Well, Bush is pre-pardoning himself and his administration for war crimes...

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I don't think this should come as a shock to any one. Pre-emptive wars, pre-emptive pardons, POS worst President ever. Hands down.

laFiera

May 12, 2001
as if the democrats would do anything about it...didnt' they also vote for this bill? reps and dems are all the same---bunch of sold out politicians.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Americans are the one to blame. We allow these politicans to corrupt our country.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Let him pass what he wants---then ship him off to the Hague for war crimes.---and see how long his ex post facto pardon lasts---or see if anyone is confused on the definition of
torture---which is pretty clear to everyone except GWB.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Let him pass what he wants---then ship him off to the Hague for war crimes.---and see how long his ex post facto pardon lasts---or see if anyone is confused on the definition of

But the problem is that a lot of Americans simply don't care. On the world scale, GWB and his remaining supporters are off in the weeds...but here in America, we aren't used to dealing with terrorism, and even 5 years after the fact, enough Americans are SO terrified by the prospect of another 9/11 that they will support ANY measure if GWB promises it will keep them safe.

If tomorrow GWB and the Republicans in Congress announced they were going to push through a bill making it illegal to vote Democrat, because Democrats were "hurting the war effort", I am pretty convinced that most of GWB's current supporters would line up around the block to support it. It's not about rational balance between security and liberty, it's about being terrified and being willing to do ANYTHING at all to feel safer.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: babylon5
Americans are the one to blame. We allow these politicans to corrupt our country.

So true. There are even slime today who support this criminal in what he does after all we have seen as to what a slime ball he is doubtlessly also more than half of congress. We have been infected by a terrible disease and the country is dying.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
if he had to go through pardoning himself against violating the geneva convention in the past

then is there any question that he broke the law and according the laws referenced could be centenced to jail or even death?

martinez

May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law

I would've thought you, and most politically aware Americans, knew that the U.S doesn't recognize the International Court at The Hague. America totally disregards international law, has done for a long time.

The Bush administration has merely been continuing a foreign policy direction that Teddy Roosevelt was instrumental in putting forth. Later, Kennedy among others stepped it up. The difference is that this administration is both far more arrogant and less tactful (read statesmanlike) and therefore alot see them for what they are......hegemonistic war criminals.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I would've thought you, and most politically aware Americans, knew that the U.S doesn't recognize the International Court at The Hague. America totally disregards international law, has done for a long time.

Incorrect - we recognize the international court at The Hague. For others. We are happy to send people there, to help with trials like Milosevich; we only don't recognize it for our own crimes. Just as we use the UN for things like sanctions on Iraq, but would veto any accountability for our Iraq invasion. It's good to be the king.

therefore alot see them for what they are......hegemonistic war criminals.

It's just too bad 'a lot' is limited to just under half the US population and most of the world.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Wow. This really is an admission of guilt. This is unbelievable. Wow. Does anyone have a link to the proposed bill? More people need to know about it.

slash196

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2004
Until Democrats take over, repeal the law, and ship those criminals to The Netherlands for "processing".

martinez

May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234

Incorrect - we recognize the international court at The Hague. For others. We are happy to send people there, to help with trials like Milosevich; we only don't recognize it for our own crimes. Just as we use the UN for things like sanctions on Iraq, but would veto any accountability for our Iraq invasion. It's good to be the king.

therefore alot see them for what they are......hegemonistic war criminals.

It's just too bad 'a lot' is limited to just under half the US population and most of the world.

Well put. You do recognize it's right to try others. :p

It's good to be King sure, but if your subjects decide your rule is tyrranical your in for a rough ride. Speaking as an Aussie, and we are like the Kings favoured Prince at the moment(acting like the 52nd state behind the 51st the U.K) I yearn for the end of Mad King Georges' reign.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Speaking as an Aussie, and we are like the Kings favoured Prince at the moment(acting like the 52nd state behind the 51st the U.K) I yearn for the end of Mad King Georges' reign.

Aussies (not you) confuse me.

I understand how we Americans, as the citizens of the grand new empire are easily seduced that our poop belongs in perfume bottles and our torture is just and right, and I understand how virtually every other nation looks at us and, well, the survey ranking us the #1 threat to world peace says it well.

What I fail to understand is why this island (ok, Pluto-like dwarf continent) on the other side of the world is filled mostly with people who seem immune to the truths that Europe and other westerns see, and does act like you said, a 52nd state. I just don't get that. Though the bastards did give us Rupert Murdoch and his evil spawn.

I'd be interested to hear from you how that's the case - and how do we get Australia back to sanity?

I understand England with a foreign policy is "relevance under the wing of our former colony" and the people largely against Bush, but you guys aren't in that position are you?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
umm, how would any "pardon" issued by one's own congress prevent or have any impact whatsoever on international war crimes charges, if such charges were ever brought against Bush in the UN or in the world court? Anything in the legislation to that effect would be as useless as Saddam giving himself a pardon prior to our invasion, or Milosivic, etc.

I'm willing to bet that the legislation gives soldiers and agents immunity for anything they may have done at the behest of the President, moreso than anyone who actually holds high office. I would really like to see the paortion of the bill that they are referring to in the video.

Two things:
1) The CNN video did not tell us which portion of the bill specifically "retroactively pardons the President." This information would be nice.
2) I personally do not believe that the President has done anything to be pardoned for. I could be wrong...

more specific info would be swell.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
The only thing that makes me worry for the future of the United States is that people such as those that have posted in this thread will be the ones controlling it.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse74
umm, how would any "pardon" issued by one's own congress prevent or have any impact whatsoever on international war crimes charges, if such charges were ever brought against Bush in the UN or in the world court? Anything in the legislation to that effect would be as useless as Saddam giving himself a pardon prior to our invasion, or Milosivic, etc.

I'm willing to bet that the legislation gives soldiers and agents immunity for anything they may have done at the behest of the President, moreso than anyone who actually holds high office. I would really like to see the paortion of the bill that they are referring to in the video.

Two things:
1) The CNN video did not tell us which portion of the bill specifically "retroactively pardons the President." This information would be nice.
2) I personally do not believe that the President has done anything to be pardoned for. I could be wrong...

more specific info would be swell.

"2) I personally do not believe that the President has done anything to be pardoned for. I could be wrong... "

Well, the president obviously thinks he is right on the border of it, or else it wouldn't have been included...

Btw, you have personally believed that we should troture, that we should continue the war in Iraq, and back of the president 99.9% of the time.. so this should come as a surprise to us ...how?

mc00

Jan 25, 2005
man very sad...

but I bet if CNN, MSNBC,ABC,other bs media would report "50% TAX Increase on our paycheck and $6 per gallon" America would get up and fight.. but we have lying SOB running the country they don't care.. just keep me safe and lower the taxes and gas, and live on with life.. bah!

martinez

May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Saddam doesn't have veto in the UNSC and the U.S has exempted its citizens/soldiers(I assume that includes the CINC) from prosecution by the court at the Hague.

@Craig

We're in a unique position in world politics at the moment. We are extremely reliant economically on our close ties to the U.S, this is the reason our government hasn't been thrown out of office. They have convinced the voting public that to vote in the Lbour Party would be a disaster economically.

So for that, they forgave our PM his brown nosing of the current U.S administration at the last election.

As a fiscal conservative myself, I have always voted for Liberal(which is the right in Australia :s) party, but voted for the opposition based on the blatant kowtowing done to Bush by Howard.

I'm as baffled as you, cause everyone I talk to who is even a little bit informed feels much the same way(but maybe not to the extent I do).