Were you a natural or Caesarean birth? Interesting article on human evolution follows ...

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
The subject of natural vice non-natural (Caesarean) births has fascinated me for a long time. Prior to 100 years ago there were no Caesarean births as this is a relative new procedure in human history. Fast forward to today and I hit paydirt on the subject:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38210837

The bottom-line conclusion for this article is that human evolution is being affected via Caesarean births:

"Without modern medical intervention such problems often were lethal and this is, from an evolutionary perspective, selection.

Women with a very narrow pelvis would not have survived birth 100 years ago. They do now and pass on their genes encoding for a narrow pelvis to their daughters."

Interesting ...

Your thoughts?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Next time civilization takes a powder there is going to be a whole lot a pain. Que the Queen song.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Humans have really transcended evolution. There's more social/economical pressures on humans than genetic. Before any of this can make much of a difference, which would be tens of thousands of years, we will have cracked DNA editing.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Been around since BC times so hardly a new procedure other than the mother surviving the procedure in modern times. More fascinating is Romans actually did cataract surgery, that one boggle the mind.

Nov 8, 2012
Of all the skinny women with narrow pelvis', I would take a guess that those that have this problem the worst might lean more towards an Asian descent? Asians also statistically have a higher IQ, soooo this sounds like a good thing?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Without modern medicine people would still die earlier and population wouldn't be so out of control - jobs wouldn't be so difficult to find, etc. :D

And because of a lower population, we'd also have smaller chances for technological breakthroughs enriching our lives.