Well, we had an eventful afternoon......Flaming car and all!

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
My mom came over to pick me up this afternoon. We all decided to go to the store though. So, my mom, my aunt, myself, and my dog were in the car. On the way to the store, I noticed smoke coming from the hood and it smelled hot. We pulled into the store and I opened the hood. Guess what I found! FLAMES! I ran into the store and got a fire extinguisher (Before that, we made sure the dog was out of the car, of course.) and I put out the fire. Can you believe it? My mom had just gotten the car and it did that. It was kind of weird. I felt like I was in a movie or something. I'm just happy it didn't explode.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
:Q

What was burning?

Were the store people like.. "HEY! Thats our fire extinguisher! Come back here!"? lol..

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
OMG! I'm glad to hear everyone is OK. Is this a NEW car? You said your mom had "just gotten it..." Definitely a lemon, if you ask me. ;) If she just got it back from the repair shop, especially if they were working on the fuel system, I'd say a consult w/a lawyer is in order.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
:Q Glad you're okay.

PS: In general, it's not a good idea to open the hood on a burning car and try to put out the fire yourself. It just add oxygen to the flames. Best thing to do is get away from it and call the fire dept.

hzl eyed grl

Dec 28, 1999
Well, my mom is going to be taking care of my cousins. (Their dad, my cousin, took drugs and went crazy and had the kids taken away.) She's living with the kids now and needed a car. She hadn't had one for years, so my other cousin bought a car from someone. They had just had engine mounts put in and I'm not sure what else they did. The car is used, but new to her. We're not sure yet what was burning. It was in the back of the engine. It was just kind of spooky opening the hood and seeing flames. My aunt wouldn't touch the hood, so I had to open it. lol I didn't care. I knew it HAD to be opened so we could see if it was on fire or if it was just hot or something. I ran into the store (Those of you that know me, know that's a feat because I have HORRIBLE knees. LOL!!) and asked someone if they had something for a fire. My aunt saw the extinguisher and we said that our engine was on fire and they said we could use it. I certainly didn't want it to explode and hurt everyone and damage all the other cars. :Q

*Whew*

EDIT:

PS: In general, it's not a good idea to open the hood on a burning car and try to put out the fire yourself. It just add oxygen to the flames. Best thing to do is get away from it and call the fire dept.
I didn't know that, but we didn't know that it was on fire until I opened the hood.

hzl eyed grl

Dec 28, 1999
AFAIK the car is still at the store. I still don't know what caused the fire. :confused: