Well that OC didn't go well...

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
I have been playing and fixing PCs for nearly 20 years, but I this was my first time trying to OC one. Just my luck, I get two steps out of the gate, and fall on my face! So, could you fine gentlemen tell me where I misstepped?

Optimal i7-930 Settings:
CPU freq: 2.8 Ghz
DDR3 freq:1600 Mhz
QPI: 4.8 GT/s

HT: enabled

QPI freq: auto
Memory Ratio: auto
XMP: enabled
cpu multiplier: 21

Blck: 133
Spread spectrum: enabled
PCI Freq: auto
PCI-E freq: 100
Turbo mode: enabled

Vcore: By CPU vid
DDR3 Voltage: auto
IOH: 1.10 V
QPI uncore: Default

Level 1 OC (Preset OC option on motherboard):
CPU freq: 3.36 Ghz
DDR3 freq:1600 Mhz
QPI: ~5.7 GT/s (Forgot to write this one down, so I am unsure of the exact number, but it was OC'd)

QPI freq: auto
Memory Ratio: 10

Blck: 160
Turbo mode: disabled

Vcore: +20 mV

**This is how the PC arrived, and ran for years. It became unstable with this mild OC about a year ago. The system would seemingly run fine for days, or even weeks of casual use, and then it would randomly blue screen. (Now that I think about it, the inconsistent nature of the problem would be consistent with memory issues.)

My OC Settings:
CPU freq: 3.57 Ghz
DDR3 freq:1360 Mhz
QPI: ? (Wouldn't boot, so Idk this figure)

QPI freq: 4.8 GT/s (I lowered this in accordance with a guide I read)
Memory Ratio: 8 (I lowered this to ensure the memory didn't get OC'd, also recommended in guides I read)

Blck: 170 (I increased this by 10, a small increase)
Turbo mode: disabled

Now, what happened.

The computerredacted!

It started, then immediately shut down. Then it started again, and ran for about a minute, and shut down again. Then it would just repeat this minute on, shutdown cycle. There is no video or beeping during this time. So, I was like ohh shit, I blew something up, which I did. I swear if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any.

Long story short, I diagnose the problem, and my 2nd memory slot is fried. If I plug memory into it, alongside other memory the system does the above. If I plug a single stick into that slot, the system won't recognize it all, and will start beeping (notifying me I have no memory)

Currently, I am running a stress test with the e5620 at stock speeds. It's been going 30 minutes now, and no issues.

My 2 cents,

I don't think I screwed up, but I am certainly no expert on OC'ing. I am thinking that memory slot was going bad anyways, which potentially caused my previous instability issues.

Currently I have the E5620 that I got in the mail today, and have been running an aida64 stress test at stock.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2000
You probably didn't do anything wrong. I'm not well-versed in Nehalem overclocking, but nothing you did seems too extreme. The board was probably flaky already. Your assessment seems rational.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Over tightening the CPU cooler may cause the loss of DIMMs registered by the system. This is a common problem with X58.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2005
your files probably got corrupt also, if you get it up and running open up an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
This is what I see that needs changing..

IOH go to 1.20 volts
QPI uncore to 1.30 volts

Vcore may need to come up to +25mV (depending on Bclk)

I also leave Turbo enabled, but not Spread Spectrum.

Last edited:

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Over tightening the CPU cooler may cause the loss of DIMMs registered by the system. This is a common problem with X58.
I actually started trying to OC the 930 to get comparative benchmarks before I installed the new xeon. I haven't touched the MB in a good 2 weeks.

Then again, I don't think I have been super over tightening it, but I have been messing with the CPU quite a bit here lately. Maybe a combination of all of the above along with the age of the system.

This is what I see that needs changing..

IOH go to 1.20 volts
QPI uncore to 1.30 volts

Vcore may need to come up to +25mV (depending on Bclk)

I also leave Turbo enabled, but not Spread Spectrum.
Can the QPI go too high, or should I not worry about that?

PS:
What kind of configuration do you guys think I should use for my memory?

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2457603

Last edited:

jihe

Nov 6, 2009
clear cmos. run stock.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
You need higher QPI volts for higher bclk, up to 1.35V. I use 1.325v for 200+bclk. 3X4Gb (12Gb) is fine in dual channel. My son's Asus P6X58 Deluxe has same prob as you, and he has gamed with it for more than a yr. without issue.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS