Well now I can say I am in the inflight wifi club.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
On my way to Australia, from Florida. In flight wifi rocks.
not a bad price for what I get. $12 for me $12 for the wife.

anyone else had experience with inflight WIFI.???

That is like a month of internet

Just for less than a day

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
On a flight to Australia from Florida? Hell yea inflight wifi is worth $24 for two! Hell I'd pay twice that for a flight that long. I flew from Los Angeles to New Zealand in 98 before there was inflight wifi, and damn I was bored to tears even with music, magazines, and books.

I think it's time to graduate to books with words in them.

Feb 6, 2007
This makes me feel incredibly old. Am I the only one here who ever had to pass a flight by *gasp* reading a BOOK? How can you be so blasé about such a hopeless addiction? If you're going to feed any addiction on a flight for $12, make it alcoholism; scotch makes flying awesome!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think it's time to graduate to books with words in them.

this.

I have no fucking clue why people refuse to read these days.

just shuffling back and forth, one place to the next, one little screen to the next screen, with a little pocket screen to keep them busy on the way.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
this.

I have no fucking clue why people refuse to read these days.

just shuffling back and forth, one place to the next, one little screen to the next screen, with a little pocket screen to keep them busy on the way.
I have a hard time reading while traveling. What's going on outside the window is too interesting, even on a plane. Internet is ideal for that. I can read a couple forum posts or something, and keep looking out the window. I'd never be able to concentrate on a book.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I have a hard time reading while traveling. What's going on outside the window is too interesting, even on a plane. Internet is ideal for that. I can read a couple forum posts or something, and keep looking out the window. I'd never be able to concentrate on a book.

No wonder no one gets anything done these days, we're all fucking ADD people. Christ.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Anything >100 effects gaming.

Over 200 is just unplayable

Anything above >30 effects gaming significantly, IMO. You can get away with 50-75 sometimes, but after that... you're going to lag like a mofo.

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Anything above >30 effects gaming significantly, IMO. You can get away with 50-75 sometimes, but after that... you're going to lag like a mofo.

Ah....*children*

I used to play TFC on AOL with a Ping in the low 300s.

Loved every fucking second of it.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
maybe it was just AirTran's wifi but that shit was SLOWWWWW i couldn't even browse without wanting to gouge my eyes.

last time i just loaded up the iPad with some movies/tv shows and a few games and the flight was over pretty quickly.

if the wifi was of decent speed i'd pay on a longer flight

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Does forum spam actually work? If I was trying to sell something, and somebody told me they'd spam forums to promote my product, I'd tell them to gtfo. Even a fraction of a penny per spam is too much money, and probably has negative value. Spamming companies automatically go to my blacklist, and there's a snowball's chance in hell of me giving them money.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Does forum spam actually work? If I was trying to sell something, and somebody told me they'd spam forums to promote my product, I'd tell them to gtfo. Even a fraction of a penny per spam is too much money, and probably has negative value. Spamming companies automatically go to my blacklist, and there's a snowball's chance in hell of me giving them money.
No, spamming never works.
Thats why millions of people do it billions of times every single day all over planet earth.

You dipstick.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
People do all kinds of dumb shit. Homeopathy didn't work in the 19th century, and it doesn't work in the 21st, yet here we are with homeopathy.

Reactions: WelshBloke

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Heyyyyyy its our weekly rez'ed thread! Was half way down page 2 before I realized this thread is 10 years old...

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
In flight Wi-Fi is (still!) usually slow and unreliable, not to mention overpriced. You're better off downloading your movies and shows in advance and watching them that way.

Maybe StarLink will fix this eventually. Come on St. Elon, save us from the great Satan of GoGo inflight wireless :)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
In flight Wi-Fi is (still!) usually slow and unreliable, not to mention overpriced. You're better off downloading your movies and shows in advance and watching them that way.

Maybe StarLink will fix this eventually. Come on St. Elon, save us from the great Satan of GoGo inflight wireless :)
You gonna drill a hole on the plane to put up your receiver dish?

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
On my way to Australia, from Florida. In flight wifi rocks.
not a bad price for what I get. $12 for me $12 for the wife.

anyone else had experience with inflight WIFI.???

Your getting ripped if the plane you are flying on is not older than 25 years. Anything newer, you have inflight entertainment right in front of you. Many airlines already have IM (messenger, telegram, and whatsapp) on Wifi free of charge, like Delta.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I haven't flown in quite some time, but these days, you had better believe that I would pay $12 for in-flight wifi. Even better would be an ethernet jack right in the hand-rest or in the seat-back in front of me, but I don't suppose that you can have everything that you would want.