Went on a bike ride this weekend....

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
And I got a big side flat on my tires. (I hate side flats) :Q :( They were nice tires too.

I butted the inside of the tire but the slash was too large so I ended up using a plastic tinfoil wrapper from an energy bar to butt it. It seems to be working, but I don't know how long that seal will hold.

Recommend me some tires.

I only blew out the front tire (It is Continental Attack/Force combo) 22mm.
I will probably only buy a new front though and I only want to spend around $30-40 if possible. It would be nice if it was available cheaper on ebay too.

**EDIT**
Oh BTW, performance and speed is important to me, so gatorskins or armidillo 25+mm tires is not an option.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I wish I could take my bike out to the lake or a trail. I have yet to take it out all summer. It's been hot and extremely humid this year here in Maryland.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I now only use Specialized Armadillo tires on my road bikes. The roads around me are lousy (lots of debris, glass, other junk) and I've gotten no flats on them, which is not something I can say for other tires. No flats is good enough for me. They're probably not the lightest tires, but since my racing days are long since past, I don't care so much about being a gram-counter anymore.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I wish I could take my bike out to the lake or a trail. I have yet to take it out all summer. It's been hot and extremely humid this year here in Maryland.

So? Just drink more water. It's never too hot to ride.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Mursilis

Easier said than done. The humidty has been ridiculous here this year. Everyone has been trying to stay indoors as much as possible.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Easier said than done. The humidty has been ridiculous here this year. Everyone has been trying to stay indoors as much as possible.

Seriously, I'm just south of you (in Virginia), so we're probably experiencing the same temps and humidity. Yesterday, I left the house ~1:30 and did 29 miles.

(And felt like I was going to die at the end, but that's beside the point! ;))

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
I just got a flat in my road bike as well... was bout 10 miles out of town and the tire just went down :(

Farthest I've done for the season was a 32 mile bike ride...

And yes, there is such a thing as it being too hot. I usually carry a backpack with a lot of water (usually 4 or 5 32 oz bottles of water) and I still find it very very hard to ride in some of this humidity (I live in Minnesota, where it can get humid as hell.)

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

Seriously, I'm just south of you (in Virginia), so we're probably experiencing the same temps and humidity. Yesterday, I left the house ~1:30 and did 29 miles.

29 miles??!!!! Jesus Joseph Sean Paul Mary! Is it a mountain bike? Until it gets cooler round here, with less humidity, I'll stick with my air condition and circulated gym. :p

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000

That shouldn't stop you. I live in Houston and I road in the really hot weather both days this weekend. And I lived in North VA for a long time and the humidity there is nothing compared to Houston.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

29 miles??!!!! Jesus Joseph Sean Paul Mary! Is it a mountain bike? Until it gets cooler round here, with less humidity, I'll stick with my air condition and circulated gym. :p

No, road bike. I figure if those Tour riders can ride those epic mountain stages in 90+ heat, I can do 20-30 miles.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Paulson
And yes, there is such a thing as it being too hot. I usually carry a backpack with a lot of water (usually 4 or 5 32 oz bottles of water) and I still find it very very hard to ride in some of this humidity (I live in Minnesota, where it can get humid as hell.)
I need to get a new water bottle for my cage since I lost the old one. I went out last Thursday and it wasn't even hot (~88) but I got pretty dry. I have an 8+1 pack from paintball that 20oz bottles of water fit great in, but I think I'd get some strange looks riding with a camo pack on :).

I wear an Under Armor heat gear shirt when I ride and it's nice because I don't notice it being hot at all. The humidity is what I really notice. My ride tomorrow should be interesting, 92 degrees and something like 60-70% humidity they're saying.

UTmtnbiker

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
I too had a sidewall cut on a tire this week, along with 2 flats on the same ride....needless to say...a sucky ride. Replaced my stock Specialized Mondo with Michelin ProRace 2's.

Michelin ProRace 2's from probikekit.com - about $27 including credit card conversion fees, and they're faster than Performance or Nashbar in getting stuff to you even though they're located in the UK. Great tires for a dirt cheap price considering if you go to a LBS, they'll be around $50/tire.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: DaShen
**EDIT**
Oh BTW, performance and speed is important to me, so gatorskins or armidillo 25+mm tires is not an option.

Yes, but really, how much of a difference does 3mm really make? I don't know, but I'd bet it's probably minimal. Either way, I do know changing flats on the road sucks, and I've done it countless times. Besides, don't most Euro-pros run 23-25mm tires anyway - something about more rubber for cornering, and slightly more cushion for those 100+ mile days in the saddle?

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
No, road bike. I figure if those Tour riders can ride those epic mountain stages in 90+ heat, I can do 20-30 miles.

QFT... Tour riders and regular riders ride 70-100+ miles normally. Tour riders ride stage and stage, day after day for about a hundred miles a day.

Yesterdays tour ride, the 5 leaders in the peloton, 3 out of the 5 got in serious accidents because the heat of the road melted their tires and on a sharp corner 3 bicyclist skidded out over the guardrail on the hill stage. 2 of them are out of the tour with compound fractures.

ANYWAYS, can anyone suggests a Tire?

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
**EDIT**

Yes, but really, how much of a difference does 3mm really make? I don't know, but I'd bet it's probably minimal. Either way, I do know changing flats on the road sucks, and I've done it countless times. Besides, don't most Euro-pros run 23-25mm tires anyway - something about more rubber for cornering, and slightly more cushion for those 100+ mile days in the saddle?

You would be surprised at how much 3mm makes on a 60+ mile ride. It could be the difference of 1-2 mph and a lot of energy saved. Also, I have found that on my nice tires, my sprints have been incredibly zippy. Seriously, tyou should try it out.

Originally posted by: UTmtnbiker
I too had a sidewall cut on a tire this week, along with 2 flats on the same ride....needless to say...a sucky ride. Replaced my stock Specialized Mondo with Michelin ProRace 2's.

Michelin ProRace 2's from probikekit.com - about $27 including credit card conversion fees, and they're faster than Performance or Nashbar in getting stuff to you even though they're located in the UK. Great tires for a dirt cheap price considering if you go to a LBS, they'll be around $50/tire.

Thanks. And specs on the Michelin ProRace 2's?

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

QFT... Tour riders and regular riders ride 70-100+ miles normally. Tour riders ride stage and stage, day after day for about a hundred miles a day.

Yesterdays tour ride, the 5 leaders in the peloton, 3 out of the 5 got in serious accidents because the heat of the road melted their tires and on a sharp corner 3 bicyclist skidded out over the guardrail on the hill stage. 2 of them are out of the tour with compound fractures.

ANYWAYS, can anyone suggests a Tire?

To go off on another tangent . . .
I went across the pond in '01 to follow (and ride part of the route) Le Tour, and it was hot as blazes that year in the Pyrennes. I got tons of flats that trip from the rim heating up (combination of heat from atmosphere and heat from hard braking going down those mountains) and blowing the tubes. But it was a great trip. If you ever get the chance, go over there to see the Tour in person, and take your bike. Until you've ridden some of those legendary climbs, you can't really appreciate just how tough those guys are.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

You would be surprised at how much 3mm makes on a 60+ mile ride. It could be the difference of 1-2 mph and a lot of energy saved. Also, I have found that on my nice tires, my sprints have been incredibly zippy. Seriously, tyou should try it out.

Perhaps I'm not as 'sensitive' to my ride as others (I've ridden steel, aluminum, and carbon, and never noticed a huge difference between any of 'em), but I never noticed a difference between tires. Michelin used to make a tire that was 19mm(!) and I mounted those front and rear on my race bike back when I raced, but it never seemed zippier than any other. But to each his own.

KoolAidKid

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2002

I'm going to disagree with you on that one. I went biking this past Saturday here in South Carolina. The high was 100 degrees, and humidity was about 80%. I was drinking water every mile and still felt like I was going to pass out.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
I went across the pond in '01 to follow (and ride part of the route) Le Tour, and it was hot as blazes that year in the Pyrennes. I got tons of flats that trip from the rim heating up (combination of heat from atmosphere and heat from hard braking going down those mountains) and blowing the tubes. But it was a great trip. If you ever get the chance, go over there to see the Tour in person, and take your bike. Until you've ridden some of those legendary climbs, you can't really appreciate just how tough those guys are.

I plan on doing that in 3-4 years.

Originally posted by: KoolAidKid

I'm going to disagree with you on that one. I went biking this past Saturday here in South Carolina. The high was 100 degrees, and humidity was about 80%. I was drinking water every mile and still felt like I was going to pass out.

Can't stand the heat? ;) 100 degrees is pretty high though, but was it really that hot the whole time you were riding?

I have ridden in heat like that. the best thing you can do is fill up a camelback with ice cold water (stick your pack in the freezer for about 5 hours).

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000

Perhaps I'm not as 'sensitive' to my ride as others (I've ridden steel, aluminum, and carbon, and never noticed a huge difference between any of 'em), but I never noticed a difference between tires. Michelin used to make a tire that was 19mm(!) and I mounted those front and rear on my race bike back when I raced, but it never seemed zippier than any other. But to each his own.

Meh. I went from mountain bikes, than riding a mountain bike on the road (30+ lbs), to a road bike with old wheels and tires (24 lbs exact), to the same road bike but upgraded with new wheels and tires (22.5 about), to a new bike with upgraded everything (sub 17). I felt the difference at every upgrade (weight does make a big difference over the long haul).

BTW, what did you race? Long endurance rides, or crits?

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

I used Graham Baxter Sporting Tours (UK-based). Google 'em - they've got a great website, and lots of tour options. They also do the Giro and Veulta, some of the Classics, etc. They're not the most luxurious tour provider (unlike Velosport and some of the US-based ones), but the accomodations were decent enough, and my brother and I were able to do a 14-day trip with the money we saved - got to see all the big stages in both the Pyrennes and Alps. Trip of a lifetime.

UTmtnbiker

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
I'd say this is one of the top 2 tires for performance, rolling resistance, and traction out there.

I liked the Specialized Mondo's but I'd definately ride this and the Conti 4000's as my 2 training and race tires over pretty much anythign else on the market.

Take a look at probikekit as they rate the tires based on 5 point criteria. This gets a 4 or 5 on everything except for cost of tire.

**EDIT**

Originally posted by: UTmtnbiker

Thanks. And specs on the Michelin ProRace 2's?

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Meh. I went from mountain bikes, than riding a mountain bike on the road (30+ lbs), to a road bike with old wheels and tires (24 lbs exact), to the same road bike but upgraded with new wheels and tires (22.5 about), to a new bike with upgraded everything (sub 17). I felt the difference at every upgrade (weight does make a big difference over the long haul).

BTW, what did you race? Long endurance rides, or crits?

A little of everything - even some MTB races. But I was never higher than a Cat. 4. Unfortunately, there's no place in racing for the 'casual' rider - to race, you've got to be hardcore, or forget about it. With a job, house, 4 kids, etc., I've got no time to train 2+ hours a day. But I still ride when I can.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000

I used Graham Watson Sporting Tours (UK-based). Google 'em - they've got a great website, and lots of tour options. They also do the Giro and Veulta, some of the Classics, etc. They're not the most luxurious tour provider (unlike Velosport and some of the US-based ones), but the accomodations were decent enough, and my brother and I were able to do a 14-day trip with the money we saved - got to see all the big stages in both the Pyrennes and Alps. Trip of a lifetime.

I will definitely check it out, I have been looking at Velosports with a friend of mine. I am all up for just renting a touring bike and sleeping in tents, but my friends would never go for that. pLus security wise, that isn't the safest option.

Graham Watson Sporting Tours, hwo much would it cost if you don't mind me asking?