Well, I pulled the trigger on a Toshiba HD-A1 Player

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Got a good deal from Continental at $363, so I decided what the hell. For those of you who have it already, are you happy overall with your purchase?

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
That's a great price. Especially for new technology. I think HDVD is here to stay.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
I don't think its here to stay. I mean look, holographic storage devices are already in the testing stages. Sure, I want my HD movies on my 360, but is 25GB too little?

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ChAoTiCpInOy
I don't think its here to stay. I mean look, holographic storage devices are already in the testing stages. Sure, I want my HD movies on my 360, but is 25GB too little?

Dual Layer gives you 50GB (like DL DVDs gave ~9.4GB)

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
well, from what ihead, it is slow as a turtle. it takes like 1 minute to turn on. give it time. also, it only supports 1080i which kind of sucks. of course it is much cheaper then an $1k blu-ray drive. it is also very heavy. it's basically a linux computer with an HD-DVD drive.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Amol

Dual layer HD DVD is 30GB
Dual layer Blu-ray is 50GB

The Toshiba in the original post is an HD DVD player and he got it for a great price.

FlasHBurN

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
well, from what ihead, it is slow as a turtle. it takes like 1 minute to turn on. give it time. also, it only supports 1080i which kind of sucks. of course it is much cheaper then an $1k blu-ray drive. it is also very heavy. it's basically a linux computer with an HD-DVD drive.

The fact that it does 1080i and not 1080p doesn't mean much. The discs themselves are encoded at 1080p/24 and most 1080p TV's have proper deinterlacers so that the picture quality difference between a 1080i signal and 1080p signal is nonexistant.

Have a nice day. :)

FlasHBurN

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: KnightBreed

The Toshiba in the original post is an HD DVD player and he got it for a great price.

Especially since dual layer Blu-ray discs aren't available, and supposedly have extremely low (under 1%) yields.

Also, holographic storage isn't something that would be needed for high definition, 30GB (or 45GB if they get the TL's working) has already proven to be enough space. Holographic storage would be something that is only needed in the PC storage backup market.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Got a good deal from Continental at $363, so I decided what the hell. For those of you who have it already, are you happy overall with your purchase?

How did you get it at this price? let me know You will love this as my friend picked one up when they first came out and its great.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: KnightBreed

No such thing as 50GB media...its all hype

Feb 10, 2000
If there were more media out there I'd seriously consider getting one, and I will almost certainly get the HD-DVD add-on for Xbox360. All the initial reviews seem to indicate that HD-DVD is superior to Blu-Ray apples to apples. We shall see . . .

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

That and HD-DVD is using a MPEG-4 video codec (VC-1) which means more space for that 30GB. Blu-Ray is still using MPEG-2.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: DonVito
If there were more media out there I'd seriously consider getting one, and I will almost certainly get the HD-DVD add-on for Xbox360. All the initial reviews seem to indicate that HD-DVD is superior to Blu-Ray apples to apples. We shall see . . .

Just over 80 titles for HD-DVD are out right now. Just over 50 titles for Blu-Ray.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The greatest issue with Bluray is a combination of a non-existent dual-layer disc (current BDs are 25GB) and the use of the ancient MPEG2 codec. In the other corner of the ring you have HD-DVD with 30GB dual-layer discs and use of the advanced VC-1 codec.

I think all of us are tech-savvy enough to realize that Bluray's combination of less disk space and a less efficient codec is going to result in a worse picture than HD-DVD.

Then there's the studio support angle. Bluray: Paramount, Warner Brothers, Sony, Fox, Disney. HD-DVD: Universal, Paramount, Warner Brothers, Studio Canale. But Warner's put out 50% of the top movies of the last year - quality over quantity?

You likely made the right purchase.

jmgonzalez

Dec 1, 1999
Originally posted by: mrrman
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats

How did you get it at this price? let me know You will love this as my friend picked one up when they first came out and its great.

Acquire 100 points somehow - shop on another site linked from continental.

Pay $363 SHIPPED, plus 100 points for the HD-DVD player

I bought one at release and love it

Serenity, Aeon Flux, Chronicles of Riddick are my top 3 'jaw-dropping' movies right now

I have this plugged into a Panasonic 42" EDTV

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: jmgonzalez

Acquire 100 points somehow - shop on another site linked from continental.

Pay $363 SHIPPED, plus 100 points for the HD-DVD player

I bought one at release and love it

Serenity, Aeon Flux, Chronicles of Riddick are my top 3 'jaw-dropping' movies right now

I have this plugged into a Panasonic 42" EDTV

:confused: