Well, South Ossetian independance sure did not last long.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Kremlin announces that South Ossetia will join 'one united Russian state'

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/t...ope/article4635843.ece

Now why am I not surprised at this turn of event?:roll: It's no wonder much of the civilized world does not trust Russia. I bet all the nearby states are not liking this one bit as it brings memories of the Russian invasions of Hungary and Czechoslovakia (where at least they departed after a while). The Baltic republics must be particularly concerned.

http://www.welt-atlas.de/daten...en/karte-0-9002-en.gif

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Time has a story too.

Russia intends to eventually absorb Georgia's breakaway province of South Ossetia, a South Ossetian official said Friday, three days after Moscow recognized the region as independent and drew criticism from the West.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I fail to see how you can compare this situation to the baltics, but ok.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This has very little to do with not trusting Russia. The fact is that most of the people in South Ossetia want to be a part of Russia, and many of them are already Russians. This is not a case of Russia forcefully taking over some country and making it part of Russia against the will of the inhabitants, this is Russia annexing an area that wants to be a part of Russia. I don't see the issue as long as that's the will of the population of that area --- and by all accounts it is.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Knew it was a land grab all along. Welcome to Cold War part II. Lets hope it never goes hot eh?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Knew it was a land grab all along. Welcome to Cold War part II. Lets hope it never goes hot eh?
Makes one wonder what the fuck the Bush Administration was doing letting Georgia put itself in such a compromising position.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Gee. Sakaashvili murders South Ossetians and razes their capital, and people are surprised the South Ossetians give Georgia the finger?

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Actually, satellite imaging showed that much of the damage was self-inflicted by militias burning the properties of ethnic Georgians to make sure they did not come back. There is a lot of evidence for fires (burnt roofs , etc...) but most walls are still standing and there's quite the scarcity of shell holes and bomb holes for a besieged city.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Joe
in the thread War in Europe as Olympics begin

The Freedom Loving Russian People are supporting the Right of all Slavic Peoples to Autonomy and political Self Determination.
As part of the new Russian empire, starting with Chechnya.

And Ossetia.

And Georgia.

And Ukraine? The Baltic States?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
This has very little to do with not trusting Russia. The fact is that most of the people in South Ossetia want to be a part of Russia, and many of them are already Russians. This is not a case of Russia forcefully taking over some country and making it part of Russia against the will of the inhabitants, this is Russia annexing an area that wants to be a part of Russia. I don't see the issue as long as that's the will of the population of that area --- and by all accounts it is.

i heard the Austrians and people in the Sudetenland were eager to be German citizen again as well.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: GrGr
Gee. Sakaashvili murders South Ossetians and razes their capital, and people are surprised the South Ossetians give Georgia the finger?

tell me when you come back to reality.

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007

GOOD NEWS!!!! This is like a million neo-con wet dreams come true. Another 50 year Cold War with Russia would be great for the defense industry and keeping American peons in line with threats of the big red boogeyman.

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

tell me when you come back to reality.

Do you dispute the fact that Georgia bombarded South Ossetian civilian areas first in a surprise attack?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Hey have we ever seen the evidence of the nearly 2000 people Russia claimed was killed by this supposed artillery strike?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Actually, satellite imaging showed that much of the damage was self-inflicted by militias burning the properties of ethnic Georgians to make sure they did not come back. There is a lot of evidence for fires (burnt roofs , etc...) but most walls are still standing and there's quite the scarcity of shell holes and bomb holes for a besieged city.

I have heard this as well.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Double Trouble

i heard the Austrians and people in the Sudetenland were eager to be German citizen again as well.

Stupid comparison. Was there a de facto independent section of Austria that was getting bombed/attacked by the Austrian government that was asking for the Germans to come in and protect them? Don't think so.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87

Hey have we ever seen the evidence of the nearly 2000 people Russia claimed was killed by this supposed artillery strike?

Regardless of the number of people killed, the facts are that the Georgian government attacked South Ossetia first. The South Ossetians, close to Russia anyway, asked the Russians for help, and the Russians (based on their own agenda) was happy to come in and stomp on Georgia. You have to look at issues from each side's perspective, not just from one side.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Makes one wonder what the fuck the Bush Administration was doing letting Georgia put itself in such a compromising position.

I want to know why Bush even let Russia invade to begin with. Hes obviously a traitor by telling the Russians to invade. Goddamn the Bushwhackos. Goddamn the Traitor in Cheef.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Sacrilege

GOOD NEWS!!!! This is like a million neo-con wet dreams come true. Another 50 year Cold War with Russia would be great for the defense industry and keeping American peons in line with threats of the big red boogeyman.

Actually it has far more to do with energy and reestablishment of old regimes then any neocon plan.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

I want to know why Bush even let Russia invade to begin with.
After Georgian Troops attacked S.O. there was nothing Bush could do except watch the opening ceremonies of the Olympics and make meaningless threats against Russia. He got owned by Putin very easily.

BTW WTF is up with your sig?

Buck Armstrong

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Oh who gives a shit? Its a tiny, insignificant little province anyway, and the people there don't want to be part of Georgia! Just let the Russians have their bone...this is not worth fighting WWIII over. It would be akin to Russia telling us not to annex Puerto Rico on pain of war.

Its ridiculous what this administration has degenerated into. How can they possibly think anyone alive cares what they say after Iraq and Kosovo? I'm not saying us backing Kosovo was wrong, but you can't immediately turn around and tell another puny province they can't do the same thing. How and when did our government get so fucking dumb?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Buck Armstrong
Oh who gives a shit? Its a tiny, insignificant little province anyway, and the people there don't want to be part of Georgia! Just let the Russians have their bone...this is not worth fighting WWIII over. It would be akin to Russia telling us not to annex Puerto Rico on pain of war.

Its ridiculous what this administration has degenerated into. How can they possibly think anyone alive cares what they say after Iraq and Kosovo? I'm not saying us backing Kosovo was wrong, but you can't immediately turn around and tell another puny province they can't do the same thing. How and when did our government get so fucking dumb?
On Jan 21 2001