well of course the number of 'defensive' gun incidents was a steaming pile of BS

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Just to keep things in perspective, let's look at two possible outcomes of armed intruders breaking into your home.
#1 They break into your home, beat the crap out of you, rape your wife, and take your stuff.
#2 They break into your home and you shoot one or all, preventing any further crime.

Conservatives and classical liberals will of course say #2 is by far the best outcome. Progressives however will argue that #1 is the best outcome, because there were no homicides and rape and robbery are lesser evils than is lethal self defense. That in a nutshell is the difference between the two outlooks on life.

Of course, proggies are at least dimly aware from experience that just blatantly stating that makes them look like raving lunatics, so they've gotten a bit more sophisticated, arguing that everyone should be disarmed because access to guns makes it easier to kill oneself (oddly enough, a right usually embraced by the left, but at least consistent with other proggie actions such as British limits on how many aspirin may be contained in one retail package) and increases the chances of accidental injury or death.

If you feel that your life and safety are no more valuable than a criminal's, you are a progressive and should not own a gun. If you feel that your life and safety are more valuable than a criminal's, you are not a progressive, in which case you are free to own a gun if you choose but as with any potentially deadly tool you should learn to use it responsibly.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Just to keep things in perspective, let's look at two possible outcomes of armed intruders breaking into your home.
#1 They break into your home, beat the crap out of you, rape your wife, and take your stuff.
#2 They break into your home and you shoot one or all, preventing any further crime.

Conservatives and classical liberals will of course say #2 is by far the best outcome. Progressives however will argue that #1 is the best outcome, because there were no homicides and rape and robbery are lesser evils than is lethal self defense. That in a nutshell is the difference between the two outlooks on life.

Of course, proggies are at least dimly aware from experience that just blatantly stating that makes them look like raving lunatics, so they've gotten a bit more sophisticated, arguing that everyone should be disarmed because access to guns makes it easier to kill oneself (oddly enough, a right usually embraced by the left, but at least consistent with other proggie actions such as British limits on how many aspirin may be contained in one retail package) and increases the chances of accidental injury or death.

If you feel that your life and safety are no more valuable than a criminal's, you are a progressive and should not own a gun. If you feel that your life and safety are more valuable than a criminal's, you are not a progressive, in which case you are free to own a gun if you choose but as with any potentially deadly tool you should learn to use it responsibly.
Christ, you really have built up an insane view of "proggies" in your head, haven't you?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Christ, you really have built up an insane view of "proggies" in your head, haven't you?

OK so simple question:

If someone broke into your house, would you rather have the option of defending you and your family or not?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Still better than the reality being demonstrated time and again in this thread, with "proggies" seeking to rescue the less intelligent than themselves from their foolish choices by dint of them providing us stoopids with their "education". "

What's the matter with Kansas," and if only they weren't too stupid to realize what's good for them we woulnd't have to remind them all the time.

Maybe guns should have a warning label: Caution; may cause progressives to become irrationally scared of an inanimate object.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
OK so simple question:

If someone broke into your house, would you rather have the option of defending you and your family or not?

I would rather have the option. Now, a question for you:

What are the odds that someone will not only break into my home, but break in while someone that can use said gun is also home?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Well, I wouldn't say proggies are actually insane, just insanely misguided, illogical, petulant, and suffering from a grossly overdeveloped sense of entitlement. :D

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Still better than the reality being demonstrated time and again in this thread, with "proggies" seeking to rescue the less intelligent than themselves from their foolish choices by dint of them providing us stoopids with their "education". "

What's the matter with Kansas," and if only they weren't too stupid to realize what's good for them we woulnd't have to remind them all the time.

Maybe guns should have a warning label: Caution; may cause progressives to become irrationally scared of an inanimate object.
When you guys rail against our "forced" education all I can picture is

3-letters-usa.jpg

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
When you guys rail against our "forced" education all I can picture is

3-letters-usa.jpg

The sad thing is someone would have to be that stoopid to NOT know that using a gun to attempt suicide is pretty much guaranteed to succeed:\

Makes me think you believe anyone who buys a gun matches that description:eek:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Had this exact conversation with a guy. He was #1 if it was someone else. #2 if it was his.

I think he was insane.
OK so simple question:

So do you still want to go to trial for murder?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Had this exact conversation with a guy. He was #1 if it was someone else. #2 if it was his.

I think he was insane.
So do you still want to go to trial for murder?

Of course what's funny is that werepossum is doing his regular combination of stupidity and insanity to arrive at that conclusion.

Forget ideology, the research says if you have a gun in your house you're more likely to die from either suicide or homicide. Apparently progressives say: that's something people should know.

Werepossum says that's a conspiracy by commie-nazis to take your freedom out of the sheer enjoyment of watching you die.

Remember, this is the same guy who said that progressives were part of a conspiracy to edit Wikipedia to make him wrong about economics.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

Your left out at least two other possible outcomes:

#3 You think you hear intruders breaking into your home through the window, you yell "Who's there" and warn the intruder you have a gun, but you get no response and see the window sill being pulled up and a dark form coming in. So you shoot . . . and discover you've just killed your teenage son, who was listening to loud music on this earphones and forgot his keys.
#4 You don't hear anyone breaking into your home, but your son (who knows the combination to your gun safe) has been getting bullied at school, and one day he gets the gun out of the safe and kills himself.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Of course what's funny is that werepossum is doing his regular combination of stupidity and insanity to arrive at that conclusion.

Forget ideology, the research says if you have a gun in your house you're more likely to die from either suicide or homicide. Apparently progressives say: that's something people should know.

Werepossum says that's a conspiracy by commie-nazis to take your freedom out of the sheer enjoyment of watching you die.

Remember, this is the same guy who said that progressives were part of a conspiracy to edit Wikipedia to make him wrong about economics.
Regardless of what Mike posted, the guy I mentioned was all for confiscating every gun until I put him and his wife in the equation. Then he said he'd kill the intruders. What gives? I'm not seeing why he has a disconnect.

Very curious about Bryant Gumbel's security and the others of the anti-gun crowd that have armed guards. Just makes no sense to me. Elitism is the only explanation that I can see.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Your left out at least two other possible outcomes:

#3 You think you hear intruders breaking into your home through the window, you yell "Who's there" and warn the intruder you have a gun, but you get no response and see the window sill being pulled up and a dark form coming in. So you shoot . . . and discover you've just killed your teenage son, who was listening to loud music on this earphones and forgot his keys.
#4 You don't hear anyone breaking into your home, but your son (who knows the combination to your gun safe) has been getting bullied at school, and one day he gets the gun out of the safe and kills himself.
#3 is a non starter. The kid would know that's a possibility.

#4 Is a definite possibility every gun owner should be aware of. Mine has shown zero interest in my guns but because of your post, I'll be looking for a box for my daily carry. Thanks.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
#3 is a non starter. The kid would know that's a possibility.

#4 Is a definite possibility every gun owner should be aware of. Mine has shown zero interest in my guns but because of your post, I'll be looking for a box for my daily carry. Thanks.

GunVault

Buy one right now.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Do I want to? No

Would I expect it? Yep
You'd accept the scrutiny, sure. Assuming MI has a castle law, there wouldn't be any. And there shouldn't be an issue at all.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 1st words out of your mouth will be, "I feared for my life. Lawyer.":thumbsup:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
You'd accept the scrutiny, sure. Assuming MI has a castle law, there wouldn't be any. And there shouldn't be an issue at all.

Also, I'm pretty sure the 1st words out of your mouth will be, "I feared for my life. Lawyer.":thumbsup:

We do have Castle.

"I was in fear for my life. I wish to remain silent until my lawyer is present.

Would you like some coffee? "