Well, I finally did it. (Got screwed by securom)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I've had Neverwinter Nights 2 installed for a long time. (Been working fine.)
Had Test Drive Unlimited installed for a few weeks. Got the 1.66A patch as soon as I installed it. (Been working fine.)
Just installed Dark Messiah of Might & Magic yesterday.

After hearing about all the cool stuff in the newest patch of NWN2 I went and downloaded it. (1.10)

NOW.......
My system wont find the discs for TDU, NWN2 and DMM&M. I cant play any of them.
This is the first time since I've installed TDU and DMM&M that I ran NWN2 and it was with the latest patch. Did not run NWN2 before I got the 1.10 patch.

When I run TDU I get this in a popup message:

"No disc inserted.
Please insert the original "Test Drive Unlimited" CD/DVD.
Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=nodisc for further, more detailed information."

The web page tells me:

"SecuROM? has determined that there is no disc in a local physical drive. Please follow these steps to help resolve the issue:

If you can find the disc in your Windows? Explorer, there could be a software conflict.
A possible cause might be a CD/DVD burning software (e.g. Sonic DLA, Stomp RecordNow Max, ?) which uses the DLA (drive letter access) technology. You can disable DLA following these steps:
Click Windows? 'Start' and select 'Run'
Type 'cmd' to get the command prompt and hit Enter/OK
Type 'dla disable e:' where 'e:' is the drive's assigned letter
If the problem persists, or you need additional assistance, please send a SecuROM? analysis file to support@securom.com (see Support Info section on how to prepare and send an analysis file). "

I tried all that stuff and it didnt work and I havent got a response.
The DVD drive itself works just fine, and older games like Baldurs Gate 2 are working OK.
I want to know what to install/uninstall if anything, but I cant seem to find an up-to-date list of securom games anywhere.

What is the best method for dealing with this? I didnt like DMM&M at all, TDU is getting boring, and I really want to get back into NWN2.
Should I just uninstall the other two games and hope for the best?

EDIT:
I can not find the discs in explorer, and I havent used any hacks or altered EXE's.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
This was in the NWN2 MotB thread:

Text

It seems the latest NWN2 patch screws all your CD keys, making games unplayable.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yeah its NWN2 just not being able to patch a game right.

but securom still fuvcking sucks.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah, good ol securom.

I have a directory on an old partition that I cannot delete because it contains a directory made by securom. It can't be deleted in safe mode, with a boot disk or anything else I have tried. It always comes up as an error that the file cannot be found, or doesn't exist.

Got to love companies that put stuff on my pc without my permission that I can't delete.
I'll have to format the drive to remove it, but its just a backup partition now so no hurry.

I have other programs on my pc that are node locked using flexlm.
Why can't game companies use that ?
It works so well and doesn't screw up the system or require a damn cd be inserted every time you use the application.

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
as a test, iirc, i've removed the securom config directory before by doing a rmdir /S/Q dirname in winxp, no problem.

IdaGno

Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Modelworks

I have a directory on an old partition that I cannot delete because it contains a directory made by securom. It can't be deleted in safe mode, with a boot disk or anything else I have tried. It always comes up as an error that the file cannot be found, or doesn't exist.

tried this yet?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Man, that sucks. I was just looking at Wikipedia and they list the following games that use Secorum.

Armed Assualt
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
NWN2
C&C3:TW
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Overlord
Bioshock
World In Conflict
A few The Sims addon packs

Something about it not allowing the games to run with MS Process Exploerer, "prevents the game from running at all if Process Explorer, a free tool offered by Microsoft, has been run since the previous reboot" Supposed to be a workaround to it though. I guess I'll avoid these games for a while. I got STALKER but havent installed it yet.

Here's the Wikipedia addy for those interested in the whole article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Tried unlocker and everything else out there.
The config files can be deleted, its the damn system files I can't get rid of.
You have to enable show hidden and system files to see them.

The two files in there are :
???????????p?????????.sys
???????????p?????????.sys

Error is "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from source file or disk"

I though it was corrupt files at first, but nope all disk tools say the file system is fine.