West Virginia: The state no one cares about.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Duddy
CNN: Exit polls: 35 percent of Clinton supporters would pick McCain over Obama.

And the state with the most racist "democrats" goes to......(drum roll)....... West Virginia!

right, because the only reason for what could possibly be race :roll:

In a state with 96% white god-fearing christians, that never elected a black man into a state office and would rather pick the other white person in the other partyrather than someone in their own party....

Yes, I think it's fair to say that, for the most part, racism is the cause. Prove to me otherwise. :)

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: conehead433
When you consider the number of voters in WV that actually graduated from high school it's no surprise that Hillary wins here. Stupid is as stupid does.

This is a poor argument. It's already been shown that WV is not bad off in the graduation rates compared to the rest of the nation. The nation's average is in the high 60s and WV is higher than big states like CA. If you want to attack WV at least attack it for substance and not a sense of false, misinformed superiority.

sprok

Mar 10, 2008

And the state with the most racist "democrats" goes to......(drum roll)....... West Virginia!

In a state with 96% white god-fearing christians, that never elected a black man into a state office and would rather pick the other white person instead of someone in their own party....

Yes, I think it's fair to say that, for the most part, racism is the cause. Prove to me otherwise. :)

Look, I'm sure the democrats in WVa has gone over the important issues and has decided they would rather support McCain than the black muslim.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

In a state with 96% white god-fearing christians, that never elected a black man into a state office and would rather pick the other white person in the other partyrather than someone in their own party....

You're a racist bigot. Prove to me otherwise.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

that must be why Gore and Kerry lost WV.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Is this really what we have to look forward to until November? OMG you didn't vote for Obama you're a racist!!!?!?!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Excuse my French, but fuck Billary. The Clintons care about themselves and nothing else.

speaking of stupid is as stupid does... :laugh:

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
I'm not saying that if you don't vote for Obama that your racist!

I'm saying that in West Virginia, the main reason Clinton won is because alot of people there are racist.

Sexism isn't as abundant in America as racism. So that card is out the window. Therefore, you cannot say the reverse!

Why don't some of you on here get that?

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Excuse my French, but fuck Billary. The Clintons care about themselves and nothing else.

speaking of stupid is as stupid does... :laugh:

You mean like over 17000 stupid posts. Congratulations.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
West Virginia gets 28 delegates. If Clinton gets 20 and Obama gets 8, she's still on the losing side at the convention. Hell, if she got all 28, it wouldn't really change a thing...

So, I think it's important not to put too much into the outcome of the vote there, other than to acknowledge that, unfortunately, Race is a factor, even though the only thing "Black" about Obama is the color of his skin... Which, even today, as in the days of slavery, is entirely enough for some people...

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
And I can tell that loki is a Hillary supporter just by his flaming posts. :)

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

I'm saying that in West Virginia, the main reason Clinton won is because alot of people there are racist.

Sexism isn't as abundant in America as racism. So that card is out the window. Therefore, you cannot say the reverse!

Sexism isn't as abundant as racism? If anything, sexism is one of the most overlooked wrongs out there.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

that must be why Gore and Kerry lost WV.
Gore and Kerry lost WV because they didnt pander to Pro-life, gun-luvin bigots. :)

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: glutenberg

Sexism isn't as abundant as racism? If anything, sexism is one of the most overlooked wrongs out there.

How do you mean?

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Obama supporters will continue to believe that attending a church ran by a racist is OK, because Obama is such a oh-so-wonderful public speaker.

McCain landslide perhaps?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

I like Hillary. I didn't vote for her in the primaries, though.

I just think a lot of the attacks against her are baseless, like the idea that every single person in WV is some huge racist and her winning could have nothing to do with the fact that she spent more time there than Obama, WV voted for Bill twice, she's appealed to working-class voters since the begining, etc, etc.

it's not like she's winning whites by the same margins Obama is winning blacks by, and anyone who makes the argument that blacks are voting on racial lines seems to be immediately branded as a bigot.

nothing that's happened tonight is going to change the outcome of the democratic primary, it just highlights where Obama needs to improve and where McCain is going to attack him.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002

I like Hillary. I didn't vote for her in the primaries, though.

I just think a lot of the attacks against her are baseless, like the idea that every single person in WV is some huge racist and her winning could have nothing to do with the fact that she spent more time there than Obama, WV voted for Bill twice, she's appealed to working-class voters since the begining, etc, etc.

it's not like she's winning whites by the same margins Obama is winning blacks by, and anyone who makes the argument that blacks are voting on racial lines seems to be immediately branded as a bigot.

nothing that's happened tonight is going to change the outcome of the democratic primary, it just highlights where Obama needs to improve and where McCain is going to attack him.

Perfect response!

/end thread

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

I can agree with those statements.nice job.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: M0RPH
Why is it that when whites vote for the white candidate, it's racism... but when 90% of blacks vote for the black candidate, somehow it's not?

Double standards are great.

It's not a double standard because it's not racism for blacks to vote for Obama, just like it's not sexism when women vote for Hillary. It IS sexism to not vote for Hillary because she's a woman, or to not vote for Obama because he's black.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Shouldn't techs be in here gloating, or has even he conceded that Obama is going to win the nomination?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Why is it that when whites vote for the white candidate, it's racism... but when 90% of blacks vote for the black candidate, somehow it's not?

It's not a double standard because it's not racism for blacks to vote for Obama, just like it's not sexism when women vote for Hillary. It IS sexism to not vote for Hillary because she's a woman, or to not vote for Obama because he's black.

Is it racist for blacks to vote for Obama because he's black?
Is it racist for whites to vote for Hillary because she's white?

I sure hope you have same answer to both questions.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003

You could also say that whites are not voting AGAINST the black candidate, but voting FOR the white candidate. If blacks can support a black man, why can't whites support a white woman? You just assume that all whites are voting against the black guy.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: glutenberg

How do you mean?

Just take a look at how defensive men get when they run into a successful woman. She instantly becomes a bitch, she's power hungry, she's a lesbian, etc. It's so pervasive that it's colloquial. People say it without a second thought. Imagine if the same attitudes were held for discussing race. Even in US history for civil rights, women received their rights after people of differing races did (specifically the men of those differing races).

A big reason I have alot of respect for Hillary is because it really takes that strong of a woman to bear the ridiculous nature of a fight to the top. I may not like the way she handled her campaign, but she is still an amazing person in my humble opinion. Overall, both racism and sexism are still extremely common in our society but I believe sexism is still worse in this country. Not only is it abundant but it's openly abundant.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: senseamp

Is it racist for blacks to vote for Obama because he's black?
Is it racist for whites to vote for Hillary because she's white?

I sure hope you have same answer to both questions.
Its racist for whites not to vote for Obama because he's black.
Its racist for blacks not to vote for Clinton because she's white.
Its sexist for men not to vote for Clinton because she's a woman.