Well...time to throw my machine into the mix

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just thought I would say hello and let you all know I threw my new rig into the fray. Hopefully I can make some sort of difference. :) 100% CPU usage with huge work units. Go team Anandtech!

Rig is in profile

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Assimilator1
Welcome to TA :D

Hey is that the new Intel core 2? @3.2GHz that's sweet!:D awesome rig:cool:
How much cache does that have?
Oh ,I think you might have more than 2MB of RAM ;)

Btw this is the right link for your rig

lol...yeah, its 2 gigs...kinda rushed through filling it out :)

4mb cache btw. And the Core2 zooms...compared to my old 2.4 precott, its cooler and 200% faster easily.

trevinom

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Welcome to the team, fallen.

That's a SWEET rig.

200% faster than the Prescott...I never understood that term. Technically, you can't be more than 100% of anything. It's the ratio thing..more than 100...I ramble..

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: trevinom
Welcome to the team, fallen.

That's a SWEET rig.

200% faster than the Prescott...I never understood that term. Technically, you can't be more than 100% of anything. It's the ratio thing..more than 100...I ramble..

yeah when you think about it, it doesn't make sense...i think 200% faster is 4x faster since 100% faster would be a doubling of the speed...anyway, its much better than my old rig which has been donated to more needy people.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Welcome FallenHero!

It will be cool to see what that rig does to some of those big WUs.

I want one!

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
Originally posted by: GLeeM
Welcome FallenHero!

I want one!

me three!!!

Welcome to the team mate!

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: GLeeM
Welcome FallenHero!

I want one!

Right now I'm crunching 2 different WUs...about 500 frames apiece in approx 24 hours time...each. So...1000 frames in 24 hours?

It says its averaging 4m:37s/frame. Thats at 100% CPU utilization as well...currently hitting 49C under load. I suppose I could shut-down and try to overclock more, but the prime95 test would take too long...id rather crunch at the moment. :)

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Just wanted to make sure you are aware that different F@H WUs fold at different rates.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
How can you benchmark with F@H then?

F@H WUs are worth different amounts of points. A 100 point WU might finish in one day. A 200 point WU would finish in two days. The frame (or percent done) times would be different, so they fold at different rates.

And then there are bonus WUs worth double points. The bonus is given because of larger down/uploads and/or because they use more resources of your computer.

So it is hard to benchmark with F@H. The best way is probably to watch your points per day over a long time.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Does the client show the points being counted? if so maybe you could precisely count how long it took to do 10 points (assuming all points are equal)

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
Does the client show the pionts being counted? if so maybe you could precisely count how long it took tom do 10 points (assuming all points are equal)

well, if you use the graffical client you can divide the number of points in your WU by the time it takes to do a frame * number of frames = points/min :)

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Ah cool ,& the CLI?

There are monitoring programs that show points per day and/or hour for the recent percent finished.

Most of the stats sites show points per day besides other information.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
is a WU thats 1.5 days long considered a big work unit?
and how do i know if my gpu is working? it's just counting "Starting GUI Server: completed 1, completed 2... completed 70" since last night when i started.

Freewolf

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2001
It's working. It's counting the number of steps it has completed so far. Once it has completed the whole work unit it will send it in and download another one to work on.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
is there a way to check if the GPU statistics, something similar to "user statistics" in the CPU part?

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I've just finished a big WU and it literally took like 4-5 days.

I think it was 20,000 frames

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Hello LOUISSSSS :)

I was hoping that someone that knew for certain would answer you :roll:

I'm not excatly sure what you are looking for but:

Try looking in your folding directory for a file named - MyFolding.html - I think this is what opens with "user statistics" in the CPU part.

If you want to see if the client is doing something there is probably a file called - FAHlog.txt - in there too. This will show at the bottom a time stamp and something like Completed #. If the # increases after a while then it is working. (you have to close and reopen the txt file for it to update)