Wells Fargo lock up mentally disabled man

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/20/BUGK2N2M051.DTL

San Jose resident Steven Chesser, like so many of us, receives checks in the mail from people who claim he's just won a lottery or sweepstakes. Unlike most of us, though, he can't tell they're fake.

And for that reason, he's spent the entire holiday season in the Santa Clara County Jail.

Chesser, who is 51 but, according to his father, has the mind of a 12-year-old, isn't sure why he's locked up. He told his dad that, as best as he can figure, it's because he opened a bank account.

In fact, Chesser's mistake was thinking that if you receive checks in the mail, and if you take those checks to a bank, and if that bank gives you money, then everything must be all right.

But it wasn't.

In any case, the date of Chesser's first court appearance arrived in August, and his father said Chesser locked himself in his room and refused to come out. His father went without him. A warrant was issued for Chesser's arrest.

Sheriff's deputies arrived at the house on Nov. 1 and took Chesser into custody. He's been in jail ever since.

Bail was set at $10,000, but William Chesser said he's decided not to pay it because of the danger that his son might disappear again.

"If he gets out, it's possible I wouldn't be able to get him back to court," William Chesser said. "That would make things even worse."

And so Steven Chesser has spent Thanksgiving and the entire holiday season behind bars -- all because con artists targeted him with their scams.

"He's going to be spending Christmas in jail," his mother said, her voice catching. "I feel so sorry for him."

Nearly two months of incarceration hasn't been good for Steven's condition, his parents observed.

"When I saw him in jail, he said the walls were talking to him," Mary Chesser recalled.

William Chesser had a similar impression. "He's been talking to imaginary people," he said. "When I visited him, we were speaking on the phone from two sides of a glass window. Steven would hold up the phone so an imaginary person could hear what I was saying.

"I asked him if he knew why he was there," the father continued. "He said it was for opening an account at Wells Fargo.

"I asked if he knew the checks were no good. He said they'd come in the mail and were addressed to him, so they must be good. He doesn't understand how a check can be bad."

Wells Fargo's Hammond said holds are routinely placed on checks so that banks can determine that funds are available. But he said a portion of the deposited amount may still be made available right away "at the customer's request."

"Customers are advised not to spend funds until the item has cleared," Hammond said. "They are responsible for the authenticity of the item. In a situation when funds are not available or the item negotiated is found to be fraudulent, the customer is responsible for the amount the bank has distributed to the customer."

Chesser's father said he received a letter from his son recently, asking that he be let out of jail.

"It's very sad," he said. "It's hard to understand why this is happening."

Aug 23, 2000
Ahh, the absolutes of the law. Why the fark in todays day and age can the bank not tell if a check is good or not. I can swipe my debit card at walmart and by the time I get home I can look at my account and there's the charge. So it's gone from Walmart, to Mastercard then to my bank all in the matter of minutes. Why can't banks (that run the checks through the thing that reads the magnetically encoded numbers do the exact same thing?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
poor guy. but i don't fault the bank or the police.

what are they to do? jet him open accounts and spend the money? but not sure jail is t he right place for him either.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy
but not sure jail is t he right place for him either.

Ya think?

It's 2006 and a bank can't tell within a few minutes whether a check is any good? The whole situation is a joke. The dad should get a lock on the mailbox, and the bank should go after the scammers instead of some retarded guy. Oh, and if the guy is hearing freakin' voices maybe he should be on meds or something.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: dainthomas
Originally posted by: waggy
but not sure jail is t he right place for him either.

Ya think?

It's 2006 and a bank can't tell within a few minutes whether a check is any good? The whole situation is a joke. The dad should get a lock on the mailbox, and the bank should go after the scammers instead of some retarded guy. Oh, and if the guy is hearing freakin' voices maybe he should be on meds or something.

the guy is 51. i doubt lives at home anyway.

so its not like youc an lock the mailbox and keep him from getting mail or stuff.

i agree he may need meds