Well I said I wouldn't

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Was at the store yesterday, bored, all the yardwork more or less done, kid's soccer is over, don't feel like washing the truck, bailed on Vanguard, need a new game.

Absolutely nothing really grabbed me. I almost picked up LOTR Online just to check it out... but managed to resist. So I grabbed BF2142, since BF2 is one of the games I still play.

Played for about two hours last night. Graphics are pretty, and run smoothly on my system. But I think I was right, overall, in my initial fears about this game. BF2 had become an air/vehicle festival even more than BFV was, and BF2142 seems to take it to new heights. I'll have to play more tonight on some different mission types. So far it feels sort of bleh.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I hate the vehicles in BF2. I only play on infantry only servers in BF2. The air vehicles kill the game.

The infantry only maps with the boats are great.

The air vehicles add a very unbalanced gameplay with 10 teamates waiting for air vehicles to respawn. To make matters worse, you have to wait forever for someone to die in an air vehicle. And when they die, they immediately spawn right before the planes respawn.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
The air component of BF2 was one of the most ridiculous design decisions I have ever seen in a game. Hmm, let's see, what will make this game exciting? I know! We'll have choppers and jets that are nearly indestructible and impervious to ground fire, AND we'll just let them swoop low over the field to re-arm and repair. I don't know what could be better! Wait, I do! We'll give the jet pilots a radar display that lights up every target on the field. And we'll let them fly at 40 knots, take off nearly vertically, and turn on a dime.

BF2 would have been one of the greatest combat games ever if they had just fired the whole team that was working on air units.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
They'll never having a working air component when a person in a jeep can transverse the map in about 2 minutes.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
It's much easier to kill aircraft in bf2142 than in bf2 much easier. I've taken them out with tanks and you can even take em out with the shoulder mounted rocket if you so much desired.

Markbnj

Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Heh, I never signed on to any BF2142 boycott :). I just wasn't going to buy it.

And yeah, seems easier to take out air in BF2142, for sure.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
Hmm that's funny. I bought a copy for $20 during the after thanksgiving day sale Best Buy had, and I have yet to remove the plastic wrapper from it. I was trying to sell it but every time someone looks at it they give the same "Hmm looks cool, but nah." reaction. Maybe I'll finally install it when my new PC parts get here.