well isn't this great. We are seizing weapons in NY.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Haven't time to find the link but in Buffalo a man was ordered to surrender all weapons because he was mistaken for another who was on depression meds. There's no legislation that allows this so the government used an incredibly bogus logic for employing HIPAA. Worse, it's tough enough to get a carry permit, but now people who have had mild SAD are disqualified. Lepers again.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Yep, it was the backdoor confiscation and was actually one of Obama's executive orders. Ever take any mental health medicine? Boom - confiscation and cannot own firearms.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You guys are never satisfied. From on high Wayne LaPierre says "thou shalt focus on mental heath when it comes to guns". They do that and you still bitch.

Feb 10, 2000
Yep, it was the backdoor confiscation and was actually one of Obama's executive orders. Ever take any mental health medicine? Boom - confiscation and cannot own firearms.

No, it was not. The executive orders he was contemplating are listed here - http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...-on-gun-safety-signed-today-by-the-president/ He never actually issued any of them. His actual executive orders are listed at http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/executive-orders

Since you're claiming this was "one of Obama's executive orders," please provide a source.

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
No, it was not. The executive orders are listed here - http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...-on-gun-safety-signed-today-by-the-president/

Since you're claiming this was "one of Obama's executive orders," please provide a source.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

Feb 10, 2000
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

That was never actually issued, spidey, nor would it have had the effect you claim. All of the President's executive orders are at http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-r...ecutive-orders

What's funny is that even the right-wing blogs reporting on this - see, e.g., http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ork-state-heres-the-justification-being-used/ - make it clear this has occurred under the auspices of NY state law, and make no claim that the President had anything to do with it (because he didn't). The story itself is very vague and leaves open the possibility that this guy's mental health providers felt he was dangerous. It does not appear that, as the OP says, this was a case of mistaken identity, since the guy's lawyer admits he was in fact medicated for a "short term mental health issue."

Show me a source or admit you were wrong.

Last edited:

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
That was never actually issued, spidey, nor would it have had the effect you claim. All of the President's executive orders are at http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-r...ecutive-orders

Show me a source or admit you were wrong.

Fine - proposed.

But this has been a concern for anybody who has been paying attention to the backdoor confiscation angles. To subvert HIPPA and use provisions of ACA to get access to medical records and subsequently use those for the NICS.

Feb 10, 2000
Fine - proposed.

But this has been a concern for anybody who has been paying attention to the backdoor confiscation angles. To subvert HIPPA and use provisions of ACA to get access to medical records and subsequently use those for the NICS.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with what happened here, which you explicitly claimed it did.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
You guys are never satisfied. From on high Wayne LaPierre says "thou shalt focus on mental heath when it comes to guns". They do that and you still bitch.

Can we have that leper colony? I mean anyone who was diagnosed with whatever minor condition is a threat as you see it. I think you can still cobble a gas chamber for cleansing the population of those you deem dangerous.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
So they're taking away guns from mental patients with perscriptions? Could be a good thing, could be the start of disarming us before WW3 so that we can more easily surrender and give up our country, rights, etc. to the New World Order....lmfao

Feb 10, 2000
Can we have that leper colony? I mean anyone who was diagnosed with whatever minor condition is a threat as you see it. I think you can still cobble a gas chamber for cleansing the population of those you deem dangerous.

I don't think anyone is calling for taking guns away from people who were prescribed Prozac, and the hyperbole of your post (restricting gun rights =/= "cleansing the population") does not further useful discussion IMO.

Conceptually the idea is preventing people who are floridly psychotic or who have told their psychological providers that they intend to commit violent crimes from owning guns. In theory, if that were the only limitation involved (I'm asking you to accept for purposes of my question that that can be achieved in practice, which is admittedly challenging), would you be OK with that?

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I say officially classify liberalism as a mental disorder but then again liberals don't own guns so what would be the point? :rolleyes:

Feb 10, 2000
Anytime. I sense you don't like it when someone makes something up and then uses is to advance an agenda?

The only people who have done that in this thread are spidey and you. And no, I don't like it.

For what it's worth, I know many Democrats who own guns, including me. My father, who is far more liberal than I am, owns several pistols, shotguns and rifles.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
The only people who have done that in this thread are spidey and you. And no, I don't like it.

For what it's worth, I know many Democrats who own guns, including me. My father, who is far more liberal than I am, owns several pistols, shotguns and rifles.

Your sarcasm meter is seriously broken.

Feb 10, 2000
Your sarcasm meter is seriously broken.

The sarcasm meter can't work when I'm reading posts by someone who never says anything coherent that is not trolling. Ironically now you're just needlessly deflecting a thread that you politically agree with. That is one downside of being an irredeemable troll.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I don't think anyone is calling for taking guns away from people who were prescribed Prozac, and the hyperbole of your post (restricting gun rights =/= "cleansing the population") does not further useful discussion IMO.

Conceptually the idea is preventing people who are floridly psychotic or who have told their psychological providers that they intend to commit violent crimes from owning guns. In theory, if that were the only limitation involved (I'm asking you to accept for purposes of my question that that can be achieved in practice, which is admittedly challenging), would you be OK with that?

Frankly what I quoted deserved such a response so I'll not apologize any more than I would if he picked blacks.

In the case where those who were deemed likely by past history to be violent? I'm fine with such limitations. Restrictions by prejudice? No.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I think if you are going to make the argument that these mass shootings are the result of metal disorders than wouldn't someone on depression medication be a huge risk in your mind? I personally think it’s a copout as we have had mentally ill people since day 1 and they weren’t walking into schools and blowing kids away till recently.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

We didn't mean taking guns away from everyone with mild depression. You know how many people get depressed and yet don't kill themselves or others? A fuck ton.

Feb 10, 2000
Frankly what I quoted deserved such a response so I'll not apologize any more than I would if he picked blacks.

In the case where those who were deemed likely by past history to be violent? I'm fine with such limitations. Restrictions by prejudice? No.

What you quoted was in no way offensive and I am at a loss to understand how you took it that way. Nobody is talking about lining up the mentally ill for execution - just taking more proactive steps to reduce the likelihood that those among the mentally ill who are particularly dangerous are able to commit mass mayhem and murder. Even Wayne LaPierre (as the post you quoted observed) has publicly agreed with this.

It probably is, accurately, "prejudicial" to say that people suffering from paranoid schizophrenia, for example, are much likelier than the general population to engage in random violence (which is true), and thus we as a society have determined that we don't want to put guns in their hands. This happens to be a form of prejudice that I believe is entirely warranted and in fact desirable as a means of protecting public safety. It is certainly not akin to executing the same group of people. I take it you don't agree, but can't we have a dialogue without resorting to hysterical hyperbole?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2000
We didn't mean taking guns away from everyone with mild depression. You know how many people get depressed and yet don't kill themselves or others? A fuck ton.

We really don't know what this individual's mental illness was, which would be important in determining whether it was appropriate to take his guns away. I certainly agree it would be totally inappropriate to take guns away from everyone suffering from mild depression, and I have not heard one voice advocating anything like that.