Went insane today...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AbsolutZero

Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by: blakeatwork
Originally posted by: idNut
I was sitting in tenth period today and I just totally lost it. I blacked out and when I came back into reality I started clenching my fists, I had intense anxiety, lost all hope of anything and just wanted to jump out the window. I think school is affecting my life too dramatically and I don't know what to do about it. I hate being there and every little thing drives me off the deep end. I haven't slept for a while because of the insomnia, I can't focus on homework, and I am completely numb from everything. I don't know what the fvck is wrong anymore. I hate math, chemistry, social studies, art, and even my computer applications class.

I think I'm becoming a complete recluse, school is the only place I go during the week and one day at work which I also hate. It's a pretty cool job so says my "friends" since it's detailing cars and I can work at my own pace but I'd rather be at home doing nothing. I just don't care about anything anymore, my future, family, friends, or existence. I don't see anything getting better.

Here's an idea... let's pretend that you're a normal human being, not one a "cynic", not a "tortured soul" or any of that other crap that you kids come up with these days to latch onto as an excuse.... christ, you've had everything positioned to be handed to you, and you just shrug and say "oh well", and then bitch when things don't go your own way.,..

Grow up, and quit developing a designer condition to justify your apathy... nobody cares anyways right?

You are a complete and total a$$! :|

Sounds like someone calling for help, to me, not some over-rightous crap from a 21 year old know-it-all.

Anyway, idNut, when did these feelings start? Do you have someone you're close to (family member or friend) who you can talk to? Communication is essential when you have those feelings, it can lead to much worse if you let it. :(

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
In all seriousness it sounds like major depression. I suggest you talk to a psychologist/psychiatrist ASAP. Here are some quizzes that may give you an idea if it's depression (though they are no replacement for talking to a real psychologist).

Paxil...Xanax.

IMO Lexapro is better. :p

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I'm in High School and that is how I feel, I feel caged with High School.

It's not laziness because God knows I do things for people all the time but I just don't like being away from my house.

high school is ass.
finish that sh!t and move on... i hated it too... QUITE ALOT.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: rbloedow
I'm in High School and that is how I feel, I feel caged with High School. It's not laziness because God knows I do things for people all the time but I just don't like being away from my house.

It's just a control issue - you want to be able to do what you want to do and you you want to do it now. Don't worry, everyone goes throught it, you just need to find a purpose in life.

bullcrap! what he "needs" is to just finish puberty and grow up. Theres a lot of stuff that people dont enjoy, but they do it! And they do it day after day after day. The smart ones figure a way to make life better, but the dumb ones give up.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I was sitting in tenth period today and I just totally lost it. I blacked out and when I came back into reality I started clenching my fists, I had intense anxiety, lost all hope of anything and just wanted to jump out the window. I think school is affecting my life too dramatically and I don't know what to do about it. I hate being there and every little thing drives me off the deep end. I haven't slept for a while because of the insomnia, I can't focus on homework, and I am completely numb from everything. I don't know what the fvck is wrong anymore. I hate math, chemistry, social studies, art, and even my computer applications class.

I think I'm becoming a complete recluse, school is the only place I go during the week and one day at work which I also hate. It's a pretty cool job so says my "friends" since it's detailing cars and I can work at my own pace but I'd rather be at home doing nothing. I just don't care about anything anymore, my future, family, friends, or existence. I don't see anything getting better.

Go to a doctor. Sounds like you've got mental problems and need help.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
You hate school? Well if you're not in school, what else are you going to do to kill time? Don't tell me you want to go out and get some minimum wage job so that you can pay for a nice ride.

It drove a lot of us mad but we all stuck around.

lilFajita

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
Idnut- there is no way around it, that sounds like a serious problem. PLEASE go and talk to a doctor or conselor about this. Regardless of some of the cynics here, no one wants you to do something dangerous or extreme when you go into an episode like the one you described.

High School can be very frustrating. Talking it out with someone who is qualified will be of great help, because they can give you a plan to focus on finding direction and things that challenge and interest you.

Balance is so important in life. Unfortunetly, we all find ourselves doing things that we don't want to do for some other purpose (to get into college or to get a good job...), but if you can focus your energy to find a good balance, then you will still be able to do things that you enjoy. Being the person you are and doing the things you want is equally important to doing the things you "have" to do.

edit: I really hope you feel better :(

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: tweakmm
Arthur felt happy. He was terribly pleased that the day was for once working out so much according to plan. Only twenty minutes ago he had decided he would go mad, and now here he was already chasing a Chesterfield sofa across the fields of prehistoric Earth.

LMAO! Nice....

Oh yeah. The hormone attacks will cease once you complete puberty. Grow up. It gets WORSE once you enter the real world and have to bend over daily w/o the benefit of Vaseline b/c you have a kid to support and bills to pay. :| Enjoy your time now, you "poor misunderstood, overworked and unloved" kid. :p

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
AGORAPHOBIA

The term agoraphobia has been widely misunderstood. Its literal definition suggests a fear of "open spaces". However, this is an incomplete and misleading view. Agoraphobics are not necessarily afraid of open spaces. Rather, they are afraid of having panicky feelings, wherever. these fearful feelings may occur. For many, they happen at home, in houses of worship, or in crowded supermarkets, places that are certainly not "open".

In fact, agoraphobia is a condition which develops when a person begins to avoid spaces or situations associated with anxiety. Typical "phobic situations" might include driving, shopping, crowded places, traveling, standing in line, being alone, meetings and social gatherings.

Agoraphobia arises; from an internal anxiety condition that has become so intense that the suffering individual fears going anywhere or doing anything where these feelings of panic have repeatedly occurred before. Once the panic attacks have started, these episodes become the ongoing stress, even when other more obvious pressures have diminished. This sets up a "feedback condition" which generally leads to increased numbers of panic attacks and, for some people, an increase in the situations or events which can produce panicky feelings. Others experience fearful feelings continuously, more a feeling of overall. discomfort, rather than panic.

A person may fear having anxiety attacks, "losing control", or embarrassing him/herself in such situations. Many people remain in a painful state of anxious anticipation because of these fears. Some become restricted or "housebound" while others function "normally" but with great difficulty, often attempting to hide their discomfort.

Agoraphobia, then, is both a severe anxiety condition and a phobia, as well as a pattern of avoidant behavior.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I can see where you might think he's got Agoraphobia...the shortness of breath, blackouts, etc. BUT, he talks so much about how he doesn't want to go to school, only wants to watch movies, play games, he hates everyone...sounds like a typical slacker youth to me.
rolleye.gif

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
find something to live for, something you absolutely love doing... force yourself to go and do the things you don't want to do (i.e. school) and you will become a better person for it.

feeling sorry for yourself and becoming deppressed is natural, but you need to catch yourself and force yourself to work harder

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: MichaelD
I can see where you might think he's got Agoraphobia...the shortness of breath, blackouts, etc. BUT, he talks so much about how he doesn't want to go to school, only wants to watch movies, play games, he hates everyone...sounds like a typical slacker youth to me.
rolleye.gif
More like thats all he does because he is in the house all the time.

Sounds like panic/anxiety attacks at least...

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Just a little aside here: anyone else ever notice that we have 100,000 members, and somehow it doesn't seem that a damn one of em is a doctor? Kinda strange, we seem to have every other profession here, and lots of people who think they're doctors (;)) but that's about it.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I was sitting in tenth period today and I just totally lost it..

Perhaps we're not looking in the right place for the root of the problem; when I was in high school, we only had six periods. Admittedly, for me high school ended seventeen years ago, but given that human nature does not change all that much over the course of a mere seventeen years, I can only come to two possible conclusions: Kids spend far more time per day in high school, or the given amount of time per class has dropped almost in half. If the former, then you're burned out because all you do is go to school; mathematically, there's not much time for other activity besides sleep. If the latter, then you're slowly becoming schizophrenic because you're constantly being exposed to different subjects, yet not having any time to slow down and focus on any of them.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Of all the people telling you to get medicine and go see a shrink, here comes the voice of reason: get over it. I am not trying to be an asshole, but we've all been there man, and whining about it is not going to help. In case you weren't informed, life sucks all the time, there is no higher ground, the next chunk of your life will be spent working long hard days, so just buck up and get used to it. Also, if you are in high school and you think it's driving you insane, don't bother with college.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
Of all the people telling you to get medicine and go see a shrink, here comes the voice of reason: get over it. I am not trying to be an asshole, but we've all been there man, and whining about it is not going to help. In case you weren't informed, life sucks all the time, there is no higher ground, the next chunk of your life will be spent working long hard days, so just buck up and get used to it. Also, if you are in high school and you think it's driving you insane, don't bother with college.

Words from a truely wise young man.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

That would be a nervous breakdown... now that I actually took the time to read your post. Go outside and enjoy the sunshine.

...and start drinking.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
This stress you're feeling? It's just an appetizer compared to what awaits in the years ahead. Learn to deal with it and make the most of what advantages you have.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: blakeatwork

Here's an idea... let's pretend that you're a normal human being, not one a "cynic", not a "tortured soul" or any of that other crap that you kids come up with these days to latch onto as an excuse.... christ, you've had everything positioned to be handed to you, and you just shrug and say "oh well", and then bitch when things don't go your own way.,..

Grow up, and quit developing a designer condition to justify your apathy... nobody cares anyways right?

:Q! haha

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Hamburgerpimp
I was going to suggest some drugs, but you should wait for college when you really need them.

isnt that the truth