Were you taught the formal definition of a limit of a function in Calc I?

Aug 10, 2001
Something like the following:

Let f : D->R and let c be an accumulation point of D. Then the limit of f at c is L iff for each e>0 there exists a d>0 such that |f(x)-L|<e whenever 0<|x-c|<d and x is an element of D.

or

The lim x->c f(x) = L iff for each neigborhood V of L there exists a deleted neighborhood U of c such that f(UnD) is a subset of V.

I don't remember what I was taught.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I took AP calc in high school and i didn't learn it there. But then when i took it again in college (didnt score high enough on the AP test) i did learn it there. I remember it specifically because 2 years later as i persued a degree in math i had to prove why that is true.
It was worded a LOT differently though in CAlc 1....like instead of accumulation point they used just "as x approaches" and the epsilon and sigma were just part of the limit equation.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
yes
and we also weren't allowed to do integrals until we learned the proof for the fundamental theory of calculus :thumbsdown:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I don't recall. All I recall is that I didn't totally understand Calculus until I had finished it and saw it's application to the world.

I still think people don't "get" calculus even after they are done with it.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Drakkon
they used just "as x approaches" and the epsilon and sigma were just part of the limit equation.

This is how I learned it in AP Calc AB -- didn't know there were more advanced terms, but I haven't taken math since then....

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: eakers
yes
and we also weren't allowed to do integrals until we learned the proof for the fundamental theory of calculus :thumbsdown:

I fvking hated that:p

so much algebra to simply some of those...the memories burn:(

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Yes, this should be the first chapter of Calculus I.

I don't know how the hell did they not teach you that.

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
I learned the formal proof in Calculus last quarter. The whole epsilon/delta nonsense.
Don't take real analysis. Epilson and delta pop up everywhere.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Random Variable
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
I learned the formal proof in Calculus last quarter. The whole epsilon/delta nonsense.
Don't take real analysis. Epilson and delta pop up everywhere.

I wasn't planning on taking analysis. Just finishing up my one-variable calc sequence this Wednesday with the final, then taking a multi-variable calc (not proof-based) for a possible Chem major. If multi-variable is ridiculously hard for me, then I'll just stick with a biology major.

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Imdmn04

Well, techhically you would have to know something about the topology of the real numbers before that would really make much sense.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: FleshLight
I like having to do things in 8 or 9 steps when I can just use the power rule..

*tried to keep a straight face*

It actually puts the whole concept into perspective and helps you later on in higher level maths when you come back to them again*

*bursts out laughing*

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Something like lim x->0 of f(x+h) - f(x), all over (x+h), or something like that. Been a long time since I've taken a derivative of anything.

Aug 25, 2004
I was taught much better in school than in college. Then again, I skipped Calc I and II in college and I can't remember what calc III was about.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: eakers
yes

LOL same here - it wasn't much fun solving relatively simple integrals using limits only... lots of writing involved :thumbsdown:

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Random Variable
Originally posted by: Imdmn04

Well, techhically you would have to know something about the topology of the real numbers before that would really make much sense.

Maybe he read about it in that first chapter, but it was unlikely a thorough treatment of the material. The intro to topology in Rudin gives a nice amount of knowledge before diving in to differentiation and integration.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Hell if I remember. I took calc 1 in High school and Calc 2 my first semester in college. 6 years later I can't even remember the derivative of X^2.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Riverhound777
Hell if I remember. I took calc 1 in High school and Calc 2 my first semester in college. 6 years later I can't even remember the derivative of X^2.

2X

and i am hating calc 1 right now. Our prof is a grad student who is absolutely horrible at conveying anything. The class average on our first test (100+ people) was a 25/100. I Plan on taking Calc 2 over the summer and going straight to calc 3 in the fall. i figured i may as well do them all in a row....