Well Crap.

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hello Team,

We found out today that my mother has stage 1 invasive ductal carcenoma. In light of this I have decided to take a pro-active role in cancer research through distributed computing and other means. I have joined the United Devices grid.org program and set my client to their cancer research program, out of all the research I did on such programs theirs seems to be one of the better clients available. Tho I have reservations about United Devices due to the McOwen case and their employees stance on that incident, because of the quality of the client I feel that I need to put that behind me to be able to dedicated my CPU to the cause.

I encourage all of you to make an honorary donation to the https://secure.nfcr.org/Default.aspx?tabid=123&List=1&ProductID=4">National Foundation for Cancer Research</a>

In my mothers name. here is our information for you to do that

First Name: Kathleen
Last Name: Thorpe
Address: 5583 Basil ST NE
City: Salem
State: Oregon
Zip: 97301
E-mail: CancerHelp@cleanyourdirt.com
Phone: 503.507.1271

You can also make a donation to the https://www.cancer.org/asp/donate/don_multi_donate.asp?navToScreen=don_1">American Cancer Society</a>

If you want to donate anonymously, just make it from Team AnandTech.

If you rather get some swag for your donation I will be making a run of Case badges from an old TeAm logo from the AT store days, and some T-shirts, All proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society or the National Foundation for Cancer Research. It's going to take me a few weeks to get that set up tho.

Althought we have Health Coverage that is going to cover most of the medical costs I do belive that we will be stuck fitting some of the bill. If you would like to help in that regard we have a paypal account you can do that to the address is;
billing@techmayhem.net

I will keep everyone apprised of the status of that account and anything not needed / used will be donated to the ACS or NFCR.

I thank you all from the bottem of my heart for your thoughts during this difficult time for my family. I'm not a religous person, but if you would keep us in your prayers we'd greatly appreciate it.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
My heart is with youi Narzy.
rose.gif

I wish you all the best. Please realize that parents are never around as long as we want them to be and I urge you to spend as much time with her as you can.

I hope she has a speedy recovery as well

Mike

edit "but if you would keep us in your prayers we'd greatly appreciate it."
Will do bro.

Aug 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
rose.gif

I wish you all the best. Please realize that parents are never around as long as we want them to be and I urge you to spend as much time with her as you can.

Mike
Can't add anything better than that. Our prayers for your family.

xbassman

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2001
This is sad news Narcy....
I found out the same of my wife's grandmother Friday as well....

UD has had some server downtime this week, I hope you didn't have any problems getting started. Hopefully they will have all the server problems ironed out soon.
Anyway, welcome to TA UD.

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
That blows xbassman :( It seems a few in the AT community are in a similar situation (refer thread in off topic.) perhaps an AT support group on the matter wouldn't be out of the question.

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Sorry to hear about your Mom Narzy!

On the positive note the sucess rate has improved dramatically for breast cancer victims! Our prayers will be with you!

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: JWMiddleton

On the positive note the success rate has improved dramatically for breast cancer victims! Our prayers will be with you!

I was just about to post the same thought. A positive attitude is most important.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Smoke

On the positive note the success rate has improved dramatically for breast cancer victims! Our prayers will be with you!

I was just about to post the same thought. A positive attitude is most important.

agreed.

Narzy, Prayers to your mom, you, and your family.

Xbassman, Prayers to your grandmother-in-law, you, your wife, and your family.
rose.gif

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Narzy, you and your family will be in my prayers.

Xbassman, you and your family will be in my prayers also.

Geoff

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
rose.gif

Mike

edit "but if you would keep us in your prayers we'd greatly appreciate it."
Will do bro.

Mike said it very well.
Narzy, xbassman, you have my sympathy
rose.gif
. Please do not give up; it really is worth fighting, and I see that you are doing just that. As Mike said: take time with your mom, it will make it easier for her and for you. The qualty of life will be better for both!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Prayers to your Mom and your family Tim.

I lost my Mom to breast cancer 4 yrs ago on her 60th birthday and my ex lost her 38 yr old sister to it the year before.

With Seti classic ending it may just be time to dedicate machine power to finding the cure for this devastating disease.

On a personal note I have had a lump in my left breast for a few weeks now and it hurts but I do not have insurance to get biopsy and MRI.

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
That's awful, Narzy :( Best wishes to her for recovery
rose.gif

Cancer runs in my family, and some family friends have it too....that's why I run FaD's cancer project.

JC

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Smoke

I was thinking the same thing. Just be there to support her.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Sorry to hear such bad news narzy & xbassman :(

Keeps you spirits up though, as was said earlier, "A positive attitude is most important."

wischeez

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2004
Sorry to hear about that bit of news Narzy :(

My wife developed breast cancer in 1994 and elected for the full-mastectomy. To this day,she has had no recurance of it. She is checked every year to be on the safe side. There are survivors with breast cancer,and I hope she turns out to be one of them.
Just be there for her,she will need the encouragement to fight this. Good luck to you and your
family. I know she can beat this with your help, and trusting the Doctors.

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
As someone whose Mom passed away a mere 19 days ago after a 6 year struggle with ovarian Cancer, you have my best wishes and what prayers (and gods) I speak with are with you. It sucks, but there are remisions and long-lived lives. My best advice to to make every second from now on with her count, to the fullest.

best, and still coping myself, barely, often on the ragged edge or beyond....

-jim

xbassman

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Prayers to your Mom and your family Tim.

I lost my Mom to breast cancer 4 yrs ago on her 60th birthday and my ex lost her 38 yr old sister to it the year before.

With Seti classic ending it may just be time to dedicate machine power to finding the cure for this devastating disease.

On a personal note I have had a lump in my left breast for a few weeks now and it hurts but I do not have insurance to get biopsy and MRI.

I started running UD after my ex-wife's mother had a successful bout with breast cancer. All I could think was that my daughter hopefully won't have to deal with this as she gets older.

What struck me by your comment was the fact that you have a symptom and haven't gone to see a doctor. Listen to me when I say this....Cancer CAN be beaten if diagnosed in time! If you have to rob a bank to go to the doc DO IT! This is not something to ignore, I have watched 2 people I know wait until it was too late.

I am not trying to get on your case, but with cancer time is not something that you can waste.... (please find a way to get that biopsy!)

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Well, Stage 1 is early. Here is hoping that it can be knocked out with early treatment.
My thoughts and best wishes to your mom and you.

narzy

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2000
The recovery / Cancer Foundation Donation fund is now at $50, Do know that I am checking this thread every chance I get and printing the new replies for my mother. I just can't express how thankful I am for all the kind words and thoughts.

Got a call from the surgen today, she is schedualed to go in on tuesday for a pre-op evaluation.

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
So sorry to hear this but as others have stated it is very good that it has been detected early. Try to stay positive and not dwell on the road ahead but instead look forward to working past this. I am sure even though everyone here may not post in this thread that they do read and they will keep this in their thoughts and prayers!