Went Fishing yesterday, Took the family

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
Went to Hiawassee GA to go fishing, about a 2 hour drive. Went to Upper Hightower Rainbow Trout Farm.

Smallest fish we caught was a 2 pounder. Largest was a 4. My 5 year old son, Sean caught the biggest fish, which almost took him for a swim. We caught rainbow trout. Those things put up a huge fight, and he thought he had a whale.

The owners of the farm are really nice, and make your trip fun. They bait the hook for you, and we used every thing from corn, to worms, to lures to maggots. We had a blast.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Sounds like fun. My sons and I fish on Lanier but I should probably take them some place like that and let them get a different experience. My three-year-old in particular is super excited about fishing, so I think he would get a real kick out of catching something that big.

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
The owner actually had Sean saying, Here fishy fishy, come eat my wormy wormy on my hooky hooky.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Corn is illegal as bait for trout. At least around here.

But I love fishing for trout. They fight good. Try salmon too.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I went fishing off my kayak yesterday in a place called 'Andrew Molera State Park' off the Big Sur coast in California. Beautiful scenery and great fishing about a mile out. Mostly rockfish were caught however.
My friends went fishing for Salmon on their yaks yesterday in Moss Landing Calif. The whales are in very close to the shore and were literally yards away from the kayaks. They would submerge underneath the kayaks and the boat would bounce around with the water displacement.
Here's a pic taken from a kayak a couple weeks ago. Text

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Sounds like fun! But, now, you ruined it for your kids - if you take them somewhere where they catch huge bluegill/pumpkinseeds/sunfish one right after another, they're not going to be satisfied. :p

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
Originally posted by: OdiN

And why is that?

probably have to do with california, everything is illegal over there. :p

Anyways, was just up at hiawassee a couple weekends ago, wife dragged my ass to a concert at the geogia mountain fairgrounds. Beautiful country up there.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Ulfwald
Went to Hiawassee GA to go fishing, about a 2 hour drive. Went to Upper Hightower Rainbow Trout Farm.

Smallest fish we caught was a 2 pounder. Largest was a 4. My 5 year old son, Sean caught the biggest fish, which almost took him for a swim. We caught rainbow trout. Those things put up a huge fight, and he thought he had a whale.

The owners of the farm are really nice, and make your trip fun. They bait the hook for you, and we used every thing from corn, to worms, to lures to maggots. We had a blast.

Do you get to keep the fish?

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
Yes we get to keep the fish, as a matter of fact you have to keep them because trout are so easily damaged. We came home with 13 lb of trout at $5.00 per lb. Little expensive, but worth it.

Sean came to my room this morning and had his fishing hat on and asked if we could go this morning. :D

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: OdiN

But I love fishing for trout. They fight good. Try salmon too.

It's illegal here too. But Ulfwald was on a fish farm, so anything goes!