Went and test drove some cars last weekend.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
We have 3 Elantras in the family... 2005 EGT hatch (mine), 2005 EGT hatch (Dad), 2006 EGT hatch (Mom). I love my car to death. The hatch is extremely useful, the car is reasonably fast, quiet, and reliable. Gas mileage is quite good too, I get ~25MPG in city traffic. I got mine in March of 2005 and have put 10K on it since then, no major issues so far.

Elantra invasion!

From left to right: 2005 (mine), 2005 (Dad), 2006 (Mom)

:D

Dave

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Go for it. The reliability should be great and the price can't be beat (although I'd definitely try to get a better price elsewhere).

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I'd sent out the line on three other dealers in the area this morning. Only one came back with an offer of $13,995 so far. (about the same as I already have...but not better) I'm just going to reiterate the deal I already have been offered and politely decline that one.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Aflac
Originally posted by: PingSpike
:thumbsup: That's a great price for a nice car. The warranty is a nice bonus too.

The warranty is actually a main selling point for me.

I suppose. But, if you look at it another way...

If the car is excellent, you won't ever need to use the warranty. :D

This is coming from a '96 corolla driver, so my viewpoint might be different. We've never had a single problem with our car, save for a fast blinker thing.

everytime that's happened to me (several) it's just been a blown fuse - same with the toyota?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Update:
Called around a few places. The initial offer he made us was pretty good. I had another dealership make me an offer of $13,500 and the original counter offered $13,600. I decided to go with the original guy because I liked the way they handled their business and I felt he was always being upfront with me. The guy from the other dealership was understandably aggressive and wanted us to make a commitment really quick. So we're going to go put some money down on it tonight.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus
:thumbsup: That's a great price for a nice car. The warranty is a nice bonus too.

The warranty is actually a main selling point for me.

I suppose. But, if you look at it another way...

If the car is excellent, you won't ever need to use the warranty. :D

This is coming from a '96 corolla driver, so my viewpoint might be different. We've never had a single problem with our car, save for a fast blinker thing.

everytime that's happened to me (several) it's just been a blown fuse - same with the toyota?

Not really sure, it happened when I was a lot younger and didn't care about the car. My parents got it fixed pretty quickly so I'm guessing it didn't cost too much.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
I've never been in a Hyundai before, but I see the new Sonata all over the place and love it every time I see it, especially in black. It'd be nice if you could wait till the 07 Elantras come out since I think it'll be getting a redesign then and the current ones are kind of plain looking, but if you're not too into that anyway then just go for it now, I'm sure it's a great car.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: archcommus
I've never been in a Hyundai before, but I see the new Sonata all over the place and love it every time I see it, especially in black. It'd be nice if you could wait till the 07 Elantras come out since I think it'll be getting a redesign then and the current ones are kind of plain looking, but if you're not too into that anyway then just go for it now, I'm sure it's a great car.

Yeah, the new ones are suppose to be nice but I shy away from redesigns at least on the first year for a couple reasons: They're usually more expensive, and definately more popular...so dealers aren't trying to move them as aggressively. And redesigns always have a bunch of bugs that need to get worked out. I prefer to buy at the end of the cycle since thats usually about as perfected as they are going to get.

The sonata is a beautiful car though, I really like the look of it. Its out of our pricerange though.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003

Yeah, the new ones are suppose to be nice but I shy away from redesigns at least on the first year for a couple reasons: They're usually more expensive, and definately more popular...so dealers aren't trying to move them as aggressively. And redesigns always have a bunch of bugs that need to get worked out. I prefer to buy at the end of the cycle since thats usually about as perfected as they are going to get.

The sonata is a beautiful car though, I really like the look of it. Its out of our pricerange though.
Sounds like your decision is made, then.

However how can you pass up this. Is that not an awesome looking compact car.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

Its nice. Not saying it isn't. But my wife drives a rusted out 94 prizm. Anything is a step up from that! And every little bit of money we save is a little bit we can put towards eventually buying a house...or a x1900xt.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003

Its nice. Not saying it isn't. But my wife drives a rusted out 94 prizm. Anything is a step up from that! And every little bit of money we save is a little bit we can put towards eventually buying a house...or a x1900xt.
:laugh:

I fully understand then!

Post pics when you get it!

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Update:
Finished all the paperwork, etc. Went over and picked it up last night. Tried to upsell me some of their services, which a few of them tempted me. $1100 the would extend the bumper to bumper and roadside assistance to 10 years from 5. Was kind of tempting, since I'd be surprised if any car didn't require at least $1100 of (non powertrain) work in the second 5 years.

Offered some wheel protection thing which didn't sound like that great of a value. $300 and they'd replace a wheel and tire free of charge if you drove it into a hole. Since I never damaged the rims on any of the cars I've driven in my lifetime, and the steel rims on our elantra cost about $70 it didn't seem worthwhile, and he said as much.

My wife made him jump through a bunch of hoops at the last minute over what she thought was a scratch on the windshield. It was just some left over wax that turned out to be pretty hard to get off.

Not much else...first oil change is free at dealer and he says he'll top of the tank of gas if we give him a good survey review. Free gas is free gas.