Well, this blows (aka "What might have been")

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
atot blog

In the mid to late 90's I worked as a programmer for a small telecommunications company in metro Atlanta. Basically, on the software side it was only me and my boss and maybe 2-3 contractors. I was just out of college, and while it seemed like a great entry level job, it didn't really feel like it was going anywhere. I left the company so I could move closer to home and help out with a family member who was having some personal issues. I didn't keep up with the company and lost contact with all the guys I knew there.

I was browsing around the internet today and found something disturbing.

Since the 90's, the company has exploded. It's now world-wide and an industry leader. If I had stuck it out, who knows... I might now be sitting on my own private beach in Dubai with supermodels feeding me grapes. I want to barf.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
lol! mean....but I was thinking the same thing. I was going to post: maybe it exploded because you were bringing them down!

It could very well be similar, but yet a different picture:
he did his job well, but the person/people who filled his position afterward were able to offer up a lot of innovated approaches that helped propel them further. Some people do a great job but don't offer much in the way of improvement/innovation, especially if the position is one that otherwise makes a person feel like they cannot change anything.

That, and it usually takes a decent bit of time for any small local/regional company to reach that mega-national/international level.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
I highly doubt you would have seen much of the big money unless you were a part owner or stock owner. Companies have a habit of keeping the money to themselves.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
everything happens for a reason.

what if you were on that beach in Dubai and got kidnapped for being an infidel? you'd have lost both arms and wouldn't have been able to write all those tales.

JJ650

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
everything happens for a reason.

what if you were on that beach in Dubai and got kidnapped for being an infidel? you'd have lost both arms and wouldn't have been able to write all those tales.

Speech to text!

Could have possibly cut out his tongue too.

Dec 26, 2007
Live and learn right?

Then again you could have been fired anyways later on for some other reason instead of leaving on your own...

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I had a similar situation about 15 years ago. Gf's mom says "hey i'm going to start a small coffee shop and do a franchise. It's called Starbucks. Do you went to help me start a few?" I guess at the time Starbucks was franchising out and offering 'coffee shop kits' of some sort.

I said no. Her mom started a few and is doing rather well.....

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
meh. the company could also have went under a year later. you can't predict the future. if you could, you could just as easily make a bundle from the stock market and retire to that beach.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
if it is any consolation, them private beaches in Dubai are washing away :biggrin:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Hindsight is 20-20

What you did was probably quite logical, and a lot of people get burned by not recognizing when to jump ship with a company. IMO it's probably better to do what you did and regret leaving, than be like thousands of others who regret staying.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Nah, you would be this guy:

office-space.png