

ABC News

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Why is it that when whites vote for the white candidate, it's racism... but when 90% of blacks vote for the black candidate, somehow it's not?

It's not a double standard because it's not racism for blacks to vote for Obama, just like it's not sexism when women vote for Hillary. It IS sexism to not vote for Hillary because she's a woman, or to not vote for Obama because he's black.

You're trying to create a parallel where one doesn't exist. Whites aren't an ethnic group, they are the substantial apparent majority made up of a lot of ethnicities, and there is nothing special about a viable "white" presidential candidate.

The analogy for blacks voting for Obama because he's black is Irish voting for Kennedy because he was Irish, or Evangelists voting for George Bush because he's an Evangelical, or women voting for Clinton because she's female, none of which represent bigotry.

So you do have a different answer to my question for whites and blacks?
Irish voting for Kennedy because he's Irish would be like Kenyans voting for Obama because he's Kenyan.
Blacks voting for Obama because he's black is same as whites voting for Hillary because she's white.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Wow, thats quite a racist attitude you have there. So you're saying that Whites are from all different ethnicities, countries, etc... but blacks are all the same? Nice.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Irish voting for Kennedy because he's Irish would be like Kenyans voting for Obama because he's Kenyan.
Blacks voting for Obama because he's black is same as whites voting for Hillary because she's white.

Blacks in America are only 12% of the population, and were stripped of all original culture, so they are, for all intents and purposes, an ethnic group. No African American knowns whether he's descended from Masai or Pygmies-- all that's left is black identity. There's no such thing as a white identity, BECAUSE they are the vast majority and not an ethnic group at all.There is however "white working class", Irish, German, WASP, evangelical, etc. The closest thing to a group for all whites is American.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: JD50

Wow, thats quite a racist attitude you have there. So you're saying that Whites are from all different ethnicities, countries, etc... but blacks are all the same? Nice.

I said blacks in America. Ask almost any white person what ethnicity he or she is, and you'll get an answer like "German and Irish" or "Scottish" or "Mutt". Ask a black person descended from slaves the same question, and you won't get an answer.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Duddy
West Virginia is 96% White and about 3% Black.

Only 75% of the states teens graduated High School, and only 14% of them went on to get a Bachelor's degree or higher.

Some quotes that Obama's foot soldiers have heard in West Virginia while campaigning:

?I'll never vote for a black person.?

?White people [should] look out for white people.?

?Hamas votes BHO!?

?He's a half-breed and he's a Muslim. How can you trust that??

?Hang that darky from a tree!?

These are actual quotes. Obama supporters are afraid to campaign in West Virginia because of the HIGH concentration of bigotry and racists. Anyone who truly knows West Virginia is very aware that it is the most racist state in the US.

But Hillary shouldn't consider this a win. In fact, it is McCain who will win this state in the election.West Virginia has more American Legions and VFW posts than it does high schools. And a very large percentage of their youth serve in the military. They have a lower education profile, a lower income, and they have plenty of pride and belief in family.

Obama will just have to write-off West Virginia come November.
Holy crap, that state is more 'neck that I thought. Makes Alabamians look like damned greek scholars by comparison.

Hillary's numbers tonight are a bit embarrassing, not for Obama, but the US.

In any case, she didn't even recover the super Ds Obama made up since NC. She remains doomed.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
senseamp, go read the posts in the other thread you're participating in.

learn about racism other than a facial, dictionary understanding of what it is.

your understanding and assumption that you are 100% right is unbelievably ignorant

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Blacks in America are only 12% of the population, and were stripped of all original culture, so they are, for all intents and purposes, an ethnic group. No African American knowns whether he's descended from Masai or Pygmies-- all that's left is black identity. There's no such thing as a white identity, BECAUSE they are the vast majority and not an ethnic group at all.There is however "white working class", Irish, German, WASP, evangelical, etc. The closest thing to a group for all whites is American.

That is a double standard that says it's OK for blacks to be racist, but not whites, simply because they choose to cling on to their race as their identity.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

I said blacks in America. Ask almost any white person what ethnicity he or she is, and you'll get an answer like "German and Irish" or "Scottish" or "Mutt". Ask a black person descended from slaves the same question, and you won't get an answer.

There are plenty of Blacks not descended from slaves. Go find a guy that immigrated here from Jamaica and tell him that he has the same ethnic background as a black guy whose family has lived in America for generations. Let us know how it goes.

This is a silly argument anyways. We are not talking about ethnic groups, we're talking about race. You and the other Obama supporters are accusing white people that decide not to vote for Obama as being racist. In your opinion, it's ok for a black guy to vote for Obama because he's black, but it's not ok for a white guy to vote for McCain because he's white.

That's a double standard. You can make lame excuses all you want, but you are still supporting a racist double standard. I think for the first ever I am actually in agreement with Senseamp.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Which means that it's OK for people who are ignorant of their ethnic heritage to be racist?
So if a white answers he is of white ethnicity, he can go ahead and be racist all he wants?

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000

That is a double standard that says it's OK for blacks to be racist, but not whites, simply because they choose to cling on to their race as their identity.

i dont know why im responding as it seems worthless, but . . .

there's NOT a double standard here. and your analysis isn't right. i dont understand how you think you can compare whites and blacks in this way. whites are the power group. blacks arent. the history is completely different. all this has a profound effect on what is racism for both races.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
if you vote against someone because of their race then it is racist

is it that hard to understand?

if a black person is voting against HRC because she is white then said black person is racist.

if a white person is voting against Obama because he is black then said white person is racist.

Now if a person is voting for HRC because she is white then that implies that he/she didnt vote for Obama because he is black.

If a black person votes for Obama because he is black then that implies that he/she didnt vote for HRC because she is white.

IN OTHER WORDS

voting because of race is stupid and can be considered racist.

IN OTHER WORDS

all of those idiots in the exit polls that said race "is a factor" have openly stated that they are racist.

race shouldnt be a factor...on either side.

If you vote for someone or against someone because of race you are an idiot and I will call you racist.
Edit: So im curious what the exit polls said about race "being a factor" in WV. Now, granted the turnout was something like 95% white in that state...

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: maziwanka

there's NOT a double standard here. and your analysis isn't right. i dont understand how you think you can compare whites and blacks in this way. whites are the power group. blacks arent. the history is completely different. all this has a profound effect on what is racism for both races.

You have different standards wrt racism depending on if the person is white or black. That is basically the definition of a double standard.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: OrByte

if a black person is voting against HRC because she is white then said black person is racist.

if a white person is voting against Obama because he is black then said white person is racist.

Now if a person is voting for HRC because she is white then that implies that he/she didnt vote for Obama because he is black.

If a black person votes for Obama because he is black then that implies that he/she didnt vote for HRC because she is white.

IN OTHER WORDS

IN OTHER WORDS

all of those idiots in the exit polls that said race "is a factor" have openly stated that they are racist.

If you vote for someone or against someone because of race you are an idiot and I will call you racist.

:thumbsup:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

How are whites the power group? I don't have any special powers because I am white. I have same rights and opportunities as any other American.
Also, how is history a justification for present day black racism? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002

There are plenty of Blacks not descended from slaves. Go find a guy that immigrated here from Jamaica and tell him that he has the same ethnic background as a black guy whose family has lived in America for generations. Let us know how it goes.

This is a silly argument anyways. We are not talking about ethnic groups, we're talking about race. You and the other Obama supporters are accusing white people that decide not to vote for Obama as being racist. In your opinion, it's ok for a black guy to vote for Obama because he's black, but it's not ok for a white guy to vote for McCain because he's white.

That's a double standard. You can make lame excuses all you want, but you are still supporting a racist double standard. I think for the first ever I am actually in agreement with Senseamp.

Stop being ignorant and comparing whites to blacks. Your obviously not a black person (as suggested by your avatar).

Imagine that your white. Then imagine that every President since Washington has been black and all of a sudden a smart white guy comes along in the election.

As a white person, would you not want to vote for him?

I don't think so.

I fully expect EVERY black person to vote Obama because I think they deserve someone to better represent them other than rappers or drug dealers.

Young black children and teens will do better when they can look up to the President instead of Soulja Boy.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
just because a state doesn't support Obama doesn't make it irrelevant. Your hostile attitudes against smaller states is why small town people think Obama and his Obotsmas that they're elitists.

Yes it does.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

How are whites the power group? I don't have any special powers because I am white. I have same rights and opportunities as any other American.
Also, how is history a justification for present day black racism? Two wrongs don't make a right.

If you choose to not vote for Obama, then what person of color would you support for becoming President?

Hypothetically that is...

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

IN OTHER WORDS

IN OTHER WORDS

If Obama was white, blacks would be voting for Clinton since the working class has voted for her. So, all of those blacks voting for Obama are racist. Gotcha!

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

IN OTHER WORDS

IN OTHER WORDS

If Obama was white, blacks would be voting for Clinton since the working class has voted for her. So, all of those blacks voting for Obama are racist. Gotcha!

Please show me where I said that black people that vote for Obama are racist or STFU.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: UberNeuman

If you choose to not vote for Obama, then what person of color would you support for becoming President?

That's a race bait question but I would probably have supported Colin Powell if he didn't lie for Bush about Iraq.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: UberNeuman

That's a race bait question but I would probably have supported Colin Powell if he didn't lie for Bush about Iraq.

It's hardly a race bait question as I'd like your viewpoint about what people of color you'd feel would be worthy of serving the office.