Well, WiC is being released today,

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
wife is picking it up for me at Bestbuy (pricematch to CC less $5 rewards bucks). I hope it's worth the $34 I'm paying for it.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
im gonna go pick it up after im done drinking my coffee. It's been getting really good reviews and I really enjoyed both the beta and demo. As long as the storyline holds up, I'll be more than satisfied with it.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Whats WiC? World in Command?

Throw a bone to someone who doesn't know all the acronyms.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
About to head over to Best Buy and pick up a collectors edition. Been waiting for this game since last Winter when I first heard about it.

Grabbed the collectors edition. Cant wait to get my game on tonight :D

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
It comes with a "Free 10 day trial edition" disk which i assume is a 10 day trial of all the multiplayer options (not the demo), so bum it off someone u know is going to get it.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
WTF I would have to say you guys are lucky, in my parts we don't get releases on release day.

Since Fry's cancelled my pre-order for no apparent reason I will be picking my copy up tomorrow.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I'm surprised there haven't been more threads here about the game. It looks good, the video for it was great, and the reviews for it so far are outstanding.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Cabages
So is this kinda like Company of Heroes? Or more like Command and Conquer?

Definitely CoH, but you really can't make that direct comparison either. You control a small number of units and you accumulate points used to purchase reinforcements.

There are no base structures, no resource gathering, it's all tactical unit combat.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
WiC is geared towards multiplayer, if you do not like multiplayer then go with CoH. But WiC adds a very nice feel with WW3 and all, different then any other game i've played.

The 2 things i dislike most about WiC is that you can't tell infantry to hind behind a car, or in that crater, or in that rubble, CoH does this VERY well. The second is that if you zoom in close enough to see all the details, you get tunnel vision and will raped.

Simple way to figure out if you'll like WiC is to play the free 1.2 gig demo that has one single player mission and one multiplayer map, both with nothing left out (cept nato, but thats due to the maps).

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Multiplayer also requires much more teamwork than any RTS I've ever played.

You know if you play a 2v2 in CnC for example, your partner might stink yet you still might be able to pull out a win because you have access to all unit types and can build as many as your economy allows.

In WiC you are limited to choosing just armor or just air and it takes a good mix to win. You can purchase units outside of your chosen specialty but with a points penalty and you really won't have enough points to make that kind of strategy effective.

So in summary, if you are on a good team that works together, it's truly a great experience. But if you don't it can suck, bigtime.

Apr 17, 2005
how long are the MP games. what I dont like about most MP strategy games is that it takes forever to play one game. and how is the community so far?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
WiC is geared towards multiplayer, if you do not like multiplayer then go with CoH. But WiC adds a very nice feel with WW3 and all, different then any other game i've played.

The 2 things i dislike most about WiC is that you can't tell infantry to hind behind a car, or in that crater, or in that rubble, CoH does this VERY well. The second is that if you zoom in close enough to see all the details, you get tunnel vision and will raped.

Simple way to figure out if you'll like WiC is to play the free 1.2 gig demo that has one single player mission and one multiplayer map, both with nothing left out (cept nato, but thats due to the maps).

One thing I noticed is armor can take advantage of hull down positions. On farmland in the beta I used 2x heavies and 2x medium tanks in various hull down positions to wipe two entire waves of soviet tanks trying to traverse the stream near the airfield.
What got me, was of course heavy helicopters.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
multiplayer games always last 20 minutes (with a timer).

There are two flags on the top of the screen...USA and USSR. The team that is "dominating" the most will have their flag displayed on top. If you completely dominate the opposition, the match ends early...Otherwise the team in control of the most strategic points wins at 20:00

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I can say the single player game sucks, just a bunch of orders being barked at you from some moron.

I'll have to give Multi a try.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I played the demo last night, and came away impressed with the interface, graphics and polish...but found the gameplay, at least from a single player perspective, somewhat lacking...just another RTS game of shuffling armies across the map, taking objectives, knocking out enemy resistance and moving on to the next objective.

It does seem though that this game is ideal for multiplayer...given the gameplay dynamics for calling in reinforcements, and the lack of base building...this is definitely an ideal sandbox for some intense multiplay RTS action.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: xaeniac
I really like the single player..... I guess to each his/her own.

Me too. It's not mind blowing, but I've been having a lot of fun playing it. I just finished NYC so I think I'm pretty close to the end.